• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Found a web hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
No adverts!
Reliable Unix server
50MB webspace
50MB monthly data transfer (bandwidth)
Use your own domain name (if you prefer)
Apache file server
24/7 FTP access
CGI bin
PHP

::..What..::

This is what you get

No adverts!
Reliable Unix server
50MB webspace
50MB monthly data transfer (bandwidth) [what the heck 50mb monthly....]
Use your own domain name
:: original from ableinternet ::

I don't see you guys paying the bills, so don't bitch. The 50 MB/month limit I bet is there to keep people that abuse out. ;);)

Why would the dude that runs ableinternet.com want to give 1 account to you greedy punks that say "too little" when he can give 20 to people that only have a small personal site, don't want to be placed on crappy and/or slow servers. Really, when you get the bill for bandwidth, then you guys can bitch and say "too little".

gt14, that's not a joke, being down for 2+ weeks is a joke! :rolleyes:

This ableinternet was up a month ago here. Lol, it's going just like it did back then. The bandwidth is a major weakness.

Like I said a month ago, "all the other features are useless if nobody can visit your site" because 50 megs can be used up, on my site, in an hour.

Tip for the owner: Raise the bandwidth by about 2 or 3 gigs or else you will probably get no sign-ups at all unless they are really stupid. :p

BTW, the bandwidth used to be 100megs, but the owner lowered it to 50megs. Lol, I lot of good that'll do him. Real smart. :biggrin2:

Last edited:
um there's something wrong with them though, I just signed up and it does say :

This is what you get

No adverts!
Reliable Unix server
50MB webspace
50MB monthly data transfer (bandwidth)
Use your own domain name (if you prefer)
Apache file server
24/7 FTP access
CGI bin
PHP

but once you sign up it also says :

No CGI mailing lists

Isn't that like saying "you can have this, but you can only use these."

As for the bandwidth, at least it's free, or would you much rather pay the bill for it Joseph ? :D

Originally posted by Joseph89Digimon
This ableinternet was up a month ago here. Lol, it's going just like it did back then. The bandwidth is a major weakness.

Like I said a month ago, "all the other features are useless if nobody can visit your site" because 50 megs can be used up, on my site, in an hour.

Tip for the owner: Raise the bandwidth by about 2 or 3 gigs or else you will probably get no sign-ups at all unless they are really stupid. :p

BTW, the bandwidth used to be 100megs, but the owner lowered it to 50megs. Lol, I lot of good that'll do him. Real smart. :biggrin2:

How old are you?? From the text in your, sig under 21!

Let's add the costs of running a service..

Server: $2500+ (for a good one)
Bandwidth: $6-10/GB (good bandwidth, not cheap cogent crap)
Time to admin the server: $80-$160/hour

Just a little more then your $5 for milk :p

Now, add all that up, then ask yourself this question...

"Can I pay all that with a CPM of less then $5.00??" No!

Ahhh, they have no banners.. so.. how do you pay for this (with no income)?? You can't. So, you only get 50 MB/month.

Until you grow up and fully understand that things costs money (not... oh mommy, $20?). Don't comment on how hosts run their service nor say "Raise the bandwidth by about 2 or 3 gigs". I'm sure the owner would rather buy a few cases of beer then pay your bandwidth bill.

Night: CGI Mailing Lists use a ton of CGI/SMTP resources. That's why. Most hosts (paid or not) do ban scripts for security reasons etc. Just think of it this way, would you want your site to go down because some prick used a cgi mailing list on the server your hosted on?? I would think no.

Originally posted by the elf

Bandwidth: $6-10/GB (good bandwidth, not cheap cogent crap)

Anyone who pays that much for "data transfer," which isn't even tangible (traffic is traffic), is probably buying from a greedy party who is price gouging their customers. If Hosting Extreme can charge only $.75/gb traffic on their paid hosting plans, and NO OTHER FEES, then traffic isn't really that expensive for the host to buy.

Until you grow up and fully understand that things costs money (not... oh mommy, $20?). Don't comment on how hosts run their service nor say "Raise the bandwidth by about 2 or 3 gigs". I'm sure the owner would rather buy a few cases of beer then pay your bandwidth bill.

If that's the kind of attitude the host has, then it doesn't deserve to offer free hosting!

Last edited:
Originally posted by Cracker

Anyone who pays that much for "data transfer," which isn't even tangible (traffic is traffic), is probably buying from a greedy party who is price gouging their customers. If Hosting Extreme can charge only $.75/gb traffic on their paid hosting plans, and NO OTHER FEES, then traffic isn't really that expensive for the host to buy.

If that's the kind of attitude the host has, then it doesn't deserve to offer free hosting!

Note I said not cheap cogent bandwidth. And traffic is not traffic, there is good traffic and bad traffic. By that I mean a top of the line provider, or a RS (cogent crap) server. Like UUnet to cogent, get it? :) If you want good traffic, you pay. If you want cheap traffic, you suffer with bad pings, overloaded networks and the list goes on. And yes, the TELCO is a "greedy party".

You pay for what you get, $6-10/gb good peering. Cogent, your data is sent all over the place. A balanced network to a overloaded network. You pick.

As to "If that's the kind of attitude the host has, then it doesn't deserve to offer free hosting!", so you think it's ok for people to think that everything is free?? All the people on this thread seem to do is slam the provider yet fail to see that there are costs, and the owner wants to keep those costs low. Why offer 2-3 GB transfer when the users will only (most of the time) upload a BB or software and abuse the service.

Not every host uses RS servers (or cogent bandwidth) to provide free hosting, so lets not assume all traffic is $.75/GB, and not every free host pays $99/month. And it's also $6-10 CAD, so... about $4-$6 USD.

Night: CGI Mailing Lists use a ton of CGI/SMTP resources. That's why. Most hosts (paid or not) do ban scripts for security reasons etc. Just think of it this way, would you want your site to go down because some prick used a cgi mailing list on the server your hosted on?? I would think no.

ok I know that cgi does use up alot of resources, but isn't that statement made by them like shooting themselves in the foot ? :biggrin2:

Originally posted by Night

ok I know that cgi does use up alot of resources, but isn't that statement made by them like shooting themselves in the foot ? :biggrin2:

No not really.

Same thing as driving your car in a 10 MPH zone, your car can go faster then 10 MPH, but if you go faster, you'll get a fine (if they catch you) :) You can use CGI, just not anything they think *may* slow it down. In this case, CGI Mailing Lists.

Note I said not cheap cogent bandwidth. And traffic is not traffic, there is good traffic and bad traffic. By that I mean a top of the line provider, or a RS (cogent crap) server. Like UUnet to cogent, get it? :) If you want good traffic, you pay. If you want cheap traffic, you suffer with bad pings, overloaded networks and the list goes on. And yes, the TELCO is a "greedy party".

You pay for what you get, $6-10/gb good peering. Cogent, your data is sent all over the place. A balanced network to a overloaded network. You pick.

For being hosted on an "overloaded network," CDIWeb/Hosting Extreme sure is fast.

Originally posted by Cracker

For being hosted on an "overloaded network," CDIWeb/Hosting Extreme sure is fast.

Overloaded can mean a few things,

Too many users (slow)
Too many customers (oversold however not slow, at times)

A balanced 1:1 network or a oversold 30:1 network. Just think if all the cogent customers used the "full" 100 Mbps how slow it would be.

Once cogent is gone, you'll see the price of bandwidth go back to a more "standard" price. No more 10 GB transfer packages for $5.

Hmm...

Oh wow your smart...

Lets see...Last week the cogent line was down because it got cut...Was my hosting down...Umm no? Oh gee =)

Last time I checked they have quite a few providers...If cogent is the quickest route of course it uses it...But mostly uses the other providers

If cogent went out my prices would not change...As cogent is not my main line source...Don't cha think I already thought about this?

Jon

Originally posted by HostingExtreme
Hmm...

Oh wow your smart...

Lets see...Last week the cogent line was down because it got cut...Was my hosting down...Umm no? Oh gee =)

Last time I checked they have quite a few providers...If cogent is the quickest route of course it uses it...But mostly uses the other providers

If cogent went out my prices would not change...As cogent is not my main line source...Don't cha think I already thought about this?

Jon

Dude, your little RS server is located on a oversold network, any fool can figure that out. If the price of cogent lines would go up, it would affect your overall price because it would affect the overall price that RS pays. If you keep your current prices, you'll lose profit. I'm not even going to start on your unlimited disk space plan! Any hosting company that offers unlimited disk space is run my morons.

And I quote...

Overloaded can mean a few things,

Too many users (slow)
Too many customers (oversold however not slow, at times)

I like how you say "lines" like cogent or whoever terminates them at your your location just for you, look at the below,

[root@castlegar public_html]# host HostingExtreme.com
HostingExtreme.com has address 216.40.243.208
HostingExtreme.com mail is handled (pri=10) by mail.HostingExtreme.com
[root@castlegar public_html]# whois 216.40.243.208@whois.arin.net
[whois.arin.net]
Everyones Internet, Inc. (NETBLK-EVRY-BLK-6)
2600 Southwest Frwy Suite 500
Houston, TX 77098
US

Netname: EVRY-BLK-6
Netblock: 216.40.192.0 - 216.40.255.255
Maintainer: EVRY

Coordinator:
Williams, Randy (RW172-ARIN) admin@ev1.net
(713) 400-5400 x255

Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

NS1.EV1.NET 216.88.76.6
NS2.EV1.NET 216.88.77.7

ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

Record last updated on 05-Oct-2001.
Database last updated on 25-Jul-2002 20:00:35 EDT.

The ARIN Registration Services Host contains ONLY Internet
Network Information: Networks, ASN's, and related POC's.
Please use the whois server at rs.internic.net for DOMAIN related
Information and whois.nic.mil for NIPRNET Information.

[root@castlegar public_html]#

I don't know why you would say "lines" when dedicated server, upstream or data center would fit your type of company better.

I don't care how many lines RS has, cogent is still crappy. If you look at http://www.rackshack.net/aboutus/networks.asp you will see that RS sends more traffic (about a 120 Mbps or so) over cogent. So before you comment, get the facts buddy.

P.S. You should solve your problem with gt14 because a few people here are sick and tired of him posting "will help me", fix the problem or drop him. Don't leave the guy hanging like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back