• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Fraud Scammer - Be Aware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Bullah
NLC
On the 19th of Feb, I received payment for a reseller package, addon of 1GB of Transfer and a domain. I set up the account and registered the domain.

Today, I received an email from PayPal stating the account transaction was put on hold due to Unauthorised Access of a PayPal account. PayPal said that if it is proven to be spoof or fraud, they will cover the costs so I should be ok.

Here are the details of the Scammer:

Email: Svenskpopis@hotmail.com
Name: Jonte Olzone
Address:
fasagatan 4,
Harnisund, Vasternorrland, 00247
Sweden
Tel: 4646295555

They found Deise Host here: http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2182376

Please be very careful and if you are a host and are not verified with PayPal, please get Verified. You have more protection against scumbags like this.

Since this happened, we have now also registered with Maxmind Fraud Detection.

Dan

Yea we have the same problem, but with people who rent dedicated server.
Now we are going to try to send it to a collection agency to get our money back.

We are now going to do Telephone Verification for all Transactions using PayPal or Credit Card via PayPal.

Yes, we have received 2 orders from him one for the highest reseller package we have and a whmcs license

This happened yesterday thankfully he didnt auctually pay us via paypal well we didnt get a payment at all.

Dan,

We have had 4 orders from this person. 2 domains and 2 servers. All have been setup, we are verified with paypal, and I will make sure we are covered at all angles.

Thanks for the heads up - We can prepare!

Also: Mindmax did not pick this up;

Distance from IP address to Address: 130
If Country of IP address matches Address: Yes
Country Code of the IP address: SE
Whether e-mail is from free e-mail provider: No
Whether IP address is Anonymous Proxy: No
Likelihood of IP Address being an Open Proxy: 0.00
ISP of the IP address: Telenor AB
IP address or billing address in high risk country: No
Fraud Risk Score: 0.06

Mindmax is useless in these situations.

Like Chris said, that order we got two days ago... it was very weird as it was in pending status for 3 days.. and MaxMind didn't catch it on our end either. Thanks for the heads up guys :)

Thanks for the heads up! Definitely something to look into. Good thing we verify all of our orders with maxmind, authorize.net fraud protection, and in some cases we check the whois information to see if they match... well I shall not disclose our latest trick ;)

Bleh!!

It doesn't matter whether you are right or wrong when it comes to PayPal. They just take your money anyways.
I am now left with a domain I have no use for and don't want and also down in funds because PayPal couldn't care less whether you have unpaid for goods laying on your lap.
^%£^£%&£%$&£%!!!!!!

Bleh!!

It doesn't matter whether you are right or wrong when it comes to PayPal. They just take your money anyways.
I am now left with a domain I have no use for and don't want and also down in funds because PayPal couldn't care less whether you have unpaid for goods laying on your lap.
^%£^£%&£%$&£%!!!!!!

Here is a trick for sellers using paypal:
- If user used credit card to pay and files chargeback, you are screwed because paypal will not take a loss.
- If user used direct funds to pay and files a chargeback, respond to the complaint stating it is a virtual item and there is no BUYER protection for non-tangible items. You have good chances to win that one.
- Oh and never leave funds in your paypal account.

Here is a trick for sellers using paypal:
- If user used credit card to pay and files chargeback, you are screwed because paypal will not take a loss.
- If user used direct funds to pay and files a chargeback, respond to the complaint stating it is a virtual item and there is no BUYER protection for non-tangible items. You have good chances to win that one.
- Oh and never leave funds in your paypal account.

Thanks for the tips.

You see, my sister has claim in DeiseHost and her CC was used to verify my PayPal account. If I don't leave funds in there, Paypal will delve into my sister's CC.

But thanks and I will take your tips on board.

Bottom line is, I am not going to let scumbags like that guy defeat my purpose of providing a good honest reliable hosting service. :D

Thanks for the tips.

You see, my sister has claim in DeiseHost and her CC was used to verify my PayPal account. If I don't leave funds in there, Paypal will delve into my sister's CC.

But thanks and I will take your tips on board.

Bottom line is, I am not going to let scumbags like that guy defeat my purpose of providing a good honest reliable hosting service. :D

I would have your sister cancel her credit card and ask for a new one. If the fraudulent buyer does win, paypal will try to recover the funds and your sister might get hit with the fees. Anyways i'm off to bed... too much work today oldman2

I would have your sister cancel her credit card and ask for a new one. If the fraudulent buyer does win, paypal will try to recover the funds and your sister might get hit with the fees. Anyways i'm off to bed... too much work today oldman2

PayPal has already taken the funds from my Account. That's why I like to have funds in there.

Tumble, what is it about that sentence you like? :D

The easyest and best way to get passed this is to just ask for photo ID.
Yes anyone could steal the photo ID but the request alone scares off 90% of script kiddies.

Asking for a photo ID + utility bill would actually scare 99.9% of them and see if they are "l337" enough to steal the utility bill from their parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back