• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Fraud Scammer - Be Aware!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen guys, we all realize that these things are not a violation of privacy when it comes to security and fraud. Do not be afraid of requesting personal information.
When dealing with large orders that may be subject to fraud, simply request photo ID (like I do at Vetrox) or a copy of a Utility Bill to the billing address. That will usually scare the fraud perpetrator off, but if they comply - it probably isn't fraud. The last line of defense for US based fraud cases is the Social Security Number or the Employer Identification Number. This is a highly sensitive, and personal identification number. Many websites now offer a service to verify and validate social security numbers. If there ever is a time where there is a high probability of fraud, or you suspect fraud: Do not be afraid to ask for such information. If it saves you hundreds of dollars, and the potential fraud victim's money - it is worth it.

That's my two cents on the subject.

Regards,
Joe

another idea with chargebacks
If you use debt colection mabye adding a small line to terms of service on your policy on charge backs witch will add a 500-1000 USD Bill on top of what they chargeback
With the right fraud protection this will stop the other 1% :)

Listen guys, we all realize that these things are not a violation of privacy when it comes to security and fraud. Do not be afraid of requesting personal information.
When dealing with large orders that may be subject to fraud, simply request photo ID (like I do at Vetrox) or a copy of a Utility Bill to the billing address. That will usually scare the fraud perpetrator off, but if they comply - it probably isn't fraud. The last line of defense for US based fraud cases is the Social Security Number or the Employer Identification Number. This is a highly sensitive, and personal identification number. Many websites now offer a service to verify and validate social security numbers. If there ever is a time where there is a high probability of fraud, or you suspect fraud: Do not be afraid to ask for such information. If it saves you hundreds of dollars, and the potential fraud victim's money - it is worth it.

That's my two cents on the subject.

Regards,
Joe

You will never see me submitting my SSN to anyone online. There are too many companies out there to have to submit such personal information. I'll give you my license, and I'll give a utility bill, but requesting a SSN is absurd.

I don't request it over the internet of course! That would be absurd. No no, let me clarify. One, we won't ask for the SSN if other valid information is provided. Two, it is never requested over the internet. Only in person, or via certified mail application or encrypted fax. We highly safeguard this information, and don't request it often. After verification, your SSN is shredded 3 times over :)

Regards,
Joe

Craig is also absolutely right. We got $1800 worth of fraud orders in the same day by the same person. After calling the number and doing some research on the IP it came out to be coming from a public university. They took the necessary steps.

What an idiot! Literally, he makes Swedish people look bad. Damn retard :S
Gonna post this on the Swedish sites I'm registered at look tell them about this fraud..

Last edited:
I don't request it over the internet of course! That would be absurd. No no, let me clarify. One, we won't ask for the SSN if other valid information is provided. Two, it is never requested over the internet. Only in person, or via certified mail application or encrypted fax. We highly safeguard this information, and don't request it often. After verification, your SSN is shredded 3 times over :)

Regards,
Joe

In that case, I'd give it to you. I'd much rather give my SSN to person by phone that over the Internet, whether it's encrypted or not.

Asking for a photo ID + utility bill would actually scare 99.9% of them and see if they are "l337" enough to steal the utility bill from their parents.

I use CC to pay for all my hosting. But the Photo ID would be a problem for me because I don't have a fax at home.

Paypal buyer protection for intangible goods was touched on a little bit here... just thought i'd add something to that.

It sucks. I payed for a VPS a long time ago, before BP media even started, and the reseller went out of business and totally screwed me over. Luckily I didn't really trust him and didn't pay that much.

But back to the topic, yes fraud protection is essential for businesses in this field, as shown by the fact that he signed up with like 5 different hosts.

Thanks for the heads up.

I received an email back from PayPal last week and basically, in simple terms, web hosting providers are not covered by PayPal's Seller Protection Programe simply because we sell Virtually.
It sucks big time and something needs to be done in order for hosting providers to receive better protection.

I agree Dan, paypal needs to at least try and offer some type of protection for the hosting providers.

I received an email back from PayPal last week and basically, in simple terms, web hosting providers are not covered by PayPal's Seller Protection Programe simply because we sell Virtually.
It sucks big time and something needs to be done in order for hosting providers to receive better protection.

I actually called them a while back and talked to a manager about this. I asked the the pros and cons of being an online service based business using paypal. They told me pretty much, "paypal is not for you". I highly recommend businesses using paypal to think again. Paypal does not offer any protection, so you can get hit with a chargeback and lose it by default. If you get your own credit card gateway (which is what I did), the merchant provider will look at your terms of service in case of a chargeback and if you state "no refunds" they will deny it to the issuing bank.

I actually called them a while back and talked to a manager about this. I asked the the pros and cons of being an online service based business using paypal. They told me pretty much, "paypal is not for you". I highly recommend businesses using paypal to think again. Paypal does not offer any protection, so you can get hit with a chargeback and lose it by default. If you get your own credit card gateway (which is what I did), the merchant provider will look at your terms of service in case of a chargeback and if you state "no refunds" they will deny it to the issuing bank.

Yeah it's a crying shame to say the least, especially when a large majority of clients (genuine ones) prefer to use PayPal as a payment method. Thus, it being the main bread loader for many providers, including myself.
What PayPal is failing to see is that Virtual Goods are real goods and providers should receive equal protection, especially if they are Verified.
Like, if you are not Verified, PayPal suggests that you get verified in order to receive better protection.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think Paypal offers a paypal debit/bank account. You can use a credit card merchant and have the funds from that account withdraw into paypal.

Maybe I am wrong, just sounds like a solution for Deise.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think Paypal offers a paypal debit/bank account. You can use a credit card merchant and have the funds from that account withdraw into paypal.

Maybe I am wrong, just sounds like a solution for Deise.

No because, when someone files for a chargeback, whether it was fraud or not, and you haven't got the funds in PayPal, they will either give you a negative balance or will take the funds from your CC.
Either way, it sucks.
The point now is, that there is absolutely no protection for web hosters against chargebacks via PayPal simply because we sell virtual goods and services. Despite their boasting of their fantastic Seller Protection Programe when you verify with them.
This sucks even bigger!

Dan, I had a very large chargeback about 4 months ago, and paypal just decided 2 weeks ago to choose my side, because I was right all along. They are very bad at helping the right people though.

** Adds information to stopfraudnow**

This does suck, I am going to contact you guys here that say he ordered via email or pm for your email, so we can gather the documents needed to add this to SFN, Richard and I will make sure its listed to help protect others.

I would also like to agree with utcrazy, I had this happen to me as well, back when I was in the hosting business, as an owner.. very scary how somethings happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back