• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Freaky Webpage Problem

conkermaniac

VIP
NLC
I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but I live in China.

I can access most HTTPS websites just fine. But there is this one website that never seemed to work on IE. I would get a 404 error every time I tried to access it. One day, I decided to access the same site through Firefox. It worked perfectly. Then, I tried to access the page again through IE. Again, "Page cannot be displayed".

Now here's the freaky bit. When I went back to Firefox to access the site, the status vacillated between "Connecting to page" and "Connected to page" before the alert "The document contains no data." After about 5-10 minutes, the site was working well on Firefox again. Then, I tried to access the site on IE again (didn't work), and when I switched back to Firefox the same strange thing happened! After 5-10 minutes, the site would work on Firefox again.

Firstly, I don't understand why there is this disaparity between IE and Firefox. I don't think it's possible to block IE connections but not Firefox ones. Secondly, I don't understand why accessing a site through IE would affect accessing the same site through Firefox.

I have checked for spyware on my computer, and I have a virus scanner running. Nothing suspicious. If you could help me out or point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Try pinging the site. Can you get an IP of the site? Can you access the stie thru the IP in IE/FF ?

Robert, thanks for your response. I have tried pinging the server, but the HTTP server has always worked fine. It's the HTTPS server that's been giving me problems. How do I ping an HTTPS site?

If you have the server access of that domain, I would suggest you to check the logs. Also if you have .htaccess go through it and check if everything is fine there.

Back