• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free No Ads ASP host ..

aspfunda

Hello all i am looking for an ASP host with rich features ( Ya i know i should be searching for paid hosting but well some pockets dont run very deep.... ). Here's what i need ...

1) ASP scripting (VBscript)
2) NO ADS
3) 10 - 20 or MAX 50 Megs needed ( Totally Legal )
4) ODBC ( Not necessary if the allow .mdb files )
5) FTP (please - too many pages to load by a file manager )
6) 500k file limit (.swf (Flash) files only - nothing illegal )

I've already tried :
1) Brinkster
2) RBFTP
3) friserplads.dk
4) xbazar.it
5) flatface ( never got a confirmation or rejection mail back ..
and yes i did read their TOS properly )

Once again i know that i should be loooking for paid hosting but it never hurts to try ....

Last edited:
We support ASP but it's not Microsoft based. You probably
aren't going to find too many ASP hosts meeting all of that
anymore since nobody really programs in ASP anymore. You'll
definitely need a Microsoft Windows based server for your
requirements which we don't offer on FREE accounts.

Two years ago, ASP ruled above all except perhaps Perl.

Today, times have changed, the undisputed leader of the
entire world is PHP. The number of programmers supporting
PHP vs. the number of programmers supporting ASP and other
languages aren't even close anymore.

Aside from our primary hosting company, we own 28 other
hosting companies, some that are commercial Windows 2000
hosting networks, and the statistics are identical for all
of them. I also have friends at competing companies and
they also report the same ....

Each day, there are thousands upon thousands of PHP
scripts uploaded to user accounts that we host.

We're lucky if we see one ASP script uploaded in a month
and that goes for the Windows accounts as well at our
sister companies !

A review of the internet quickly shows that ASP is all
but dead and fading very quickly. There are still a few
sites here and there that use ASP and a few die hard
ASP programmers but they are becoming extinct very
rapidly and are currently the minority.

The #1 leader among scripting languages today is PHP and
following behind it is Perl for the #2 slot.

Java (not to be confused with Javascript) still holds a little
more ground than ASP but it too is fading fast as PHP continues
to gain more programming support at an exponential rate.

It's truly amazing how much ground PHP has gained in such
a very short time to move from the least accepted to the #1
leader among web scripting languages. Meanwhile, ASP
that was previously one of the top and most widely used
scripting languages has moved to be one of the least used
web scripting languages.

Ironic isn't it?

Anyway, good luck on that ASP host search .... Again, we
do have ASP at AMZ Web Hosting but doesn't sound like
what we got will meet your requirements.

Last edited:
<soapbox>
Originally posted by amz
A review of the internet quickly shows that ASP is all
but dead and fading very quickly. There are still a few
sites here and there that use ASP and a few die hard
ASP programmers but they are becoming extinct very
rapidly and are currently the minority.
A quick review of the internet also shows that nearly every John/Jane Doe out there is getting his/her own domain name with the cheapest possible hosting available and that would be UNIX based hosting which would make PHP seem more popular then it actually is.
You can't compare a few thousand personal sites that all use pre-written scripts and claim PHP is the most popular scripting language by far.
You need to look at the number of people actively developping for a current language, not the number of people using it.
I personally use PHP for the one and only reason that I can get cheaper hosting because PHP is nearly always accompanied by MySQL and ASP low cost hosting comes with just Access and SQL Server is a significantly higher cost. That doesn't mean I think PHP is better then ASP, completely the opposite actually.
The first things that come to mind would be the fact that I can just use "Option Explicit" in ASP and I'll get an error when trying to use a variable that isn't defined yet, no such thing available in PHP. I can debug ASP scripts, again no such thing with PHP.
PHP scripts can just break when moving them from a host that has 4.something.blah to another one that has 4.somethingelse.anotherblah. There's no decent documentation available for it and if I find ASP resource sites to be of a significant higher quality then most PHP resource sites that seem to be written by people with little to no real programming skills.
ASP has the concept of Application variables which PHP lacks which makes something as simple as keeping the number of current visitors on a site a real bloat of code in PHP.
PHP has a lot of admirable things as well that ASP lacks like file uploading, less hassle and more control over session cookies but in my personal opinion it doesn't make up for it's many lacks and faults.
</soapbox>

http://www.developer.graphyx.net

25mb webspace.
A unique FTP account for your site.
1 POP email account with 1 autoresponder, 1 email forwarder and unlimited aliasing.
500mb data transfer per month, maximum.
ODBC database support - use only these ODBC compliant databases. MS Access and FoxPro.
The use of ASP, Perl (ActivePerl), CGI, SHTML and iHTML Professional (iHTML).
3 re-usable DSN connections.
CDONTS, W3 JMail (Dimac), ASPUpload (Persits) components.

They have disable free hosting.You can signup and get confirmation email in which it is writen that:

Thank you for your interest in signing up for a FREE .NET hosting account with
DotNetPlayground.com.

Unfortunately, at this time our servers are full and we cannot take any more new
signups. We can only add accounts after an account is cancelled. Please try
signing up again at a later time.

Thank you again for your interest in DotNetPlayground.

Registration Services
registration@dotnetplayground.com
http://dotnetplayground.com

Hey thanks amz and carebear and faraz for your help and views.

Replying to amz's post i would like to say that even though today PHP rules above ASP there is still the distinct possibility of an overthrow happening in the near future with ASP changing to ASP.NET and as carebear said there are distinct advantages of ASP over PHP. Anyway i dont think either of us are really in a position to rule on the matter (nor is this the place ). The fact remains as amz rightly said that today most hosts opt for PHP over ASP making it for developers like myself to actually host or test our scripts ( testing isnt that big a problem ) and also host our websites withut digging dep into our pockets (some being very shallow). ANyway thanks everyone im still looking for the same :::: (ad free asp host ......)

1) ASP scripting (VBscript)
2) NO ADS
3) 10 - 20 or MAX 50 Megs needed ( Totally Legal )
4) ODBC ( Not necessary if the allow .mdb files )
6) 500k file limit (.swf (Flash) files only - nothing illegal )

I've already tried :
1) Brinkster
2) RBFTP
3) friserplads.dk
4) xbazar.it
5) flatface ( never got a confirmation or rejection mail back ..
and yes i did read their TOS properly )

Once again i know that i should be loooking for paid hosting but it never hurts to try ....

If anybody can help ill really appreciate it.

Originally posted by amz

The #1 leader among scripting languages today is PHP and
following behind it is Perl for the #2 slot.

Java (not to be confused with Javascript) still holds a little
more ground than ASP but it too is fading fast as PHP continues
to gain more programming support at an exponential rate.

While I agree that PHP is an excellent language, I must dispute your claim that Perl is #2. Perl is a powerful and versatile language that is awkward and resource consuming. The fact that it really wasn't designed for the web shows in its performance - sites using Perl are generally slow and CGI boards, like Ikonboard and YaBB, are horrible in terms of resource consumption. Overall, Perl is a dying trend, while ASP is only growing in popularity. I rarely see regular webpages use the extension .pl or .cgi - it's always the actual page that processes a form, or whatever, that actually uses Perl. Not being too familiar with the language, I do not know whether templating is easy using Perl, but this certainly alludes the fact that it's not.

And there is no way JSP is anywhere near ASP. :p

Originally posted by aspfunda
I know online file managers are akward to use but it's only once you'll have to upload everything right?
Maybe you should just bite through it and space out all the uploads over a few days until they're all done.

<<once in a thread is enough to post that URL thanks>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by CareBear
I know online file managers are akward to use but it's only once you'll have to upload everything right?
Maybe you should just bite through it and space out all the uploads over a few days until they're all done.

Yeah, that's what I did with Gizba, and now I have 1,186 files hosted there. I had 1,089 files when I originally signed up, and I had to space the uploads over three or four days, but it sure as hell was worth it!

Well after that long search i have about given up. Even an a good ASP host with a filemanager and no ads is next to impossible to find. What carebear and amz said people are moving towards cheaper PHP hosting..... maybe i should consider a change in course .... :(

Originally posted by aspfunda
Well after that long search i have about given up. Even an a good ASP host with a filemanager and no ads is next to impossible to find. What carebear and amz said people are moving towards cheaper PHP hosting..... maybe i should consider a change in course .... :(
what about Brinkster? It fits what you requested, just without the FTP.
Maybe you could mail Brinkster and ask if it's possible to get a free account and pay for 1 month of General SE so you can upload everything you need with FTP and then revert back to a free account?

Ya thanks for the idea Carebear ill try it but it seems doubtful. Anyway i am now seriously thinking of turning to PHP cause it seems that all audiences ( and my clients ) want to work with the " in scripting language " ;) Ha...

Back