• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Geesh, I wish people would stop freaking about Napster

Rodie

I keep seeing news reports with all these people crying about Napster. I wish they would learn a little bit more about mp3s and realize how easily available they are. It was easy for me to get ahold of mp3's long before Napster (a little thing called irc), and it's even easier now since there are so many napster-like clones out there.

It's amazing how so many people think Napster invented mp3's. It's good for the RIAA that people are so stupid, or else they would gain absolutely nothing from this lawsuit.

Originally posted by Rodie
It's amazing how so many people think Napster invented mp3's. It's good for the RIAA that people are so stupid, or else they would gain absolutely nothing from this lawsuit.

It's not that Napster invented the mp3, but it opened a new path for Mp3s. If it wasn't for Napster, Mp3s would probably not be as popular as they are today. Napster revised the way we listen to music. And to some, that's the only way they can get Mp3s. It's like AOL, most people sign up with AOL thinking that's the only way to get online, than they realize that it sucks.

That's a good point. But I'm just amazed at all the people who think mp3s and napster are synonomus. I have some friends who think Napster is the only program that can play mp3s.

Oh well, no mp3s for them lol

I know, most the people I know think that napster is the only thing a computer is used for. They spend all day getting songs, I cant belive it. I havent used napster in about 2 months.
Also I have bought at least 90 times more cds than I ever would of. Like local h. I had never heard them and my bro (the same one that intrduced me to nirvana long ago) told me about them, so I downloaded a song and bought all three albums.
And I can remeber getting boot leg mp3's of nirvana long long ago. And all you had to do then is find the right geocities site :) And do any of you remeber abes mp3 finder?
It had the same feature napster does. I dunno who had it first. It was a pretty junky program but it did its job alright.

Finding songs on IRC? As in entering a channel and then asking everyone in the channel if they have that song? And then leaving and joining other channels until you find someone who has the song and is willing to DCC the file to you? That's even worse than using websites to download music.

Originally posted by Coolin
Finding songs on IRC? As in entering a channel and then asking everyone in the channel if they have that song? And then leaving and joining other channels until you find someone who has the song and is willing to DCC the file to you? That's even worse than using websites to download music.

No, going on IRC to get mp3s is *nothing* like that. Just go to any one of the numerous mp3 channels on dalnet, and type in "@locator filename", and where filename is, is the name of the song you want. If somebody has that, their fserve script will respond and tell you what to copy/paste back in the channel for them to DCC the file to you. It's really nothing more than a very primitive version of napster.

Yeah, you go into a specific channel (like #mp3 or wutever), list the fservers, type the trigger, queue the file(s) you want, and you wait.

I think there are advantadges using IRC to download files instead of leeching 'em from websites. Like, you don't have to go through all the banners and pop-ups, you don't have to turn off JavaScript to find out which links are real and which aren't, and most of the time, the server where the MP3's located is slow as hell.

Then again, you don't have to q up on websites....

The worst thing about the Napster case this week is that everyone was convinced that they would be shut down and so they all spent the weekend in a downloading frenzy.

Anyone else notice their stats take a dip on Saturday?

jpoc

people get their panties in a bunch over Napster because it was the most user-friendly way to get MP3's. Like what Robert said about AOL... if AOL shut down tommorow morning millions of people would think the internet shut down.

I like audiogalaxy better than napseter anyway, but now that's slower than hell with all the Napster people switching over...

Well napster was not abt MP3's or music. I believe napster was the first to popularize the idea od peer-to-peer computing. People exchanging things from some computer they didn't know existed on the internet. That is what napster is to me, connecting people over the internet.

Back