• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

General VPS Discussion

.Joe.

Yours Truly
NLC
Alright, because right now I'm trying to learn more stuff before I EVER do that server so here's my questions and such.

1) What's a VPS? Is it like the samething as a server?
2) How much does it cost per-month?

Quoted from WHT!

It appears many people find it hard to understand what VPS is and how it works, so I just thought I'd make a small effort to explain a littlebit.

What does VPS mean?
Virtual Private Server

What is such a Virtual Server?
Basically VPS is all about running multiple Virtual Servers within one physical server.

What does Private refer to?
Each VPS gets its own portion of resources, which are usually guaranteed to be available to that particular VPS. For instance, the host server may have 8GB of ram, and 256mb (for instance) could be guaranteed to be available to a VPS. That would mean that regardless of what other VPS's on the same server use, that amount of RAM will be available to the VPS.

Also very important: each VPS runs completely independent of eachother. Each VPS has its own filesystem so a VPS can't see any of the data of another VPS. Also each VPS has it's own server load, can run its own Operating System, can be rebooted individually, and so on. Basically by the end user it can be treated as a dedicated server.

So does a VPS also have its own kernel?
Usually not, but it depends on the technology that the host uses.

Are VPS's truly 100% isolated from eachother, so no matter what happens they can not cause trouble to eachother?
Under normal circumstances, yes. However in extreme scenarios, VPS's can trouble eachother. For instance if the host server has a 100mbit uplink, and one VPS gets a 100mbit DDoS attack, then it makes sense that all other VPS's on the same server are also affected by it. It's up to the host to ensure maximum reliability by monitoring everything closely.

I mentioned VPS's on the same host server can each run a different Operating System. So could one VPS on the server run Windows, and another one Linux?
No, that's not possible. It is however possible to run different Linux distributions on a Linux VPS server. For instance one VPS could be running Red Hat Enterprise, and another one could be running Debian.

Is it possible to run anything on a VPS that would run on a dedicated server?
As long as it doesn't require kernel modifications, yes. (note: some technologies do support kernel modifications - that's not something I specialize in though)

For everyone who still has trouble understanding what VPS is, I thought of a nice example:

You could compare VPS technology to a block of apartments. The block has one roof, but under that roof there are multiple apartments. Each apartment has its own kitchen, living room, etc, so it can operate individually. Everyone goes in and out through the same door of the building though (VPS: traffic all goes through one network port). And I'm sure you can think of every other similarity.

So what a VPS is really is a main server, or whatever a PHYSICAL server that has branched down other VIRTUAL servers which means throught the internet, computer, etc. So we don't have to put the actual PHYSICAL server in an office, a room, etc.?

And still, I have another question. :)

2) How much it cost usually..?

Chief said:
So what a VPS is really is a main server, or whatever a PHYSICAL server that has branched down other VIRTUAL servers which means throught the internet, computer, etc. So we don't have to put the actual PHYSICAL server in an office, a room, etc.?

Seriously, I don't understand a wordd of that! Anyway, prices for a VPS range from anywhere in the low $xx to the low $xxx, it all depends on the size of your vps, the hardware it uses and the company you buy it from.

As an example of price, just the other day I bought a test VPS from knownhost.com with 128MB Ram, 7GB Disk Space, 100GB Bandwidth for $20. It does not come with a control panel, so it is not recommended for "new" users.

What I mean is if I were to purchase a physical server from a host and they would ship it to me, etc. And I would have to put it in my room, office, etc. right...but if I purchased a VPS it would be the same thing but just virtual?

Oh, thanks for the price answer :) but 20$ for a month right?

Chief said:
What I mean is if I were to purchase a physical server from a host and they would ship it to me, etc. And I would have to put it in my room, office, etc. right...but if I purchased a VPS it would be the same thing but just virtual?

Oh, thanks for the price answer :) but 20$ for a month right?

A good VPS starts around 45 USD per month. There are too many VPS providers who now sell VPS like they sell reseller accounts.

What would you do with a server at home? You don't buy physcial servers from hosts.

James said:
A good VPS starts around 45 USD per month. There are too many VPS providers who now sell VPS like they sell reseller accounts.

What would you do with a server at home? You don't buy physcial servers from hosts.

What I mean is...are VPS exactly like servers just they aren't physical?

If you're paying $xxx for a VPS, I'd recommend spending an extra $20/month or so and just getting a DS. Runs better.

You get root with VPS, your own OS, your own root system, just to yourself. But you are still sharing one dedicated server's resources with many other people. (as many as 30 or more, they actually sell 100 VPS' per server licenses at Virtuozzo) Yes, they all say equal sharing CPU, memory + burstable, but your VPS is not totally mutually exclusive to others on the server.

I say VPS is like a reseller account with your own root. The "your own server resources" you get hyped about is usually guaranteed 200Mhz CPU or even less. 128MB RAM? 256MB? Your OS and control panel will eat up most of it, what's left for you?

Breadcrumbs.

VPS lags.. what do you do? Blame the provider. "My VPS lags, slow and dirty! Do something now!"

What does the provider do? "Sir you need to upgrade to our next plan it's only double the price.. Regards"

All when in fact you are better off with a reseller account half the price. Too late, you already wasted your money.

I always thought VPS were about 20-30$ for it to be reliable, etc. But aren't servers like 50-100+$ a month?

That's why I was thinking/planning on purchasing a VPS.

But aren't dedicated servers shipped to houses & office, buildings, etc.? I don't really wan't to keep a server in an office, etc.

Damn, hell of alot more than a VPS. Anyways thanks guys for clearing it up :) I might now think of getting more cash and purchasing a dedi-server! :D

So you guys all think a dedi-server is more suitable than a VPS?

Back