• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Help, IE6

F1RULZ

I upgraded to IE6 about two months ago and since then it seems to crash or lock up quite regularly, I had a quick scan through this forum but didnt notice if this had been posted before, If it has just give me a link and Ill read the replies there. I never had a problem with IE5.5 it never crashed not even once because of a virus or anything, it was great, but now this IE6 crases about once a week and somtimes locks up for 20 minutes everyting else loads and closes but IE6 just locks up.

Anyone help.

more info about your computer would be nice.. basicly its like your asking us to help and saying im having a problem with my computer, fix it now..

I have found that this forum (I don't know whether vB or FWS.net) causes my IE6 to crash often as well. I don't know the problem, but if you keep a journal of the page you were visiting, and what other programs you have open at the time, you may be able to pin point the problem.

The forum sometimes does that to IE5 too when clicking links. Donno what it is but it tends to last a few hours. :confused:

Have you tried to use the repair thing and if that didn't help reinstall?
Btw, limit the size of your cache if you haven't already, empty Temporary Internet Files and delete index.dat (from DOS). A corrupt index.dat can cause a lot of shit.

OK

K, here is my computer specs for is0lized.

1ghz AMD Athlon
640MB RAM
NVIDA 5300 TNT2 graphics card
k-Bit K1 mother board(with latest bios installed)

cant think of anyting else that could effect the programs, if you want to know anyting else please say. And I have tried the repair stuff, and I empty me temp internet regularly and the cache is limited. And I dont really want to go arround deleting files.

My solution to your problem: Go to http://opera.com and download Opera 6.01 for Windows. It's faster and more stable than IE and Netscape and it has a tabbed browsing feature, so you can surf multiple pages with one window. :classic2:

And I dont really want to go arround deleting files.
Why? That's what you do when you emmty the cache anyway- :p

I'm not saying it is the index.dat but it's know to cause problems when it's corrupted. It's recreaded as soon as you run IE again. It's just some kind of list of your cashed files or something. I know I have less problems when I delete it now and then. :)

Originally posted by meow
The forum sometimes does that to IE5 too when clicking links. Donno what it is but it tends to last a few hours. :confused:

Have you tried to use the repair thing and if that didn't help reinstall?
Btw, limit the size of your cache if you haven't already, empty Temporary Internet Files and delete index.dat (from DOS). A corrupt index.dat can cause a lot of shit.
the same problem happens to me too.

Back