• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

help with ssi - include virtual

lucid

Hi. I'm having trouble with the include virtual with server side includes. my host has ssi enabled, and everything works fine when I use the include file command, but I always get the "an error has occured while processing this directive" message when I use the virtual path. I'm hosted by www.ihostee.com and my url there is http://www.ihostee.com/~kholmes . The header and footer includes are on txt format and are located in a folder named "ssistuff" in my main directory. Anyone know how to work out the virtual path? Cos I'm lost :confused2

i think if you use virtual you have to have the path from the domain name... so it would be..
Code:
<!--#include virtual="/~kholmes/ssistuff/whatever.ext" -->

if you use file it would be relative to where you are calling it from... so it would be
Code:
<!--#include file="ssistuff/whatever.ext" -->
or if its in the same directory it would be
Code:
<!--#include file="whatever.ext" -->

but i'm not completely sure.....
by looking at your page it looks like you already figured it out...

Include virtual is resolved from the root. A slash usually denotes the root. Try like so:
<!--#include virtual="/ssistuff/whatever.ext" -->

You change the text color to white when I hover with my cursor over it. This look crappy. Maybe someone might think your site is incomplete.

thanks for the help everyone, I think I've got it sorted out now. :)

And yeah, the stylesheet needs changing. I'm just so damn lazy :rolleyes:

Originally posted by crj
i think if you use virtual you have to have the path from the domain name... so it would be..
Code:
<!--#include virtual="/~kholmes/ssistuff/whatever.ext" -->
Sorry, I didn't see your post. Is that it? I've always had "/" mean my account's root. For the first time I have an account where it doesn't. Have I just been lucky earlier I wonder? I'm not speaking about SSI now, but relative paths starting with "/" in general. :confused:

Back