• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How do I...

trekchick

Hi,

is there an easy way to set up a tiny free hosting site?

If I get myself a 100mb account and a domain, how can I give away 5mb of space to my friends? I want them to have domain.org/username and a controlpanel they can control their account with. No frills - just webspace for a few pics and some text.

I know that some hosting companies allow multiple passwords and user names for a site - how does this work? I suppose that this means that anybody with a password has access to all parts of a site. Is there a way to restrict that?

Can anybody help?

BTW - I'm not trying to steal your bread - I'm just trying to put to use the excess webspace I'll be stuck with. Thanks.

Trekchick.
:chicken:

What hosting? :confused: Is there anything special that I need to know? (eg What must I have for the script to work?)

And where do I get the homefree script from? Could you give me an url?

Thanks.

Trekchick

Do you know of another script? I want to do the sign up process via email so that I don't get stuck with "stuff". Or can I do this with homefree too?

I'm completely new to this. :D

Trekchick

Ok... step by step what you need to do.

1. Buy a domain

2. Buy some hosting (ask in the paid hosting forum for a good one)

3. Pick a script (from the url I gave you) and install it on your new website.

4. Hide the name of that script by renaming it or the directory it's in.

5. Have people email you for the address to sign up.

That's it.

Thanks for your replies. :smiley2: This has been very helpful. Since I want my member sites to be addfree, I don't think I can co-brand.

Now I'll go and find myself a cheap host. :classic2:

Trekchick

Originally posted by trekchick
Thanks for your replies. :smiley2: This has been very helpful. Since I want my member sites to be addfree, I don't think I can co-brand.

Now I'll go and find myself a cheap host. :classic2:

Trekchick
what about ya members?

I wanna do something like www.kardasi.com - but with the option of giving my friends full control over their site, just like they know it from geocities.

This saves me the worry about having to maintain it for them. :D

The deal is that I pay for the space and bandwidth and with the content of my friend's sites generate more traffic for me. Look at kardasi - ingela got 19 "subdomains" and only four of them are hers. And she gets lots of traffic...

Trekchick

Last edited:
Back