• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How secure is the wireless connection ?

ced

I am currently connected to the internet via wireless. I don't know where it is from, but my laptop was able to connect to the internet wirelessly. What are the risks of using this wireless connection ?
Thank you.

Depends on what you're using it for. If you're just browsing the net, I would say no harm. But whoever the wireless network belongs to should think about keeping it private. A lot worse things other than browsing the internet have gotten wireless network owners in a lot of trouble because they left it open to the public.

however, if they intentionally did it... they could use a packet sniffer and look at all the stuff you're doing on the internets :p

Important tip about unprotected wifi:
- restrict it to google news and other non-personnal stuff ;)

I wouldn't login to my server for example. You have no idea who's logging your activity.

Is it possible to encrypt a connection without using a password for it? (as in protection)

My laptop gets a "wrong password" message all the time, so I disabled it. However i'm using a MAC filter to prevent outside connections. Will that prevent me from being attacked? I don't think there's some hacker on my neightborhood, but it's better to be safe

you'll always get "attacked" some how. No way to be 100% secure, as I am learning in my security course... so, best thing you can do is pass protect anything important to you, even that might not be secure though... unless you convert a password to md5, than use that as the password. So, just be careful is all you can get out of this :)

Find out which neigbours it is and tell them :)
MAC filtering is quite secure but can be spoofed, check which security protocals your own router uses and go for the highest that both router and computer can use.

Back