• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How to become a host for other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hostaddonltd

I don't know much at all about webhosting apart from the fack I pay my hosts a certain amount and my sites are online.

How would you go about starting your own hosting company, what would you need to buy?

You should buy a reseller account with a good host that exists for at least a year or a VPS, thats even better.

With a vps you also need the knowledge of how the systems on it work (apache, php, mysql, cpanel,...ect..ect..ect)

On top of that you need an ability in marketing and setting yourself apart from everyone else.

Then there comes the technical support side of it. You need to know how to assist customers when they say "My *insert poorly programmed script name here" is not working can you fix it?*

Or *How do I get my email setup properly*

Lots of research and time is involved in gaining the knowledge to run a web hosting business

You can start your own webhosting business with any suitable reseller package. There are many webhosting providers that provides excellent 24x7 support.
They should be able to assist you and solve your technical queries as and when you call them.
At the initial stage of your business even if you are not technically sound you can run your business
with their assistance. You just need to choose your right host.

I don't know much at all about webhosting apart from the fack I pay my hosts a certain amount and my sites are online.

How would you go about starting your own hosting company, what would you need to buy?

The best to start your own web hosting company is to become a hosting reseller. There are many web hosting providers who can offer you cheap linux/windows reseller hosting plans. Reseller hosting plans allows you to create your own hosting plans by allocating any amount of server resources and sell them at your own price. Also, customer support to the end user is provided by the web hosting service provider from whom you have purchased the reseller hosting account.

If you don't even know what you need to buy for starting a web hosting business, you are not ready to start a hosting business yet.
You should start by gaining more experience on playing with shared hosting account and find out what a host need, then from there, gain your knowledge first.

Go reseller then gradually build your knowledge of the technical side of hosting and servers. There is a lot of ground to be covered when it comes to this, but a lot of the problems which arise can be solved by simple troubleshooting and learning.

I agree with what most are saying here, start of as a reseller then work up. Once interested buy a few servers and rent out some space at a datacenter. You can get the technical gist of how things work and ask your datacenter guys if there is any problems. That is how most companies do it. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back