• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

HTML 5

drunkmule

I'm thinking when is there going to be an update for HTML 4. I wouldn't mind to see a few new tags and features.

There will be no HTML5... XHTML 1.0 is the followup to HTML 4.01... The goal, however, isn't more features but the removal of many current HTML "features" to be replaced by CSS.

Eventually XHTML will incorporate much more of XML... XHTML 1.0 is just the first step in migrating from HTML toward XML, basically HTML 4.01 formatted XML style.

All HTML 4 compliant browsers work just as well with XHTML 1.0.

The official site is http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/ for those interested...

The XHTML family is the next step in the evolution of the Internet. By migrating to XHTML today, content developers can enter the XML world with all of its attendant benefits, while still remaining confident in their content's backward and future compatibility.

[Edited by Woofcat on 01-16-2001 at 05:42 PM]

HTML 4.01 Is A Breakthrough Release

For those of you who haven't read through the specification for HTML 4.01, I suggest that you do so. (See http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/ .) The specification begins with a general presentation of HTML and becomes more and more technical and specific towards the end. I was amazed at how many gaps there were in my knowledge.

The XHTML 1.0 Specification is a reformulation of HTML 4 in XML 1.0, pretending to address future development trends, but HTML 4.01 remains the breakthrough release, the de facto standard for publishing on the World Wide Web. In sum, it is too early to migrate to XML.

I've read all the specs and memorized much of the the DTD info...

I disagree that it's too early to begin migration to XML... XHTML is actually more widely supported in web browsers than HTML 4.01 (eg Netscape chokes when you don't close certain tags even though the specs say the closing tags are optional; XHTML requires them)...

I have no problems at all on closing tags. I've seen a few xhtml tutorials and so far I've seen no reason why I should begin to learn this stuff right now. most of what I do doesn't need it.

Originally posted by Woofcat
I've read all the specs and memorized much of the the DTD info...

I disagree that it's too early to begin migration to XML... XHTML is actually more widely supported in web browsers than HTML 4.01 (eg Netscape chokes when you don't close certain tags even though the specs say the closing tags are optional; XHTML requires them)...
I don't think the HTML 4.01 specification is the end-all be-all of Web design, and I agree that there's room for improvement in the DTDs and that XML is a step in the right direction. But I still think it's too early to begin the migration. In other word, when it comes to technology, "Never be the first, and never be the last."

I do think that the HTML 4.01 specification was a major breakthrough in standardization, one that many Web designers have yet to discover. The vast majority of Web designers fall back on their favorite WYSIWYG tool kit for Infernal Exploder and totally ignore compatibility issues. One of the jokes I've often heard goes as follows: "Compatibility? You mean with *both* browsers? As in compatibility with both Infernal Exploder 4.0 *AND* 5.0?"

Once a Webmaster has digested the HTML 4.01 specification, he or she is much better prepared to address browser compatibility issues. To this end, Webmonkey provides a number of useful tutorials. (See, e.g., "Sizing Up the Browsers," http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/41/index3a.html?tw=design .)

Originally posted by netesq
...Infernal..."...Infernal Exploder 4.0 *AND* 5.0?"

Hehe... this is mah first time hearing somebody refer to IE as Infernal Exploder... *lol* Cool, I'm sticking with that name. :D

The only reason I use IE is because... well, you have more neat features available. I really like how with IE you can use the <STYLE> code, it's awesome! With NS, you either don't see a thing or don't see what it's supposed to do.

[Edited by LeX on 01-24-2001 at 09:44 AM]

Back