• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

HUGTHETREES.COM! Go Hug Some Trees!

hamster

Super Moderator
NLC
HUGTHETREES.COM
Show your love for the environment by hugging the trees now!

On a sidenote, I'm all open to suggestions and ideas as to what to add to the site... it kinda feels empty :p

Have any idea behind the # of clicks? Like, if you reach 100,000 hugs then a tree will be planted for each 100,000? or even 50,000? You'd have to work out with some company to pay for the trees though. Or even a council, just a thought.

I'm going to make it mandatory, I'm going to visit this site every day and click :) Not for the fun of it, for the fact its environmentally friendly :)

I'm going to make it mandatory, I'm going to visit this site every day and click :) Not for the fun of it, for the fact its environmentally friendly :)

Feel free to use autoclickers and macros :p They still show that you have devotion to the environment as you expended effort in order to use them :D

If I might be so bold? You could make it host oriented, datacenters are going to be massive electricity hogs. Get some sponsorships from "environmentally friendly" hosts - or help hosts negate their carbon imprint - make a calculator for working out energy use and from that footprint.

If I might be so bold? You could make it host oriented, datacenters are going to be massive electricity hogs. Get some sponsorships from "environmentally friendly" hosts - or help hosts negate their carbon imprint - make a calculator for working out energy use and from that footprint.

Wouldn't "host" in this case mean "DC" actually? I don't think a host reselling resources bought from a DC can actually environmentalize themselves.

About the calculator, could you please elaborate? It sounds interesting and feasible :p

Also, which hosts do you know are "environmentally friendly" other than DreamHost? I really don't know any... if you know any, do post them here.

hamster, does the environment actually benifet from this? Say the ad money goes to charity or something.

You can also change the background to black, as an option, like what that Google site does, to cut down on electricity costs. You should put ads up too. There has to be something happening more than just clicks xD

Wouldn't "host" in this case mean "DC" actually? I don't think a host reselling resources bought from a DC can actually environmentalize themselves.

About the calculator, could you please elaborate? It sounds interesting and feasible :p

Also, which hosts do you know are "environmentally friendly" other than DreamHost? I really don't know any... if you know any, do post them here.

Well thats the point;) Help hosts become more aware! For the calculator you would need to let hosts input a servers power consumption and how many of this server they have, then have the calculator work out the total energy used, and from that the carbon footprint.

this says the average co2 emissions per kwh is 1.3 pounds, so you can work it out from that:)

Oooh, I'll do some more research in the upcoming days... anyone got more bright ideas that are nice and glowy? :p

SolarVPS has gone green with their new SolarGreen initiative.

Pretty much any host that uses virtualization technology is going green by cutting down on power consumption and removing the less efficient machines. If the server utilizes modern CPU, RAM, Motherboards, and other components then it is also going 'green'. Modern CPUs use less energy, DDR2 RAM is more efficient and demands less power, same goes with motherboards.

Back