• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I don't get this nameserver thing..

cowboybebop

Ok so I sound like a total noob.. Well I still am I guess, I just bought my first VPS I've been on shared hosting for all this time. Well I bought it, I set up everything via the Cpanel, but how am I supposed to get it to work!

I mean, my domain is parked at GoDaddy.com, so how to I make that domain a name server :\

Can someone please tell me what I'm supposed to do, as at the moment i'm very confused :confused4
I thought I'd just have to put the name servers on my godaddy account [for "mysite.net"] as "ns1.Mysite.net" and "ns2.mysite.net" but It won't work :|

Get the sellers shared nameserver IP's, add 2 entries in the main domain DNS zone file using these as A records and use ns1 & ns2 or something, start named (use WHM for nameserver setup and it'll do that bit for you) and create nameserver records at your registrar - DONE! :)

lol.. im with you brother :p

Yes i can get my domain to forward to my server IP, but how the hell do i make the IP and Domain name interchangeable.

There should just be some form somewhere i fill out that says my domain shoud now be regarded as this IP, and there should be a setting in windows somwhere that says this ip can also be called this domain.
So why so dam complicated?

eg. http://202.163.64.199/testing/ to be the same as http://www.serenityx.com/testing/

Changing the name servers to the ones provided by the hosting company does nothing.

As far as the domain controll panel is concerend the "home directory" is service they provide that i didnt even pay for :/

All research on the matter has lead to confusion, so some one once and for all tel us what to do plz :p

EDIT:
Decker, that made absoloutly no sense what so ever, noob it up plz.

"add 2 entries in the main domain DNS zone file " <--- WTF?? DNS Zone files? How does one access these?
"using these as A records and use ns1 & ns2 or something" <--- huh??
"start named (use WHM for nameserver setup and it'll do that bit for you) and create nameserver records at your registrar" <---Whats named and how do you start it?? Whats WHM and how/where do you use it?

No wonder people get so confused... :p

Last edited:
Cowboy have you registered your nameserver with GoDaddy? What needs to happen is you need to register say for example ns1.yoursite.com to point to ip address 5.6.7.8 (example). Then it should work for you. If you cant get it to work shoot me a pm and ill be more than happy to login for you and set it up no problem.

@serenity

is this a vps you are trying to setup as well? Just speaking on a general basis, your dns zone file is located in /var/named/yoursite.db.

Im willing to help out both of you guys get your sites up and running shoot me a pm if you would like for me to help you out.

SerenityX, Not giving enough info to recive help,
What OS? What DNS Server? What Control panel? Ect.

Get the sellers shared nameserver IP's, add 2 entries in the main domain DNS zone file using these as A records and use ns1 & ns2 or something, start named (use WHM for nameserver setup and it'll do that bit for you) and create nameserver records at your registrar - DONE! :)
if you need help to create nameserver records at your registrar

click here

I wouldnt say its unwarrented advertising he simply posted a link that provided the information that the OP was inquiring about..

What's wrong with the registrars own?

Rather go with theirs, and if it goes wrong you know who to blame :)

Nothing is wrong with the registrars own, however the actual link he provided contained screenshots etc of their domaincp..To each its own i guess.

Controll Panel None
Webserver Apache

Where in windows does one enter these records?
Where at the 1&1 controll panel do i enter this information?

Sorry I dont know anything about windows :\ Hopfully someone else can help,
You do need some DNS software so If you can find a DNS server that runs on windows install it! then register the nameservers at your registar

Controll Panel None
Webserver Apache

Where in windows does one enter these records?
Where at the 1&1 controll panel do i enter this information?

Is windows the 'SERVER' OS?

at 1&1 go to your domain name control panel - it's in there.

Yes server OS is 2003

i goto my 1&1 and no its not there, there is 2 options, Forward in frame, and HTML forward.

There is DNS options, but they refuse the IP and tell me its not a top lvl domain..

some require for the actual registrar to create them for you though...shoot their support team a email and see if they will be willing to help you out on this.

Back