• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I need a webserver program!

rapmaster

Ok, well I, along with the 30000 other people on this forum am getting tired of all the freehosts that blow. I'm currently attempting to develope a new website but have been having trouble because its a high bandwidth site, something like 500kb+ per hit, which makes using 1gig bandwidth hosts good for about 1 to 2 weeks before I go over my bandwidth limit and get charged for the usage. So I'm going to setup a small server on my current machine but I need a good webserver that can run in the background and not tie up all my ram. So far the only servers I've found that are worth a crap are:

Xitami - good, but running it in the bg is only good for a mail server
Apache - ok, I dont like its cumbersome CGI and dos prompt

thats all I've got so far, could someone point me to a good one or to some Apache mod's that make it more practical?

Thankz

I'm currently in the process of installing Redhat 7.2 on one of my servers in my house but am having some problems w/ people accessing it on the internet (I'll post another thread about it).

You can try doing that.. Installing Redhat.

Or get FoxServer.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/foxserv

It seems like a good server and has everything you need!

*OR* PhpTriads... do a search at www.download.com for it. I think that's the name. It comes w/ Apache, MySQL and Php.

I'll try the Foxserver for a while, I'm not sure about installing Linix or what not because I'm not attempting to setup a dedicated server, I'm more or less attempting to setup a 1, possibly 2 site server so I dont really think Redhat or any other server systems would really be nessisary

yeah i like foxserv haha. but go to foxserv.net instead as we have more mirrors than just sourceforge.

you could try TinyWeb Server: TinyWeb Server

its good, runs in the background (not even a window or icon!), and has CGI(/Perl)

to make it work, just do this:
make a shortcut to TINY.EXE (in the same folder). and edit it so the target is this:

"P:\ATH\TO\FILE\TINY.EXE" foldername

outside the quotes, foldername is the folder where all the files are kept. you need this for it to work. then just put an index.html in that folder where your files will be.

the path to cgi-bin is /foldername/CGI-BIN (you need to make a CGI-BIN folder)

well FoxServ had too much stuff for the server I'm tryin to setup, I just need CGI. So I installed the Tinyserver and got it to work but I cant get my freakin cgi to work on it now! aggghhh! I set it up as C:\tinyweb\www as the main directory, so www\cgi-bin should be the path to CGI right? Or did I screw somethin up?

Back