• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

i think webhosting is on WRONG WAY

We don't oversell, and infact, you can tell by the size of our packages. We only give out what is needed, in an attempt to not give resources that people don't need.

Does anyone remember when it cost 110.00/year to purchase a .com domain? It should still cost that, because it's abused all the time.

Someone purchases a domain, uses it for a month, then cancels. Then, at that point, it'll be locked for 6+ months before it's back in the domain pool.

But making domains too expensive will mean there would be less websites and it should not be expensive for people that want a personal website or even want to expand a business online, It would be discriminating against people that can't invest that sort of money into a personal or even a business website.

I myself wouldn't pay out $100+ for a domain and i don't think that many people would want to.

I also agree that big companies offer too much and it adds to people's expectations, It's odd because some hosting companies charge stupid prices like $20 pm for 500MB's space, but they advertise more and get people that don't know they can get a better deal elsewhere. Whereas these companies that oversell are doing the opposite. Do you get what i mean?

But making domains too expensive will mean there would be less websites and it should not be expensive for people that want a personal website or even want to expand a business online, It would be discriminating against people that can't invest that sort of money into a personal or even a business website.

I myself wouldn't pay out $100+ for a domain and i don't think that many people would want to.

I also agree that big companies offer too much and it adds to people's expectations, It's odd because some hosting companies charge stupid prices like $20 pm for 500MB's space, but they advertise more and get people that don't know they can get a better deal elsewhere. Whereas these companies that oversell are doing the opposite. Do you get what i mean?

Discrimination? Do you know what that even means? Mercedes must be discriminating against me, because I can't afford their car. Seriously, think before you speak.

You wouldn't pay that kind of money, simply because you obviously don't want it bad enough. I mean, even if they price were doubled, or even tripled, there would be less sales, meaning less wasted domains. I do think the price of domains should double or triple, making it harder for "kids" to purchase a domain.

I would've more than likely paid that kind of money for my domain, and it would've forced me to put more time into my investment.

that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard ! have you even considered just how fast the internet is growing ? it is IMPOSSIBLE, and i mean IMPOSSIBLE to stem the rush.

Think about it, .com domains are the most popular domains, and yet that is only because they are afforable, how many .tv domains do you see ?

all you would do by raising the .com domains price is de-value it, and something cheaper lke .net or .info would rise and take its place. simple as that, your view is a little naive anyway, the point of the internet is universal access and communication, its just as much some little kids internet as it is yours.

maybe they should solve this problem by having an international authority that regulated the internet ( to a degree ) based upon an internationally agreed upon set of rules.

AMC

I agree with moneyballs on this one. Big business would love to just snipe all of us underdogs out if you gave them the chance. The internet, domains, and web hosting must remain affordable to all or most of us would just be able to watch and not participate. Plus the consumers would have no chance at getting a better deal and very little choices because big business would have no competition.

Right now us small time web hosts are the "Mom & Pop" stores of the internet. Spread the money around to the small guy and help put food on his/her table. The big companies already have millions of dollars and don't need anymore and this is why they will not value you as much as a client either. They don't need you and they make tha quite appearent with the support they usually provide.

Last edited:
that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard ! have you even considered just how fast the internet is growing ? it is IMPOSSIBLE, and i mean IMPOSSIBLE to stem the rush.

Think about it, .com domains are the most popular domains, and yet that is only because they are afforable, how many .tv domains do you see ?

all you would do by raising the .com domains price is de-value it, and something cheaper lke .net or .info would rise and take its place. simple as that, your view is a little naive anyway, the point of the internet is universal access and communication, its just as much some little kids internet as it is yours.

maybe they should solve this problem by having an international authority that regulated the internet ( to a degree ) based upon an internationally agreed upon set of rules.

AMC

It wouldn't devalue anything, if all domain extensions were to raise in price. Those "little kids" do have the same exact right to the Internet as I do, however, would they be willing to pay out for a domain? No, they wouldn't, thus keeping another domain open in the domain pool, instead of being wasted by some kid.

They have as much right as I do to the Internet, but they should also have to pay the same price that I do.

why would they waste it, again you generalise...

and of course it would de-value the .com domains as the most used extension, people are always gonna go cheaper and the cheaper will become more and more widely used until it is more popular than .com and you have the same issue all over again.

They have as much right as I do to the Internet, but they should also have to pay the same price that I do.

Your right, nobody has any more right than anybody else but..

Kids that purchase domains do different things. they might want to do hosting, a jokes site, a forum or even just have a page with pictures. Why should they have to pay lots of $$$'s to do something like that.

I'm confused with the same price thing....kids do pay the same price as you $8-10 per year for a .com. If somebody puts more money and effort into a project it doesn't mean the kid has to pay $$$'s too because they are doing something different that doesn't need as much investment.

If you meant something else by paying the same amount as you please disregard this post.

Last edited:
That doesn't make any sense. Thats like saying theyre applying for a loan, theyre younger and itll go to a startup so we should charge them less interest.

why would they waste it, again you generalise...

and of course it would de-value the .com domains as the most used extension, people are always gonna go cheaper and the cheaper will become more and more widely used until it is more popular than .com and you have the same issue all over again.

If what you say is the case, then the .info extension would be the most widely used, but still, people prefer .com, as it's more professional.

- Lucas

i think hes saying that kids use and waste useful domains that he would like to have, but if he tries as he is suggesting to slow this by raising the price out of a kids price range then he will, in effect be shooting himself in the foot, as the kids will start to buy the cheaper option, which will then become more popular, and more people still will buy it, until the .com becomes obscelete and he has the same problem all over again, just with a different extension ( as he is most likely going to stick to buying the most popular/widely used extension)

EDIT: seeing your above post i will see you have totally missed the point, the only reason that .com is considered to be proffesional is because it is the most widely used, if that changes then it ceases to become of any value on the front of the proffesional image of your site ( .com isnt special its just another 3 letter string :p )

P.S. whoever keeps giving me rep, thank you very much :) but you have to say whether you actually approve or dis approve for it to have any effect... :p:) jk

Last edited:
not the point, with a lot of registrars .net is cheaper than .com and would become more popular i.e more proffesional if people raised the price of .com extensions.

This is one way, I too find out! All sick hosts are too lazy to even make their own website, let alone how bad or good it is. They dont even bother to change the pre-defined prices. Just replace "YOUR COMPANY NAME" with theirs and go!
Thats not the way to go about. If they are lazy to make themselves a template, then... their support services too will be too lazy and slow, apart from their servers!

This is what we normally think "Open to your customers" but these overselling hosting companies doesn't think so.... and even the customer doesn't think twice before taking their service. Why can't they understand from where on earth the hosting company will bring so much of bandwidth and the web space. And even if they got it from anywhere, how will they be able to provide the technical support to them without earning from them!!!

Isn't it a big question?

This is one way, I too find out! All sick hosts are too lazy to even make their own website, let alone how bad or good it is. They dont even bother to change the pre-defined prices. Just replace "YOUR COMPANY NAME" with theirs and go!
Thats not the way to go about. If they are lazy to make themselves a template, then... their support services too will be too lazy and slow, apart from their servers!
I agree. It seems to me thatmost companies consist of one person. That person works as support as salles etc. I think that all forums are plenty of them. They provide low prices and crazy oversell.

Overselling never helps you no matter what you try do do and how many resources you have, so dont lie to your customers and give them only what they want from you.

Back