• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

If you don't use CentOS for your VPS, why not?

fsd

Just curious.

What do you use instead?

Last edited:

Just curious.

What do you use instead?

Other distros offer more options in configurations, often include more up to date packages because there isn't the release delay of packages having to go through both RHEL and CentOS developer trees, and because I like the feel and flexibility of Debian over CentOS's dependency hell.

Of the equipment I manage, I have 1 CentOS due to CPanel requirement, and 3 debian machines. I'm also looking at porting Debian to a few embedded applications as well, like reflashing my home router and a turnkey NAS solution that apparently has Debian preinstalled on its ARM-based system.

The distro is a matter of personal preference and what the intended use is.
I know lol. Am curious to what those are.
Other distros offer more options in configurations, often include more up to date packages because there isn't the release delay of packages having to go through both RHEL and CentOS developer trees, and because I like the feel and flexibility of Debian over CentOS's dependency hell.

Of the equipment I manage, I have 1 CentOS due to CPanel requirement, and 3 debian machines. I'm also looking at porting Debian to a few embedded applications as well, like reflashing my home router and a turnkey NAS solution that apparently has Debian preinstalled on its ARM-based system.
Wait can i run Debian on my old android phone?

Wait can i run Debian on my old android phone?

You might be able to. Debian has a lot of options for supported architecture including ARM, PPC, MIPS, and SPARC. If your phone has enough storage and RAM to load and execute a kernel compiled for it, the rest of the OS can be built around that easily enough and distros might already exist for making the conversion.

A lot of phone operating systems are already cousins of *nix.

Because Debian is far superior as far as upgrades are concerned. ;)

With CentOS, it's more or less impossible to upgrade between major versions, i.e. 5 and 6. You have to do an entire re-install.

I did not know that. I must say thats a pretty convincing argument by itself considering its hard to go wrong with any linux server os nowadays.

I did not know that. I must say thats a pretty convincing argument by itself considering its hard to go wrong with any linux server os nowadays.

Yep, it's really a huge hassle. We usually upgrade our server hardware at the same time, since we have to blow out the whole OS anyway.

System usage is perhaps slightly lower on Debian as well. Just depends.

That said, I love CentOS. Especially in hosting, Debian doesn't work with everything. The biggest issue we run into is with cPanel. We find it really hard to recommend Debian to our clients, only to have them switch if they want to use cPanel or such some day. But if you're running a VPS or your own dedicated or something and don't plan on running cPanel, Debian is definitely a contender.

Yep, it's really a huge hassle. We usually upgrade our server hardware at the same time, since we have to blow out the whole OS anyway.

System usage is perhaps slightly lower on Debian as well. Just depends.

That said, I love CentOS. Especially in hosting, Debian doesn't work with everything. The biggest issue we run into is with cPanel. We find it really hard to recommend Debian to our clients, only to have them switch if they want to use cPanel or such some day. But if you're running a VPS or your own dedicated or something and don't plan on running cPanel, Debian is definitely a contender.

Hmm ya thats part of what drew me to CentOS. Even though your average software will work with the other guys every single piece of software I was interested in officially supported CentOS. That and in general CentOS/RedHat is basically THE standard for reliable server OS's. Even Oracle's linux is just modified RedHat. And unless CentOS stops keeping up with RedHat updates each version is supported is like what 10 years? That's about half my life so far lol.

It really depends on what you're doing with the VPS.
If you're to rely on a management frontend such as Plesk or cPanel it affects your choices. It depends on what you're familiar with (do you already know Debian or more comfortable with CentOS). It depends on whether you want to keep up to date with the next release without reprovisioning the whole thing.

In the end it's entirely up to the end user, there is no one size fits all.

All my servers run centos, but at home I run ubuntu.

It is tried and tested (centos), it runs like a horse - it is something you can depend on.

Ubuntu, although tried and tested I wouldnt put it to run mission critical services because my expertise lies within centos :p

Heh... if you enjoy having a lag time between releases, patches and updates, then you continue using CentOS on your production boxes.
retard.gif

Back