• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

iframes

shred444

Does anyone know how to make something appear on all the pages of a site and when you edit one, it edits all? I've seen this done with javascript before, but its writen with all these document.write things that have to be used on every line. Is there another way to do this using iframes or something?

Uhh... Yeah, it's called server side scripting. Like PHP or SSI.

Iframes are just microsoft's way of putting a frame inside a page. Only IE browsers can see it.

Are you trying to get out of the slump of frames? We can help.

Correction-
IFRAME is in the HTML4 standard. Netscape handles them from version 6.0? something, Opera is fine with them (current version). As usual it's those darn' 4.x browsers...

But what you want is probably what bigperm says.

I was also surprised when I discovered that it isn't non standard at all. Seems like almost everyone think it is. :)

IFRAME complatibility and Netscape.

It's all about the grudge Netscape had with Microsoft's DOM model... very complex and I don't really want to go into it here! ;)

I've been looking for something like that too. I looked at IFrame and the browser compatability question...

It's probably a lame way to do it but I have a document that I had to install on several pages and I just made it into a gif that each page reads. All I do is change the gif and they all get changed.

What I did was use PHP, and have one page called index.php, and it has all the outline for the page, including the nav bar on the left, and where the content is, I use this code:
Code:
<?
if (!$page){
$page="home";
}
include("$page.php");
?>

Then, on my links, I link to <a href="/index.php?page=links">Links</a>, and it will load the file "links.php" in the spot laid out in my index.php page. And the line if(!page){$page="home";} is so when you go to index.php, it loads home.php in the space laid out. It works a lot better, and eadier. It is just as easy using SSI.

Originally posted by jiminsd
It's probably a lame way to do it but I have a document that I had to install on several pages and I just made it into a gif that each page reads.
using gifs to display regular text in your documents is considered one of the sins of webdesign

use some sort of include either SSI, PHP or (not so recomended as it's reliant on the client) Javascript

PHP is what I'd recomend as it can do everything that SSI can and loads more :cool:

Back