• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I'm not breaking any rules?

zomex

Hello everyone,

I was unaware of this until today but when I took a look at my reputation feedback I notice that I've been given negative feedback multiple times for posting my web hosting offer in the paid offers forum?

The rules state that you're allowed to post once per week and there is not a mention of using the same advert each time as there is with the "other offers forum" of which I abide by.

If I'm breaking the rules in any way please let me know. If I'm not then surly the negative feedback isn't valid?

I've never experienced this on any other forum before :(

Jack

Feedback is an opinion, and doesn't have much to do with the rules. If someone doesn't agree with your post, then they will give you negative feedback. So, unless someone is abusing the system and giving you tons and tons of negative feedback, there isn't anything valid/not valid about it.

Feedback is an opinion, and doesn't have much to do with the rules. If someone doesn't agree with your post, then they will give you negative feedback. So, unless someone is abusing the system and giving you tons and tons of negative feedback, there isn't anything valid/not valid about it.

Thanks for getting back to me. That makes sense, it's hard to tell as there's not any usernames but it certainly looks like it could be from 1 person:

fwb.png

weekly crap ad

Another worthless copy and paste offer

^ Not quite sure what these user(s) expect in the advertising forum?

Jack

Something to consider: http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/search.php?searchid=16859

Looks like 3 pages of just the same thread posted over and over and over again.

Check out rule number 6 for webhosts here. This thread is also worth a quick read.

I'm unable to view the search link.

Both posts you linked to are rules in the paid hosting requests forum rather than offers. The negative rep I've received is for my offers of which to my knowledge there is no rules against using the same advert each week.

I'm aware that the "other offers forum" has this rule of which I follow. I posted there today because it's a completely different offer.

For the requests forum I always personally try and meet the requirements of the OP if I can, if not I don't reply. Someone even gave me positive rep for one of my replies to a users hosting request thread.

Thank you.

This is the reason we need the ability to see who gives good rep and who gives bad rep. I don't see a reason to keep it hidden at all.

Here: http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/announcement.php?f=27
Rules for webhosts: Number 7 ^

Plus, it seems to degrade the overall quality of the forums to copy and paste the exact same thread over and over again.

The more information link goes to the rules page in the requests forum and the other points seem to relate to the requests also.

forumakj.jpg

I certainly agree that copy/paste content degrades the overall experience but there's a big difference when it comes to offers in comparison to other sections as:

- The users browsing this forum should be expecting pre-made adverts as with other forums

Regarding why users who give you + or - rep not being shown, I don't know... I think it would curb on the rep abuse. I don't think there is a major issue on rep abuse right now though, because if there was the rep would be disabled of that user if they were abusing it. They would only be allowed to give + rep.

I think you might attract more people to your hosting if you make changes to your ad every week, because it shows you're putting in time to make some offers for your customers.

zomex, you have understood the rules correctly. Rule number 7 is for replies to requests, not ad threads.

If members would start to report things they find abusive instead of -rep we could sort out these misunderstandings of the rules.

Recently I got 2 negative reputation. One for user name change request (Reason: username fail) and another for replies on shared hosting request (Reason: Aren't you a Burst.NET reseller?).

So, I am requesting please enable ability to see who gives +rep and who gives -rep.

The risk of -rep wars is what worries me about that. I think -rep would only get worse, but it's possible that some members would stop the abusive -rep if they knew the other member would know who gave it.

Regarding why users who give you + or - rep not being shown, I don't know... I think it would curb on the rep abuse. I don't think there is a major issue on rep abuse right now though, because if there was the rep would be disabled of that user if they were abusing it. They would only be allowed to give + rep.

I think you might attract more people to your hosting if you make changes to your ad every week, because it shows you're putting in time to make some offers for your customers.

I agree there can't be a major issue but at the same time it only takes 1 person for what ever reason to dislike me or one of my posts to report all of my posts which aren't breaking the rules.

I respect your opinion but I don't agree. The fact remains that every host is offering very, very similar features and features that rarely change. I do update my thread every few weeks when features change but generally it's the same. There's thousands of things small to medium sized hosts can spend their time on but changing the advert each week is unlikely to have any impact. Also if someone has viewed your advert once and didn't purchase than there's only a few options:

1) They are not interested and carry on looking
2) They have found another host
3) They will come back to either the same advert or Google the name

I can't see many people viewing the same companies threads each week and those that do are unlikely to be offended by the same advert as the features, options, pricing etc hardly ever change for any company.

I do agree in terms of making new offers but even then for a smaller host time can be better spent in many areas to keep existing clients happy or find new customers rather than making a unique advert each week.

Jack

zomex, you have understood the rules correctly. Rule number 7 is for replies to requests, not ad threads.

If members would start to report things they find abusive instead of -rep we could sort out these misunderstandings of the rules.

Thank you for your confirmation!

Recently I got 2 negative reputation. One for user name change request (Reason: username fail) and another for replies on shared hosting request (Reason: Aren't you a Burst.NET reseller?).

So, I am requesting please enable ability to see who gives +rep and who gives -rep.

That must be very annoying but it's nice to know that I'm not alone in this.

It may not look like much but because I have the negative rep it means I'm loosing business/coming across as unreliable/having a bad reputation just because some users don't understand the rules!

The risk of -rep wars is what worries me about that. I think -rep would only get worse, but it's possible that some members would stop the abusive -rep if they knew the other member would know who gave it.

That would definitely be a big help

The most annoying example of bad rep:

- Someone was looking for a host and then accepted one of the offers. This was my response:

It looks like Occeanic meet your needs. Good luck with your goals.

Jack

I got negative reputation for this with the comment being: Hi

Last edited by a moderator:
It's ok, darknight made you green.
People do abuse the -rep.
I dont really give out -rep, except to people who give it to me.
I dont see why people are like that, the world should just be full of love and acceptance <3

Last edited:
I said this myself many times before. We need to see who is posting the rep! Not retaliate, but so that we can report the lamers that do give negative rep for stupid reasons.

If we let users see who gave -rep then you would also see all the old -rep given during a time when people expected it to not be possbile to see who left it. Might be a problem.

It's ok, darknight made you green.
People do abuse the -rep.
I dont really give out -rep, except to people who give it to me.
I dont see why people are like that, the world should just be full of love and acceptance <3

Thanks mate I appreciate it :)

Back