• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I'm not breaking any rules?

Why would it be a problem? Just implement a rule that from here going forward people can be reported for it and that this is or reset everyone to 0

Rep is just a matter of personal opinion. You can't really "report" somebody because they disliked a bunch of posts. If anything, just disable the reputation feature entirely forum wide.

We are not going to reset it to 0 or remove it. You can obviously report reputation abuse to us if you get offensive messages. But if you get a -rep you don't like or understand that's not something we have the time to look into. If we find out that a member is abusing the reputation system, they will loose the ability to -rep. It has happened to a couple of members.

I think when a user choose wisely and thinks twice before posting something to be sure this will help other users, it's unlikely to receive any negative rep.

Please check my last negative reputation.

niWTy.png

Some members are abusing reputation feature.

I think when a user choose wisely and thinks twice before posting something to be sure this will help other users, it's unlikely to receive any negative rep.

The fact remains that some people enjoy doing it. I'm certain that most of the negative rep is from someone that's in direct competition.

The adverts section of this forum is a really nice benefit to any web hosting providers but it's unusable if we can't make use (following the rules) of it without receiving negative rep.

We are not going to reset it to 0 or remove it. You can obviously report reputation abuse to us if you get offensive messages. But if you get a -rep you don't like or understand that's not something we have the time to look into. If we find out that a member is abusing the reputation system, they will loose the ability to -rep. It has happened to a couple of members.

Perhaps you could remove the ability to give reputation in the advertising forums as that's likely where the abuse happens. I can't see why anyone would give someone positive reputation from seeing an advert/listing of products anyway but I could be wrong.

Jack

The fact remains that some people enjoy doing it.
Some seem to, it just shows that some need to step away from their computers for longer periods of time. I liken them to cowards. They talk tough when nobody can see them, but I bet they would run a mile if confronted in real life.

This just proves that the feature is being abused. I try to make sure that i only give negative rep when people are really rude or dumb.

But rep bombing is fun!

-jk-

Ive received a few abusive reps, but the problem is, you give to much a ---- to let it go...

I respect your opinion but I don't agree. The fact remains that every host is offering very, very similar features and features that rarely change. I do update my thread every few weeks when features change but generally it's the same. There's thousands of things small to medium sized hosts can spend their time on but changing the advert each week is unlikely to have any impact. Also if someone has viewed your advert once and didn't purchase than there's only a few options:

1) They are not interested and carry on looking
2) They have found another host
3) They will come back to either the same advert or Google the name

I can't see many people viewing the same companies threads each week and those that do are unlikely to be offended by the same advert as the features, options, pricing etc hardly ever change for any company.

I do agree in terms of making new offers but even then for a smaller host time can be better spent in many areas to keep existing clients happy or find new customers rather than making a unique advert each week.

Jack

Hi there.

I think I disagree with some of your opinions, and it just may be what is translating into the -reps too. While it is "not against the rules" to post the same ad multiple times, I absolutely agree with the sentiment that overall it does degrade the userland feel. I'll brainstorm a little here:

If they see your ad and aren't interested (yet!?) then you would hope that when they *are* in the market, they consider you. Something to do with the Bump mechanics of the forum is where it looks ugly to see the multiple copies of ads by the same X hosts. I like to know who is a fresh new entrant, and it's "noise" to burn past the repeat copies of ads. Without over-extending myself again because I have a habit of getting excited by data projects, it makes me want to "static link" the top ads, and keep it visible. It makes me think of a Chart format that compares all ads side by side as a "check box" of features so let's say there's some 50 typical features, each host offers such and such, then you say "as long as the offer is good, it stays on the grid".

Edit: I just thought of this, "date ad became active".

Last edited:
Hi there.

I think I disagree with some of your opinions, and it just may be what is translating into the -reps too. While it is "not against the rules" to post the same ad multiple times, I absolutely agree with the sentiment that overall it does degrade the userland feel. I'll brainstorm a little here:

If they see your ad and aren't interested (yet!?) then you would hope that when they *are* in the market, they consider you. Something to do with the Bump mechanics of the forum is where it looks ugly to see the multiple copies of ads by the same X hosts. I like to know who is a fresh new entrant, and it's "noise" to burn past the repeat copies of ads. Without over-extending myself again because I have a habit of getting excited by data projects, it makes me want to "static link" the top ads, and keep it visible. It makes me think of a Chart format that compares all ads side by side as a "check box" of features so let's say there's some 50 typical features, each host offers such and such, then you say "as long as the offer is good, it stays on the grid".

Edit: I just thought of this, "date ad became active".

This topic is still relevant as it's still happening.

I agree that the same ad each week isn't good for the forum. My issue is that at this time it's not against the rules. I believe the solution is:

- The ability to report users who abuse the negative rep feature.
- Make a new rule to stop weekly posts or posts of the same ad
- Perhaps remove ads after 1 week? Allot of forums do this and it works well

I completely agree that it's not ideal for the forum however, as the industry is so competitive many of us will do what we can based on the rules of the forum. If it's a problem then a new rule should be introduced.

My opinion is that most people are not constantly in the marked for web hosting. In which case it's important to try and reach as many potential customers as possible.

Jack

This brings up my same question again... How can somebody abuse the reputation system when rep is based solely on opinion?

What are the grounds to be considered "abuse"? Too many -reps to +reps? We have to maintain a certain ratio???? If so, what is it?

Back