• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Innovative idea's...

Hmmmm.......

Well, for me there are two ways .....

1)

You could go to a big and reliable advertising company that offer a banner programm based on impressions. This way you don´t have to rely on a specified clickthrough behaviour of your members, you could combine this with a "User placable" Banner option, so both sides would be satisfied.

or

2)

A banner console that loads in the background of your members pages and it would be controlled through a cookie scriptlet, i.e. the visitors would see it only once in a specific time period...
This would be still acceptable.

Maybe this could help ya a lil...

How about a modified version of my old ad bar minus the search box? I'll make many different colors and people can choose which one to use.

[Edited by syanet on 03-13-2001 at 04:03 PM]

It could be a good idea, espescially if you make different colors. But some people might find it annoying. I think you should let the users choose from different types of ads, like pop-up, ad bar, banner, etc.

If I can find a decent banner advertiser I'll give the option of an userplaceable ad bar or banner. I also want to give the option of a search box above the fold, but don't know if that will be possible yet. If none are placed on your page, you get a popup by default. how's that sound?

I think that you should remove the 5gb transfer limit, because that'll turn more people away than the popups...
You actually don't need the limit because the bigger the transfer is, the more visitors the site gets and you get more money then.

Because putting a transfer limit is the cheapest way... Why are most of the big hosts without a transfer limit?

Worldzone looks very bad - they don't even have ftp :(

Originally posted by bobyx
Why are most of the big hosts without a transfer limit?
Worldzone looks very bad - they don't even have ftp :(

Nbci, Geocities, Angelfire, Tripod, and Fortunecity are owned by multi million dollar corporations; Worldzone is not.

Okay, I've been testing systems and I now have an effective way of offering the following:

1. Pop up once per 24 hours (won't spawn more)
2. Pop behind once per 24 hours (won't spawn more)
3. Exit pop up once per 24 hours (won't spawn more)
4. Ad bar (across the top of page with 3 text links)
5. Search box placed above the fold

Which would be your choice? I want to add banners to the list, but due to the lack of sponsors, don't know if that will be possible.

I find the pop-ups abd the search box to be the least annoying to the user. But they probably won't provide enough revenue. Lets say a site has 30 hits per day, and a pop up goes on 30 times. About one user clicks on the pop-up, per day. That equtes to about 50 cents of revenue a day. Multiply that by 30 days and you have $15/month. Let's say you have 500 users, that's $7500. Erp... Perhaps it will work.

Remember, however, that warez users and abusers will suck up that bandwidth. Also, many sites get less than 30 hits, 30 hits is an extremely optimistic guess.

Maybe an exit pop up opened once a day used in conjunction with a search box? Would that be acceptable? Also, your saying $15 a month per user, but I'm contemplating offer the same package, without the banners for $5 a month. This would make me profit, so I could afford to host sites that don't meet the 30 hit requirement and still be profitable.

A search box and a once a day pop behind would (in my opinion) be acceptable. But it depends on where the search box is placed, what's the default text in it, and the size of the search box.

I don't think I'd like a search box. It seems like not many people would use them on purpose. They would be trying to search your site, thne leave your site after they search. Prolly they'd just hit the back button afterwards, to return. But some pay to searches only pay once the user clicks a result, not makes a search. One good thing about them is that search boxes load faster than say a banner or pop up.

Hmmm...

I was thinking, why don't you have two sigups, one pop-up free, one with pop-ups. The one one without pop-ups would be basic, and the one with would be all pimped-out with features. That way, you would be known with the banner-free
crowd, but most would still use the advanced account with pop-ups.

Just a thought.

Back