• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Installing a Forum

.Joe.

Yours Truly
NLC
Hello,

(sorry if this is the wrong forum, if it is, please any mod/admin can you move it? thanks!)

Anyways, can anyone help me out because I want to learn myself...how exactly would I want to install a forum on my webhost which has cPanel/mySQL/etc. say I wanted to install myBB or IPB what would I do?

Thanks!

Difficult to say Chief they vary a bit on install, most like a db setup first so using cPAnel create one then a user and assign it then run the installer after upload. That's usually about as much as there is too it with the mainstream BB's.
Taking care going through the installer is the best advice I can offer after that.
Jan's advice is not bad as in having the help/install instructions open all the way through as it is easy to just make a mess of one entry on the way through if the installer isn't too clear.
I suppose, open the MySQL manager, phpMyAdmin and another for the installer plus your ftp client and just have at it, installing and deleting as required till your doing it blindfold :)

Thanks everyone; decker and yun.
Thanks Jan for the myBB installing guide.
Is there any IPB installing guides?

Thanks!

IPB is very simple to install, just create a database with a username assigned to it, upload all the files required then run siteaddress.com/install.

IPB includes a how-to in the archive you download from the client area.

Thanks John, hey Jan, that link doesn't work? or is just me :p

EDIT: Its alright, I just went on the mybb site and found it myself.

Thanks guys for the help. I'll be using these guides to help me get better with this stuff!

Sorry, I have another question. When installing the board (myBB) or IPB is there any where to compress all the files and then extract them inside the FTP folder, so I don't have to install each file on-by-one?

Last edited:
[JSH]John;891055 said:
if you zip the files up, you can extract them using the file manager within cPanel.

Never seen that feature, where is it?

Other option is uploading the tar.gz file and shell in to run the 'tar' extract command.

Back