• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Internet Connection on two comps

shizzle

WOw I have a title
NLC
I cannot connect to the internet on both my computers(which are on a network) at the same time, and my dad needs one of them so Im stuck with no internet for like, 3 days until we fix it.

the network itself works fine. just my ISP wont let us open two connections. We called, they said it was our problem, but I know it was theirs. Im gonna wait a week (its happened before and got fixed after a week) and then call em and yell at em.

Im not using a router, per se. Im using a Ethernet hub. I have the ADSL modem, one comp,a dn the other comp all plugged into it. I used to just be able to open a connection on each computer independently, but now if one is on, the other one isnt getting on. It gives some PPPoe error or something.

Will using a router rather than a hub be better?

Actually, it's not their fault. They don't allow multiple connections through a hub.

The only way to connect both computers is to use a router and use only 1 ip instead of the 2 that the hub uses to connect both computers.

uhh...

are ADSL and cable the same?

cuz i'm sharing cable with 3 computer, and then there is the server

we just shoved the modem on the main computer, then hooked them all up to the hub, and shared the internet connection, does that work?

Some ISPs require that all systems have an external IP to connect, that is why you cannot share the Internet. Ask them how much an additional IP would cost per month and see if that may be a solution. Try buying a router (you can always return it) and see if that fixes your problem. It may/should/could but you never know until you try/buy. hehe.

i'd also recommend a router... works fine for us! we've got four comps online, all under one visible i.p.

I've never tried doing it that way, but I have networked 8 computers on a simple 10Mbps hub.

I just ran AnalogX Proxy on the computer with the DSL connection and used a 2nd NIC to connect it to the hub. Then all I had to do was assign IP addresses in the same range and configure the browsers on the other 7 computers to go through the proxy.

:)

it works fine for me, except I just use a crossover cable and configured my connection when connected to the other computer

Originally posted by sonichost.net
I've never tried doing it that way, but I have networked 8 computers on a simple 10Mbps hub.

I just ran AnalogX Proxy on the computer with the DSL connection and used a 2nd NIC to connect it to the hub. Then all I had to do was assign IP addresses in the same range and configure the browsers on the other 7 computers to go through the proxy.

:)

Basically, you created a router out of a computer.

I've heard that inetserver computers (router computers) work really well actually but I'd buy a traditional router for the hardware firewall and easier management as well as the lower power usage.

A rounter.

I never tried a hub, but my cable company said that hub won't work well with them, but a rounter. They also told me that they don't support any home networking but they do not care about it if I set it up.

So, a rounter will surely work fine. And it's not expensive.

Back