• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Internet's First Free 1 Gigabyte Email Service

Google did not "invent" free email accounts, nor is their service going to include a POP3 or IMAP account, nor does that site serve context sensitive ads, so I really don't see how you can call it a copycat.

They're just jumping on the bandwagon and luring people with an email account the size of which noone will ever use. Be honest, the only reason you'd ever want one is because you can, not because you actually need it.

Last edited:
Spymac.com will remove that soon enough, once they realize that a majority of the users have nothing to contribute to the Mac scene.

They are copycat if they offer an IDENTICAL service.

I mean, yeah, there are a lot of free e-mail places, but they're all different from features to size of the e-mail box, etc. But its obvious these people just took the google press release and implemented every single thing they found in it.

Originally posted by Conscript
They are copycat if they offer an IDENTICAL service.

I mean, yeah, there are a lot of free e-mail places, but they're all different from features to size of the e-mail box, etc. But its obvious these people just took the google press release and implemented every single thing they found in it.
Spymac has been the same way for a while, they just recently upped the quota to 1GB.
Do you research before you run your mouth.

Gee, I wonder what inspired them to up their quota to 1GB :rolleyes:
I don't doubt that.
However they did NOT implement everything they found in the press release like you suggested. :angry2:

Originally posted by Epgs
Wow, I can't believe they blatently stole that idea so quickly.

Why is this such a bad thing? If Microsoft lowers their price on their Xbox and Sony "copies" them by lowering their price on the Playstation is that so bad? They are trying to keep themselves competitive.

I'm not a big fan of Spymac (I don't use it either), but companies copying consumer-friendly practices/services from each other certainly should not be frowned on.

Another thing that came to my mind..

Why would anyone have 1 GB of e-mail? Since most e-mails are around 15KB (just by examining my own e-mail folders) it would take around 70,000 e-mails to fill that up.

Unless of course you're sending and keeping a lot of attachments... but I mean you look at those, save them on your comp, and delete them.

My opinion is that this 1GB thing is just a marketing ploy. People will sign up for all the free space but only like 1 out of 1,000 people will actually use a significant portion of that space. It's just like the hosting scam of "unlimited" space. I bet once you start nearing your 1GB quota or using too much space and bandwidth on their e-mail servers, they'll find a way to can your account, just like many "unlimited" hosting people find ways to can people's accounts that are a drain on the resources that they are supposed to be entitled to by subscribing.

Last edited:
My opinion is that this 1GB thing is just a marketing ploy. People will sign up for all the free space but only like 1 out of 1,000 people will actually use a significant portion of that space. It's just like the hosting scam of "unlimited" space. I bet once you start nearing your 1GB quota or using too much space and bandwidth on their e-mail servers, they'll find a way to can your account, just like many "unlimited" hosting people find ways to can people's accounts that are a drain on the resources that they are supposed to be entitled to by subscribing.
I can already envision dozens of people sending themselves 1Gb of mail just to test Google's limits :biggrin2:

Gmail is Google's answer to finding a way to tie people to their search engine and brand name. The 1Gb is most definitly a marketing ploy; it would be a nightmare to manage even a thousand emails through a webbased interface.
I doubt they'll kick anyone out for using up their entire quota though, it would create too much negative publicity. Gmail doesn't have to be profitable, it just has to keep people from looking at other search alternatives in the future.

Originally posted by CareBear
I can already envision dozens of people sending themselves 1Gb of mail just to test Google's limits :biggrin2:

Gmail is Google's answer to finding a way to tie people to their search engine and brand name. The 1Gb is most definitly a marketing ploy; it would be a nightmare to manage even a thousand emails through a webbased interface.
I doubt they'll kick anyone out for using up their entire quota though, it would create too much negative publicity. Gmail doesn't have to be profitable, it just has to keep people from looking at other search alternatives in the future.
Funny you should say that.
My friends and I were going to have a little fun, spamming a single account with email, no attachments, and see how fast we could fill it up.

doesnt have many of google's planned features, so not exactly a "copycat," but still taking the 1gb idea. it doesnt have the "no folders" thing, doesnt have the searching feature (but i cant say, as i havent signed up).

i just dont see how they can give users all this stuff--1gb of email, 250mb of storage, 100mb of website crap...

in an article they wrote they attacked google, though... about their adsense service reading email. how the heck is it an invasion of privacy? no one reads the damn emails, and information isnt stored. even the privacy policy states that. but morons, idiots, and aholes find it SO HARD to understand that things can be done automatedly with scripts and programs--why?

Originally posted by stabme
in an article they wrote they attacked google, though... about their adsense service reading email. how the heck is it an invasion of privacy? no one reads the damn emails, and information isnt stored. even the privacy policy states that. but morons, idiots, and aholes find it SO HARD to understand that things can be done automatedly with scripts and programs--why?
These parts specifically:
residual copies of email may remain on our systems for some time, even after you have deleted messages from your mailbox or after the termination of your account.
This part apparantly goes against European privacy laws which supposidly state that a consumer should have full control over their personal communication, that no copy should remain after it's been deleted by the user and that you should have full control over whether or not you want your email scanned in any form.

We also may collect information about the use of your account, such as how much storage you are using, how often you log in and other information related to your registration and use of Gmail. Information displayed or clicked on in your Gmail account (including UI elements, ads, links, and other information) is also recorded.
Even if your email is long gone, there would be a record of which ads were displayed to you in response to which words that were in your email and whether or not you actually clicked on the ad.

Google may share cookie information among its other services for the purpose of providing you a better experience.
Meaning that they could use a cookie to link your email account or identity to any searches you perform on google itself.

Those aren't my personal objections, but my understanding of why people think gmail violates privacy.

Last edited:
Information displayed or clicked on in your Gmail account (including UI elements, ads, links, and other information) is also recorded.
i think the purpose of collecting this is merely for survey. to see what a public opinion might be, etc. as google is a service starting from stanford, they might be also collecting information and sending it to stanford or to a db for research info. (plus theres many researchers working for google)

but really, what does it matter? i seriously doubt that there's someone there actually looking at you and spying on you, seeing what info you look at, stalking you. why would you do that? it's hard to do when there's hundreds of thousands of users. it'd be a waste of time. it's just automation and turned to a statistic. nothing about individuality.

plus, the internet is practically anonymous. there's no records of people stored on computers, and you're not forced to give personal info. (unless you're an idiot). they cant really trace you. (well, if they really wanted to, you wouldnt need to collect that other junk. just ip address and time, contact isp, and they have you. but can only get pers. info or addr., etc., w/ warrant). someone's identity is anonymous. it hardly makes a difference. it just seems like research-gathering info.

and the cookies.. automated probably to. it's just prefernece to make searching better. if someone really wanted to, they could block of cookies.

google is trying to take the next step and make things easier and the search and service more unique, but people are paranoid. then theres some people who just dont understand about full-automation.

Back