• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

is this illegal?

ITahmed

I have someone intrested in hosting a website. this website would have a few links to external sites that offer illegal software and stuff like that, the data would not be on the server.... is that illegal?

I guess that is up to you. If you have no problem with supporting warez, even remotely, then go for it :S

*adds another host to my never to do business with list.

haha, how long is that list jan?

Personally I want nothing to do with anything even remotely questionable on my servers. not worth the $5/mo

I guess that is up to you. If you have no problem with supporting warez, even remotely, then go for it :S

*adds another host to my never to do business with list.

LOL Jan, I did not do it, mainly for copyright material and pirated software as it is unethical. I do not allow adult hosting for ethical principal (clearly stated on our site in FAQs), would I allow pirated progies!!!!

haha, how long is that list jan?

Personally I want nothing to do with anything even remotely questionable on my servers. not worth the $5/mo
Good point too.

If it's illegal to provide these in the first place, then, in my eyes, it is illegal to link to them.

Same question on wht...
If you think it's wrong don't do it.

It's like getting maried with your cousin.
May be legal, but not quite moral.

It depends which country your servers are in. If it's China, then chances are the authorities wont care, if it's Russia, they might care, as they're seeking trade agreements with the US, and piracy is something that is a barrier for that. If they're in the US, then chances are the FBI will raid your server and you'd be in some trouble.

Nonetheless, it's ripping people's work off.

Think of it this way,

You spend about 4 or 5 months painting a few artworks, and you sell them for $500 each. Imagine your artwork being available for download, and people just being able to print them off with a high tech printer which is nearly identical to the original artworks, and as a result your sales are affected. Would you like that?

Mini

Last edited:
I don't think it is worth the risk to do so. Even if it is allow, morally, it is not recommend. Like other have said, it may not be illegal to married your sister but will you?

This is illegal, it's like supporting someone robbing a bank..
Even if you only drive them you help them do the robbing.

It's illegal in the UK and most likely in the US. I'm shocked no one got this. I'm pretty sure it still spreading or promoting the breach of copyright laws.

Look at it this way. Even if you can get away with allowing it --- Should you? Is it honestly worth your reputation and the possible word of mouth negative publicity you would receive for the few dollars a month? Most likely not. I would just send them on their way and tell them that it is not in your best interest.

Good Luck!

Back