• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

LayeredTech | Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
We run dual opterons with no problems at all for VPS hosting. We go through layered tech and have had no problems. You are buying an unmanaged server so you shouldnt really expect to really get much from anyone in terms of suport unless it is a hardware/network issue.

We used AMD Opterons on our VPS nodes and compared with Intel...bad as I hate to say it but Intel's were outperforming our AMD's all day.

I would recommend Intel but AMD comes cheaper sometimes...Depends on what host you buy from.

I can't reccomend LT. I've been with too many providers in the past, and they are one of the worst. They randmly unplug servers for fun, and tell you to screw off when you need support. Terrible service, not reccomended.

LayeredTech has been one of the best server provider but recently heard from some of my friends and learn that their service quality is moving downwards. I heard some good stuff about SoftLayer, might want to check out with them. :)

utcrazy said:
I can't reccomend LT. I've been with too many providers in the past, and they are one of the worst. They randmly unplug servers for fun, and tell you to screw off when you need support. Terrible service, not reccomended.

Yes!
I did a deal with utcrazy a few days ago for my reseller and shared clients. I thought it was a reasonably fair deal and I must say, if it hadn't been for LT, utcrazy would have benefitted nicely from it and I would be a happy guy today.
On Friday, utcrazy went on a weekend break, which was cool. He asked if I would keep an eye on things and I agreed and he provided me with root access to his server, which I thought was really trusting of him, since he doesn't know me.
Anyways, Friday night, Saturday morning (Saturday evening Irish time), apache failed on the server, thus making all sites invisible. I tried everything to get apache restarted and couldn't. Tried in WHM and in Shell. No good. It just wouldn't start. That's when the real problems began. All the resellers and some of the shared clients came to me on MSN wondering WTF was up with their accounts. I explained that Apache was down and I was doing my best to get it sorted.
To cut a long story short, I went to bed at 5am Sunday Morning (Irish Time) and when I woke about 4 hours later, I emailed LT and explained what happened.
Their Reply:
Hello,

We will need your correct Server ID to locate your system.
Your Server ID was included in the Welcome email you received when your server was deployed. It is also included on every invoice. It is a 4 or 5 digit number. Without this number we are unable to physically locate your system in our data center.

Note: The IP address of your server is insufficient. Any number containing the words "Barton", "Semperon", "Opteron", "Xeon" or other processor type is NOT your server ID. This is the name of the product package you ordered from us and does not uniquely identify YOUR server.
For your protection and ours, you MUST include the following in all support requests:

Your Client ID
Your Server ID

Your support request must come from a previously authorized email address.
Now, I said, "Ok that's fair enough. They have a tight security policy."

So after some hours, I emailed again and explained that the authorised owner was out of town and that all they had to do was restart Apache. Again, I got a similar reply saying "We are not authorised to touch the servers". Like, let's be honest here. Why the hell are they there for then?
So basically, in a polite manner I told them how rediculous it was and that the clients are being totally forgotten here.
The reply to this was:
Hello,

The statements presented are exactly the type of social engineering my staff is trained to avoid. Please understand, we have no idea who you are or if you are authorized to administer this server.

This IP address is responding to ping and ssh. We can do nothing further without authorization.

Thank you,

John Braeking
Support Manager
Layered Technologies
I emailed and apologised for expressing my true and heartfelt opinion of their service and left it at that.

So basically, what I am saying is this. If you value your finances, and value your clients or potential clients, Do Not Go There!

As a result of this downtime of over 24 hours, the clients found other services to host them and the deal with myself and utcrazy had to be reversed.

If you are serious about web hosting and providing a good service and competing in the market, spend some money on a decent box.

I would have to actually side with layeredtech on that situation. It was a simple request but I am VERY glad they have a tight security policy in place. Even if it was something small I would be pissed if someone restarted apache on my server when it was not authorized to be done. These days you never know what people are trying to do and when peoples business's are on the line you need to be extra sure you are not making unauthorized changes.

it's kind of like someone going into your house and not stealing anything. You still would not want them in there.

AvailNetworks said:
I would have to actually side with layeredtech on that situation. It was a simple request but I am VERY glad they have a tight security policy in place. Even if it was something small I would be pissed if someone restarted apache on my server when it was not authorized to be done. These days you never know what people are trying to do and when peoples business's are on the line you need to be extra sure you are not making unauthorized changes.

it's kind of like someone going into your house and not stealing anything. You still would not want them in there.
I'm with Avail on this one.

Their support is either hit or miss, they will either reply promptly or in my current situation have been waiting 24hrs to get an additional block of IPs

AvailNetworks said:

I was authorised by utcrazy to manage things while he was away.

In such a case, did utcrazy actually notify LT you would be authorized to make requests on his server?

Because if someone came to me and said....John Doe says I can manage his box and I need you to restart apache, if I didn't have authorization from the owner of the box... We don't touch it. I don't care if the Pope gave you authorization, if we don't have authorization from the person leasing the box....Your out of luck. Unless it was a situation of content on the server or bandwidth utilization/DDOS etc. That would be the only case that we would just unplug the box and wait on a reply from the owner to remedy the problem.

LT could have the judgement to fix apache themselves, they don't have to believe that Dan had access. He already had the root password.

Yes.
Like, if I had no authorisation from utcrazy, I would not have been able to supply the root password to LT.
Anyways, the bottom line is, it takes just a few moments for one of their techs to sort the apache situation out. It's not like it would have made the server worse. But they had no interest and I found them to be ignorant.
End of story. If they gave me a server for free I still wouldn't go with them.

any hacker can come up with a root password if they wanted to, just because you had it does not mean much of anything. if LT was aware of the situation it would have been a different outcome I suspect

AvailNetworks said:
any hacker can come up with a root password if they wanted to, just because you had it does not mean much of anything. if LT was aware of the situation it would have been a different outcome I suspect
I agree with Avail on this, root password mean nothing. So what if you have the root password, how can they validate whether this password was given by the owner? Than again, on LayerTech side, did you explain to them that the server Apache was down? If you did, than i believe LayerTech should at least do a quick check on it.

James said:
LT doesn't have to fix your apache, so it's not really an argument against LT.

another great point, I totally skimmed right over addressing that part. Also layered only takes support tickets from the registered email address too. You could have got around the problem by gaining access to the master mail account and password and submitted a support ticket in the proper manner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back