• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Looking for a good webhost

LordJormungand

I've been looking around for a webhost, but I have no idea what I need.

I want:
A price of less than 10$ a month
At least 8 GB of bandwidth
At least 200 MB space
FTP Access
Email

Most of all I want a reliable, stable host that would be good for a beginner looking to test and develop his skills.

8 GB for a beginner are useless. Spend less and get a 2-3Gb plan. Also check if your future host has cgi-bin, php & mysql support. Even if you don't need them at the moment...you may need them pretty soon. Also 200MB of space is a big amount too. 50-100MB are more than enough to begin. Another important thing is the panel that your host will offer. The best choices are : Cpanel & Plesk. Also frontpage extensions are often very important for beginers..so don't forget them too(only in case you use Frontpage for building your sites)

<<< removed by moderator >>> Lord... is looking for a "stable, reliable" host which means he is looking for a recommendation and as a host you can't reply to this type of post. /Peo

Last edited:
<<< removed >>> Lord... is looking for a "stable, reliable" host which means he is looking for a recommendation and as a host you can't reply to this type of post. /Peo

Originally posted by Mika
8 GB for a beginner are useless. Spend less and get a 2-3Gb plan. Also check if your future host has cgi-bin, php & mysql support. Even if you don't need them at the moment...you may need them pretty soon. Also 200MB of space is a big amount too. 50-100MB are more than enough to begin. Another important thing is the panel that your host will offer. The best choices are : Cpanel & Plesk. Also frontpage extensions are often very important for beginers..so don't forget them too(only in case you use Frontpage for building your sites)

well, its good to have something to grow into... sonichost.net and myacen.com should both fit him pretty well...

? about Domain names

I see that the Myacen and Sonichost packages allow sub-domains. Do the packages come with domain names or do I have to pay seperately for that?

Just incase you didn't know this You can still buy your domain through myacen.com but there is a basic "Rule of thumb" that you buy your domain from somewhere besides your host

Originally posted by spork

well, its good to have something to grow into... sonichost.net and myacen.com should both fit him pretty well...

Just some statistics : most of sites never go over the 50 MB

For a beginner 50-100MB that I've suggested are enough not just to grow but to build an empire! Keep touch with reality!

And anyway host almost always allow upgrades..or you can pass to the next plan!

Originally posted by Mika

Just some statistics : most of sites never go over the 50 MB

For a beginner 50-100MB that I've suggested are enough not just to grow but to build an empire! Keep touch with reality!

And anyway host almost always allow upgrades..or you can pass to the next plan!

well, i can´t confirm that but it wouldn´t be surprising since most sites are still small personal sites hosted on free hosts like geocities... it has more to do with the type of the site and the owners intentions more than anything else... and with 50-100 MB space you´d have to build a very small empire...

Originally posted by spork

well, i can´t confirm that but it wouldn´t be surprising since most sites are still small personal sites hosted on free hosts like geocities... it has more to do with the type of the site and the owners intentions more than anything else... and with 50-100 MB space you´d have to build a very small empire...

We are talking here about a beginner, right? Lets say he'll use html...in order to fill 100MB with html and graphics...it will take him months. If we suppose that he'll make a php site, it's as hard as with html to fill up that space. Ok, lets say he runs also a forum...as a new forum won't need much! Even very popular forums using VB, can easily stay under the 200MB if they delete some really old posts. All other scripts can't really take that much space. Data transfer is another argument (mainly depends by his site's popularity). Of course if he wants his site for downloads, multimedia or huge image galleries then he'll need even more than the 200MB that he requested. So in general, I agree with you that everything depends from the intentions of the site's owner, but generally beginners don't use much. Another fact that I'd like to report is that webmasters usually suffer from bandwidth usage and not lack of space. But anyway....

:) what are we talking about? At the end all these are his problems and like all of us he'll know to resolve all his issues very well, without our "clever" answers. :)

<<Stable reliable hosts are asked for, therefore only those who have used such a host should reply>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by guitarnerd
Why don't we let the thread started decide on what he needs.

Myacen I tell you Myacen!

I am inclined to agree, there is shouldn't be any further discussion. Myacen is that stable host.

Looking at just the prices, sonichost.net doesn't look too good compared to slabhost.com or itricks.net. But I know prices aren't everything...

I'm going to try itricks.net soon.

Originally posted by guitarnerd
......but there is a basic "Rule of thumb" that you buy your domain from somewhere besides your host
Really? How bizarre! I guess all hosts that sell domains (quite a few) are just breaking the rules and wasting their time. :rolleyes:

Our clients buy literally hundreds of domains from us and seem to like this value added service. I can't understand where you'd get such a notion, quite strange. I think that when a client buys a domain through their host even when their are cheaper services out there, it's a vote of confidence in that host being around for a long time.

Originally posted by NexDog

Really? How bizarre! I guess all hosts that sell domains (quite a few) are just breaking the rules and wasting their time. :rolleyes:
Not always correct mate, there are some unscrupulous hosts out there. I have a client who was referred to me because she was extremely naive. She signed up for a domain/hosting/webdesign package which would have cost her $AUD2,000. I took on her 'case' and said I would design her site, but needed the domain info. It was and still is in that host's name. I have talked to him on a few occasions and all I got was the login to get the site up. I have told her not to pay a cent until he gives her the right to her domain and so far he hasn't.

Her site is up, I have been paid, but she still does not have her own domain name (in her name). This is not an isolated case if you take a look at the domains forum. I most certainly wouldn't trust a host to cough up the domain.

I agree with guitarnerd, keep them separate. :devious2:

Hi Jan,

I don't think this is the norm, though. Best thing to do is ask on a host's forums about the domain you want to buy as there should be other members who have already gone through the process. Failing that, ask the host directly if they will retain ownership and keep the answer in a safe place if they reneg on a positive answer.

All hosts resell for some registrar so if you are misled into buying a domain name, you should report them to that registrar. If the registrar doesn't do anything then you can take it up with ICANN. The "Rule of Thumb" is prudence. Ask everything about anything before signing up for something on the net. :)

Back