• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

looking to buy a computer...

dapcgenius

Any pc companies i should stay away from?

I want to buy a
Pentium 3/4 1ghz-1.5ghz
20 gig 7200 rpm drive
128mb ram(min.)
32 mb(min.) DDR videocard
Dvd-rom(not a must)
CD-RW 12x/8x/32x
17+" monitor

I want to buy one that is under $2000 and dont have to pay for it til 2003. Any ideas?

I found a compaq for 1799 same as above except it had 60gig drive, 1.3ghz p4, 16x dvdrom, 8x cdrw. Is this a good deal?

I'd be a little bit leary about Compaq. If you aren't looking to expand much in the future, you'll probably be fine, but that's one major complaint I'm always hearing about them.

I'd probably buy from either Gateway or Dell, as Consumer Reports consistently rates them the top two manufacturers. That said, they can also be a little bit more expensive than companies like HP, Compaq, etc.

It's true that the Thunderbird (Athlon) does outperform the PIV and PIII at the same speeds at certain tasks, but there can be compatibility issues. I have a PIV 1.4 Ghz and it blows away anything else I've ever had experience with. It will even get better when companies write their software to take advantage of the processor

I also wouldn't use TigerSystems (or something else with "Tiger" in it). Despite their low prices, I've heard many bad reports about them. Dell however, has had nothing but good reports.

Originally posted by rperkins
dont get a Pentium get a thunderbird they use less system resources by half and they run alot faster. Graphics card ATI All-In-Wounder Radeon.(killer card; tv out, tv tunner, and RCA inputs) look at http://www.pricewatch.com

How does the Thunderbird use less resources? Explain.

if you find something you like at dell for the price you like ibm will match the price and computer system.

im not shure how it dose it but i have seen a thunder bird and a pentium running right next to each other and the thunder bire stayed at 90-95% and the pentium ran at 65% all the way down to 40%

(256mb ram, both 1.4, same cards, and a FIC AZ11-e Motherboard)

[Edited by rperkins on 04-18-2001 at 12:05 PM]

Originally posted by rperkins
be careful i had a friend buy a gateway about a month ago and the parts were saterd together

Your friend probably bought a Gateway Essential PC (low-end). If you buy the Performance or Select, you shouldn't run into the problems.

On another note, Gateway and Dell have slashed the hell out of the Pentium 4 prices. Gateway has reduced the 1.4 ghz price by 300 dollars, and the 1.5 by 500 dollars! Great time to buy a machine and you can throw some more RAM in there too! :)

I've heard lots of real good comments on Dell and Gateway.

STAY AWAY FROM PACKARD BELL!!

Originally posted by LeX
I've heard lots of real good comments on Dell and Gateway.

STAY AWAY FROM PACKARD BELL!!

What ever happened to Packard Bell anyway? When I go to http://www.packardbell.com, they ask you to select a country, and for whatever reason, the US isn't on there. All they have is something like "tech support for the Americas". When you go to that site, it doesn't appear to have much to do with Packard Bell at all.

But yea, if not the worst (e-machines might be right there with them), Packard Bell manufactured some of the worst computers ever known to man. They sold them at some WalMarts! LOL, that's never a good sign.

if u want a bunch of computer or any manufacturing company user reviews go to www.resellerreviews.com, they kick a**. i use a gateway, athlon 1.4 runs smooth, however gateway will discontinue selling athlons. their agreement ran out i dono if the will renew.

peace :biggrin2:

This thread is six months old, Adizlaja. I know you're pushing for that avatar, but digging up threads this old is just insane. If you must inflate your post count, at least try to respond only to threads on the first couple pages.

Originally posted by adizlaja
however gateway will discontinue selling athlons. their agreement ran out i dono if the will renew.
Well so will every other company. Compaq has already discontinued their Athlon PC's and now since HP and Compaq are together HP will probably discontinue them too. Dell never used them and I wouldn't expect them to start. That's why the only way to get a decent computer theses days is to build your own.

how do u expect me to know that its 6 month old??
The fact that the last post to it was back in April and that it was no where to be seen on the first page until your post brought it back to the top.

go with HP-Compaq(aren't they merged?) or Acer.

I recommend Dell though.

I recommend u to go with Acer because my PC is an acer. :D

Back