• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Man shot 5 times by Police in London wasn't linked to bombings after all

Dean

i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!
NLC
The man mistakenly shot dead by police in the belief that he was linked to a series of attempted bomb attacks has been named by police.

Jean Charles de Menezes, a 27-year-old Brazilian, was killed by officers on Friday as he tried to board a Tube train at Stockwell, south London.

Detectives later established that he was not connected to attempts to blow up three Underground trains and a bus in the capital the day before.

The Metropolitan Police said an inquest would be opened and adjourned into his death, which they described as a "tragedy".

The shooting happened at 10am when armed plain clothes police officers shot Mr de Menezes as he tried to board a train at the underground station.

He had emerged from a nearby house that was under surveillance because of a suspected link to Thursday's attempted bomb attacks. His clothing and behaviour added to the officers' suspicions.

He caught a bus to Stockwell Tube where he was challenged by officers, who told him to stop. The man then bolted down an escalator, according to witnesses.

It appears he tried to board a train before being shot five times in the head by an officer with an automatic pistol.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair had said on Friday that the shooting was "directly linked" to anti-terror operations.

However, Scotland Yard said: "We are now satisfied that he (the man) was not connected with the incidents of Thursday, July 21, 2005."

So basically, they shot him 5 times in the head because he tried to board a train. Was he running away from them? What law enforcement shoots people in the head? Should have shot him in the leg or thigh.

Last edited:
A "ANTI" terrorism law i suppose.

Wouldn't you be a little freaked out if 5 guys in plainclothes were following you and then pulled guns on you? You have to remember this guy is in a foreign country, and everyone was a little spooked due to the previous attacks. Plus these were not uniformed cops. He probably thought they were terrorists, trying to get him to star in their latest beheading video. Running might have been a mistake, but if they turned out to be baddies, he would have been dead either way.

The guy that made the call should be inprisioned. Its just appaling that this sort of shit can happen in a civlised country in this day and age.

Coming from one of the most racist police forces in the world, this isn't the least bit surprising.

Robert said:
So basically, they shot him 5 times in the head because he tried to board a train. Was he running away from them? What law enforcement shoots people in the head? Should have shot him in the leg or thigh.
The excuse they have is that if he was a suicide bomber shooting him above the waste where a bomb would probably be could cause an explosion.

And only wounding him could have given time to set off the device, had one existed.

Dean said:
Running might have been a mistake, but if they turned out to be baddies, he would have been dead either way.
Yes, running into the arms of the police who TOLD HIM TO STOP. If he had stopped just there:
Dean said:
He caught a bus to Stockwell Tube where he was challenged by officers, who told him to stop. The man then bolted down an escalator, according to witnesses.
...he would still have been alive.

Mahoro, the police officers were plain-clothed... If it were you, would you stop when five gun-wielding people point their guns at you and ask you to stop?

Except,when they told him to stop. he kept running then boarded a train,and he was also wearing a huge coat...but he is Innocent, bad timing and such...sooya.

trenzterra said:
Mahoro, the police officers were plain-clothed... If it were you, would you stop when five gun-wielding people point their guns at you and ask you to stop?

Yes. Why, you'd run?

At the Underground station, they wouldn't put plain clothes officers, and they probably weren't plain-clothed either. I don't know of any police force in the world that would be silly enough to have a transit checkpoint manned by officers not in uniform...unless London really goofed this one.

I agree with Robert. What kind of police force in a country that prides itself on being "civilized" shoots suspected criminals in the head? The UK sounds more like a military junta with every passing day. :rolleyes:

conkermaniac said:
I agree with Robert. What kind of police force in a country that prides itself on being "civilized" shoots suspected criminals in the head? The UK sounds more like a military junta with every passing day. :rolleyes:
Again, as I said above, it was because they believed him to be a suicide bomber.

Or so they claim.

has anyone bothered to watch the news? or atleast read the reports that are comin out? yes those officers were in plainclothes!

and yes the Brazilian that was wrongfully shot down was livng legally in the country!

From bbc
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4711639.stm

The BBC's correspondent in Brazil, Tom Gibb, said Mr Menezes had lived for a time in a slum district of Sao Paulo and that could explain why he had run from the police.

He said: "The murder rates in some of these slums are worse than in a lot of war zones and that could explain why, when plain clothes officers pulled a gun on him, he may have run away."

jmiller said:
Coming from one of the most racist police forces in the world, this isn't the least bit surprising.
Dude that's just wrong.

Police in the UK shoot dead the least people per capita compared to other first-world western societies like Australia and the US. They shoot less because they don't carry guns. The US shoots the most.
Mahoro said:
At the Underground station, they wouldn't put plain clothes officers, and they probably weren't plain-clothed either. I don't know of any police force in the world that would be silly enough to have a transit checkpoint manned by officers not in uniform...unless London really goofed this one.
Uniformed police officers DO NOT CARRY GUNS.

The thing I don't understand is why shoot him 5 times in the head at nearly point blank range. Once will do it.

Shoot him in the arm/leg. Terrorists have a legal right to a fair trial too you know.

Back