• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Money or happiness (non-midlife crisis)

syd

NLC
NLC
Especially for the older ones on the forum,

Which is the best route to go for?

I've come to two conclusions:

Business Administration or
Makeup artist

Business is getting the degree, then an MBA. The money is good, however I don't know if I could spend my life doing it.

Becoming a makeup artist would run me about $15,000 in schooling (plus the cost of living in downtown Vancouver for a year), and to be honest it probably will not pay much unless I become a famous makeup artist. And I'm a realistic person, I'm not expecting fame here.

The money, or the happiness? I don't know if I could handle 6 years of university. It's what everyone bugs me to do, but to be honest, I don't want to. My parents are not too keen on the makeup thing (they were hairdressers themselves back in the 70's) but I think I could enjoy it.

My hands are wobbly though. Some sort of nervous disorder. That might hamper my plans.

Which one would you go for?

Do what you like, so long as you have enough cash for your own needs, being a makeup artist is good.

If you want to be a degree holder, go with Masters of Business Administration.

go for da MBA - my mum is doing it and she's pretty happy - i mean she had me - and my 2 little sisters...

For me, I'll rather do what I like. Money comes next, but of course if I really need it I'll go for the highest paying job. :)

Originally posted by syd
The money, or the happiness? I don't know if I could handle 6 years of university. It's what everyone bugs me to do, but to be honest, I don't want to. My parents are not too keen on the makeup thing (they were hairdressers themselves back in the 70's) but I think I could enjoy it.
well, I have taken that direction......I am now in my first year but I have to re-do 3 exams, I already did 2 djeezzz what a nightmare :cry2:
chances that I have to do my first year again are quite big :(

that's the hard part if you prefer going out and make the best of your life, instead of studying :confused2

Go for the money! Because guess what picking the mba course doesn't mean you can predict the next few decades of your life. Thinking just by deciding on get a mba doesn't mean you'll ever find an interesting job in life-ever would be silly.

Would you like to do something you like, something that brings you happiness and at the same time make a living or would you rather spend the best years of your life learning something that you don't like and end up regretting you've made the decision?

Who cares about your parents? It's YOUR life! Not theirs! They can't make the decision for you! If you pick to take MBA, just so that your parents can be happy...then what is the point of doing it? Personally, if I was in your shoes, I would want to take the makeup artist course...:)

getting an MBA is really expensive. at the University of toronto it will cost ~ $65,000 for an MBA

If you are a good makeup artist and get hired for a movie or something you can make good money.

Happiness. I was thinking about this as well. In the end, you want to be doing something you love. You can live comfortably in any career. But you can't be happy in any career.

I think you should go with what makes you happy. But I agree with lotsofissues, just because you take a job doesn't mean that you're going to have it the rest of your life.

Back