• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

monitor refresh rate

Willow

I did a search and found another thread about this, but it didn't really answer my question, so I'm gonna ask. I was having a problem with a PC game (and still am, actually), half the game screen was cut off. Someone suggested making the monitor refresh rate higher. Well, I'm afraid to try. It's at 60 hertz. There's a check box that says it's the only one that works with my monitor. If I uncheck the box, it says it could cause damaged hardware . That's what made me nervous to try. If I tried another refresh rate, what are the chances it would damage the hardware?

If it means anything, I use 1024x768

I think to answer your question, you could gives us the info below.

Whats the manufacter of the monitor?
Is it a flat screen (LCD Display) or a tube one?
What are the specs of the monitor?
What game are you trying to play?

Its sounds like you have tube monitor with a 60 refesh rate, but just want to make sure before I give an answer.

Windows will query the resolutions your monitor can display from the monitor itself. Older or cheaper models don't have that particular feature so it'll just indicate a standard 60Hz.
I'm fairly sure any monitor even if it is a few years old should be able to handle 70/72/75Hz at the least. If it's 17" or more even more so.
Just uncheck the box and try 70Hz and hit apply. If your monitor won't support it you'll see anything ranging from a "signal out of range" message to just a blank screen to an distorted image. If that happens just wait 5-10 seconds and Windows will jump back to the old frequency.
I've never damaged a monitor by making small increments to see what maximum frequency it could support. Just be rational, don't switch it directly from 60Hz to 120Hz or something like that.
Besides one that was probably over 10 years old I've never seen a monitor that couldn't at least handle 70/72Hz at 1024x768.

Originally posted by CareBear

Besides one that was probably over 10 years old I've never seen a monitor that couldn't at least handle 70/72Hz at 1024x768.
My old 13" wouldn't go above 60Hz. 60Hz was a stetch really... it much preferred 46Hz. We also have a bunch of 9" monitors at school that won't even go above 54Hz and none of these monitors are more than 5 years old.

Now feel free to try something a bit higher because it won't hurt anything. The most it'll do is not work and Windows will bring you back to your previous refresh rate.

I've got a Gateway 2000 15-16" from 1995 monitor that specifically states on the label on the back 50/60 Hz :(

Back