• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need advice from hosting experts please!

Dark Matter

Hey! :)

I have a situation here that i would like to share with you all. I am 14 years old (soon 15) and very mature for my age, but because of my age i am so limited to loads of things money wise! Me and my girlfriend both have knowledge of HTML, PHP and CSS and have some pretty good design skills, we are capable of building professional website and have plans for a new site. This new site will be were the users are the content... so basically profile pages, images, forums ect. It will be a modern design and we hope to build quite a large site that will attract many members, yes i know it's hard to build traffic.

But right i will get to the point! because of our age can we get a decent host that will provide hosting for us? we will be needing loads of space and bandwidth and are willing to pay for it. would a dedicated server be a better choice ? we would like to make money from the site to help pay for server ages but because of our age can we charge people for say.... a premium membership on the site or donations ect... can we do this cos of our age? i know companies like paypal you need to be over 18 to have a account and would this then class us as a business because we are collecting money from people to help pay?

this site is something we would love to do and provide to be but our age is limited us i want to know if any one can provide me any information about all of this and help me out.

Thanks very much

Aaron Costello

Last edited:
I doubt you would have problem finding someone who would be able to host you as long as you can pay them.

However, I don't think you would be able to collect money on the Internet when you are only 14-15 (legally, that is).

As far as Paypal goes ask your parents if they can create an account for you.
Hosting that would depend on the type of site and volume. Start with a small hosting plan to design and build site. As it grows go to vps and work your way to dedicated. You can find a host easy as long as you can pay. PM me if you need some help or have any questions.

Dedicated servers would be hard to buy from datacenters at your age, shared hosting accounts would not be to hard.
Your need your perents to help you sign up for a few things though, like paypal

I have a situation here that i would like to share with you all. I am 14 years old (soon 15) and very mature for my age, but because of my age i am so limited to loads of things money wise! Me and my girlfriend both have knowledge of HTML, PHP and CSS and have some pretty good design skills, we are capable of building professional website and have plans for a new site. This new site will be were the users are the content... so basically profile pages, images, forums ect. It will be a modern design and we hope to build quite a large site that will attract many members, yes i know it's hard to build traffic.

But right i will get to the point! because of our age can we get a decent host that will provide hosting for us? we will be needing loads of space and bandwidth and are willing to pay for it. would a dedicated server be a better choice ? we would like to make money from the site to help pay for server ages but because of our age can we charge people for say.... a premium membership on the site or donations ect... can we do this cos of our age? i know companies like paypal you need to be over 18 to have a account and would this then class us as a business because we are collecting money from people to help pay?

this site is something we would love to do and provide to be but our age is limited us i want to know if any one can provide me any information about all of this and help me out.

Thanks very much

Aaron Costello

A nerdy girlfriend? Sweet! :)

Regarding payments and contracts, you have two options here:
1) Become emancipated (basically entails a judge ruling you are fit to posses, for all intents and purposes, all rights and privileges granted to a person who is the age of majority).
2) Have a parent or other legal guardian open the PayPal account in his or her name.

Option 2 is definitely easier - and cheaper! But, emancipation may not be out of the question. Lookup whateverlife.com - the site's proprietor, Ashley (can't remember her last name) became emancipated just recently, at the age of 17.

Just wanted to let you know, Aaron.... The hosting industry is fast paced, and it can be intense. You have to earn every penny you make, and its not easy until your business gets fully established and well-known. You might even need to push away your friends sometimes just to get stuff done.

Good luck though, I think its cool that more young people are interested in this stuff.

Been watching this thread Aaron, have you had any help yet (hosts, parents, dog, etc.)?

Catch me at the right time and I'm not always the grumpy one as my profile says :)

Get back into your thread and talk to us.

Thanks very much

Aaron Costello

Aaron,

Where do I even beginning? I admire your vision, especially at such a young age. I'm some what envy that you have the chance to learn and have the ability and willingness to take risks.

My advice for you is to start with a business plan, and also a financial plan. Have all these plan out, and vividly show how you are going to make progress from point A to B. As for the financial plan, it will help you earn money as an investment or donations from a 3rd party.

Hosting companies have bills to pay, power, space, water, bandwidth, etc. Therefore, to look for a NET 30, or even 60 on a single dedicated server will be tough. Money is your limitation right now, but support and man power as well. Go with a dedicated server company that is willing to help out out on the side, help get you going until you're both on your feet. Which in your case, I'm sure it will be very soon since you have your lady friend to help you out.

Here's an idea for you, go with a hosting company that doesn't do anything else but dedicated servers. This way, you can ask them to refer any shared hosting/reseller/design work to you. This way, it does not interfere with their business model, and also help their clients grow as well.

Again, it's not your age, it's anything and everyone's issue. Capital to start a business. You could be needing $200 to start, but for an pre-mature 18 year old, could be $2,000.

Good luck with everyting.

TiMiHosting is your friend in hosting.

timi that's a bit patronising don't you think, especially since you as a
hosting company that doesn't do anything else but dedicated servers
didn't offer one :)

Aaron I think is quite capable of knowing those basics you pointed out although they would have no impact due to his limitations on the financial side of things.

Working 'with' a company requires more than just a donation in this case, a bit of dialog and being prepared to stick your neck on the block is however required.

Your idea of a dedi only company referring shared etc. work is a slim idea as a dedi company should get a very small percentage of that type of enquiry.

TiMiHosting is your friend in hosting.
that bit just about had me in stitches as again you made a null offer and self promoted, Aaron needs a bit more commitement than that.

Hopefully he will get back to us and we can help, one way or another, but since the origional post there has been no return posts, so lets leave it and see :)

timi that's a bit patronising don't you think, especially since you as a didn't offer one :)

Aaron I think is quite capable of knowing those basics you pointed out although they would have no impact due to his limitations on the financial side of things.

Working 'with' a company requires more than just a donation in this case, a bit of dialog and being prepared to stick your neck on the block is however required.

Your idea of a dedi only company referring shared etc. work is a slim idea as a dedi company should get a very small percentage of that type of enquiry.

that bit just about had me in stitches as again you made a null offer and self promoted, Aaron needs a bit more commitement than that.

Hopefully he will get back to us and we can help, one way or another, but since the origional post there has been no return posts, so lets leave it and see :)

Don't be fool, there are plenty out there, mate or friend, that does mainly just dedicated. Thank you for your kind attention, but none of the less, would be more than happy to earn any type of kind business. Don't hate the playa, hate the game mate, or friend :)

self promoting is against the rules in threads like this, Decker dont hate anyone and hes just pointing out the rules....

Last edited:
Don't hate the playa
are you serious, stop watching TV so much, no one really uses that term.

Aaron came across to us all as very clued up on what and why, and you were very patronising, so I for one would not like to see him and his friend steered wrong.

Thanks internalx for pointing out the reason again that I did comment on this as I can't stand self satisfied posts with nothing at the back of them.

I won't provide a server, as it's over what is required really, but throw the guantlet down to timihosting that I will provide the resources required to get Aaron up and running including merchant services.

Now do you want to still be 'the playa' timihosting?

Sometimes, some come along that deserve help and someone has to, as I stated, stick their neck out (sometimes it gets chopped off but if your not prepared to try don't comment).

Hey!

WOW! thanks for all the replies! You lot have been very very helpful. thanks very much :)

We both (me and my girlfriend) have been currently designing a new website for my mums work... there site sucks big time! but still making sure this project we want to do wont fail. Last week we gave out 240 surveys to students in our school asking them loads of questions like what operating system they use, what browser they use, what attracts them to a site ect to give us more information about what people our age would like! but we would like to include older audience also so we will get to that sometime we might make a online survey to do, not sure yet though.

Sorry for no reply resonantly i complete forgot :p

Thanks very much for replies. I will keep you all updated if you wish and decide what we would like in hosting :)

Hey!

WOW! thanks for all the replies! You lot have been very very helpful. thanks very much :)

We both (me and my girlfriend) have been currently designing a new website for my mums work... there site sucks big time! but still making sure this project we want to do wont fail. Last week we gave out 240 surveys to students in our school asking them loads of questions like what operating system they use, what browser they use, what attracts them to a site ect to give us more information about what people our age would like! but we would like to include older audience also so we will get to that sometime we might make a online survey to do, not sure yet though.

Sorry for no reply resonantly i complete forgot :p

Thanks very much for replies. I will keep you all updated if you wish and decide what we would like in hosting :)

Good job. A lot of new companies always/ or most of the time ignore doing market studies. I'm sure if you put those statistics on paper of the 240 surveys you did, oh boy, the opportunities are limitless... Please keep me updated as I am very interested on what you've got going.

include older audience

You just lost my vote oldman2

Kidding, glad you came back to the thread Aaron.

Are you angling for hosting to do your survey online :fangel:

I'm sticking by my promise (earlier in thread when it got heated), and you can have an account no strings for this and other research into where you might want to go with it.

PS that must have been some night out Nibbler had going by the avatar!!

Last edited:
i currently have a free host thats hosting a site we are creating for a friend.... sucks on IE thoough, doesn't show anything and opera is the same, but seems firefox and safari show it how it was set to look.

i currently have a free host thats hosting a site we are creating for a friend.... sucks on IE thoough, doesn't show anything and opera is the same, but seems firefox and safari show it how it was set to look.

Don't think that's the host, might be site sucks ?

Give links we can help :)

we are hosting with kwix-host www.cizvix.com/newsite.php this is not our site it's a friends which are helping make. we might need to make separate CSS files so it displays in IE ok. so far works in firefox and safari fine.

anyway im coming of the the subject abit here. so i will keep you lot updated with how this project is :)

Last edited:
Back