• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need Good Webhost

forget I opened the thread, lol

Don't worry Logan. Another even greater idea I'm sure will come along.

The thing with file hosting is that so many people do it nowadays that really - what are you going to offer that would be a compelling reason to use your service instead? Obviously it's possible to support it with advertising, since these file hosts would be broke otherwise and cease to exist. If you wanted to succeed as a file host you would have to pick and target a specific niche of files that you wanted to host for people, and branch out from there later.

I see that you really were trying to help others solve a problem and got shot down, and I hope you wont give up on helping others entirely.

My file host will give out direct links, which only few do. That might make mine preferred over others. Ugh... forget it. If someone will offer me hosting I will open the site... but atm i got no hosing.

My file host will give out direct links, which only few do.

That's even worse as you then have to go through and try to lock your content down to prevent people from hotlinking the downloads and causing bandwidth theft. I would allow somebody to have a free account for file hosting, but it would have to be justified and not illegal. ex/ open source projects, linux distro mirror, etc. Judging by your responses and overall ignorance, I just do not feel that's the case here.

C. (Edit) Ask Seraphim, because on case by case basis he says he's not afraid of a little bandwidth.

I appreciate the recommendation, but in this case I think I would have to decline.

When it comes to sites such as blogs and forums, there is enough page load and reload activity in the course of users browsing and interacting to cover the costs of bandwidth. I'll allow some of these to exceed their originally specified bandwidth assuming it isn't causing a CPU load issue, as these sites earn enough in their ad revenue to cover the extra bandwidth.

Something like a file host or image host, the odds are that there will be a lot of bandwidth consumed for very little revenue-generating traffic seen by the advertising. For instance a site that was primarily an image gallery was known to consume in excess of 500GB of bandwidth for a mere 700MB of content, but only ever made enough ad revenue to cover maybe 20GB worth of that bandwidth it used.

It just plain is not cost effective to host a project like that for free because it will consume resources that it does not even come close to earning back money for. On a paid plan maybe if the content was legit, or if a host was willing to sponsor it using a personal machine or something then perhaps. But under normal business circumstances, finding something like this is very unlikely.

Back