• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Need New Connection..

most cable providers are switching over to DHCP from static IP addressing. And cable modems are extremely secure in newer models built to the DOCSIS standard, which uses heavy DES encryption methods. If built to the DOCSIS standard, it's no less vunerable than ADSL. So long as you don't have printer and file sharing enabled without a decent firewall (or a router and bind the internal LAN to a non-routable protocol like NetBEUI), you shouldn't have much of a problem. And that really can be said for most DSL technologies and cable broadband.

That said, it's pointless to make claims as to which is the better service. In my area, cable is the better value by far. In other areas, DSL is a lot better. If you have friends with broadband access, ask them what they think of their respective services. And also, see what you can get. If you're willing to shell out a bit more, DSL will probably give you the best service w/o an upload cap

Originally posted by Rodie
If you're willing to shell out a bit more, DSL will probably give you the best service w/o an upload cap
Although this may be true for most neighbourhoods, it isn't for mine. I can reach 400kb/s on a $40 cable service. Meanwhile, a $40 DSL service offers a max of 150kb/s and $100 DSL offers a max of 280kb/s. Then again, DSL's speed is probably more consistent.

I'll be getting cable..its 10 bucks cheaper then Cable and almost no one has it in my area. Those that do have it have nothing but high regards. Also, does anyone know if with Optimum Online I'll have to buy my own cable modem..how much would it be?

This is how I'm guessing it'll be so far..

Cable Modem - ??
Installation - 299
Monthly - 33

Here in Argentina:

Dialup:
Monthly Fees - $9.95/Month
Phone Bill Fees - $130.00/Month for heavy users (1 Cent/Minute Charge)

Total - $139.95/Monthly

DSL:
Monthly Fees - $84/Month
Phone Bill Fees - ZERO!

Total - $84/Monthly

That is my reason why I would switch to DSL.

Originally posted by Mr. Dogg
Also, does anyone know if with Optimum Online I'll have to buy my own cable modem..how much would it be?
I dunno about how much it really costs, but here, if you damage your cable modem, it's $900 out of your pocket for a replacement. They're probably overcharging us though.

900 dollars? They must have a real proprietery system or something. If your cable provider is DOCSIS complient, you can get one for 100-200 bucks.

Originally posted by Rodie
900 dollars? They must have a real proprietery system or something. If your cable provider is DOCSIS complient, you can get one for 100-200 bucks.
Then either my provider is trying to rip me off or it isn't DOCSIS compliant. I'm guessing that latter though, as my cable company has been offering cable internet since 1995. (Early isn't it?) DOCSIS probably wasn't invented back then.

I used to have a Motorola cable modem too, when I was using cable. There was a spelling mistake printed big and white on it. (The case is black)

Back