• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Netscape Problems

[lhomme]

My site consists of a header file, a footer file and some content sandwitched in between. On each seperate page, the header and footer stay the same and only the content changes. With that in mind:

Why does Netscape render the index page's header and footer differently then the other pages if the included file is the same? (Its not the content because I tried making that section blank.) This problem also occurs in Mozilla.

Just a note: the header file shows the top graphic and the left nav bar. The content is the content and the bottom file ends all the tables.

Differently - how? Different on some pages or different compared to other browsers? :confused:

No one can know without seeing anyway.

The problem is in the way the same code is rendered on different pages in Netscape. The same problem occurs in Mozilla. Here is what I see for the index page:

http://www.acafe.net/pageone.jpg (82k)

And here is what I see for the second page:

http://www.acafe.net/pagetwo.jpg (60k)

The part that changes has the EXACT same code (since its the same included file). I don't know why it looks different from one page to the next. (Its not the code in the index.php page content though, since as a test, I tried replacing all of it with the word: test - its still had the problem.)

Note: The blurriness is caused by compression of the images.

Nice pics, but where's the code? :p

If you are talking about Netscape6 and the pages that are currently up at your site they are not the same. The front page has a full DTD which would get Moz into Strict rendering mode. The articles page has no DTD at all - Quirks mode.

No, Quirks Mode is bad for you in the long run. :p
But if you must, take the URL off and you can have Quirks and still use a correct DTD:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

(I can't look. I'm currently on a minimal setup witth IE4 and Opera 6.)

I do plan on cleaning up the code. I just want to get the site working first ;) . Thanks for the DTD though.

Back