• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net

Off-Site E-mail Address Necessary?

Ashed

For those of you who owns domain names, do you guys rely on an off-site (however you call it) e-mail address in case your server/host goes down or do you just use me@domain.com and don't really care? :confused4

Epgs

NLC Honorary Member
NLC
I use all sorts of e-mails. I have like 3. My personal is a pay account.

Bruce

NLC
I generally use my domain email.

I still have my ISP email and my spam accounts as well though.

CareBear

NLC
NLC
I use both to receive email, but only use my host's smtp server to send email since my isp's seems to be blacklisted every other day.

Robert

NLC
NLC
I use my @bellsouth.net for important stuff (ie. family), I use my robert [@] aboutrob.us for garbage and I use my dslr.net email for other stuff

notnamed

/fws/
NLC
Well, I just noticed today my e-mail was down, but it was only for a few minutes. Otherwise I haven't noticed it down for months. I have to use my ISP's SMTP server, because they block ports 25 and 26 :(

CareBear

NLC
NLC
notnamed said:
Well, I just noticed today my e-mail was down, but it was only for a few minutes. Otherwise I haven't noticed it down for months. I have to use my ISP's SMTP server, because they block ports 25 and 26 :(
Check with your host, mine has 2525 open to allow relaying through their smtp server.

notnamed

/fws/
NLC
No Bruce... my paid host offers it, but my ISP blocks outgoing traffic to ports 25 and 26, so I can't use it.

GibboNet

I redirect my emails from my domains to my free aount on yahoo anyway. just easier to keep everything together in the one account.

trenzterra

NLC
I never use my domain mail, as I don't know how to configure POP3 on it (is there)? So I just use my ISPs one, after all it provides 20MB of space just for email.

LeX

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
NLC
Probably because hotmail was/is more popular?

"HoTMaiL" was all I knew 8 years ago... Yahoo!Mail is the only thing I use now.

notnamed

/fws/
NLC
People use Hotmail because it ties in with your MSN account better. (MSN Messenger I mean.) Yahoo's (at least was) more difficult