• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Paid Hosts That Claim Unlimited Everything

Lynks

Maybe their should be regulations set, to prevent the harm to consumers. How can a company claim to have unlimited webspace. Most people do not read the TOS, (I think they extend the TOS on purpose so people cannot be bothered reading it) therefore do not know what they have got themeselves into.

Why claim unlimited?, simnply because new people will think great unlimited webspace!, geesh company A only offers 20mb's and is $10 a month. Company B offers "UNLIMITED" space and is $5 a month sheesh I would be stupid if a choose the first.

Us "Oldies" no about these constant tricks and schemes to attract the consumer. Most of us have been burnt in the process of unlimited.

I would like to know what people think about companies claiming unlimited everything!, and I leave you with this question (Wheres my unlimited harddrive)

Lynks

I use a hosting company that claime to offer unlimited disk space, transfer and e-mails. I have used the company for about two years and I so far they have given me the disk space and transfer I wanted.

good question Lynks

Claiming unlimited?
This is ONE reason why it makes it SO competitive in the hosting industry today. OF COURSE, if people are unaware of what that word unlimited really means, of course they are going to go with the host that offers the most for the cheapest price. You see it in every forum Ive ever posted at..within a certain amount of time, the poor client is back posting wondering why their account got deleted when they signed up for unlimited space or bandwidth!
I think the rate of people logging online, just continues to climb so therefore, it is a constant stream of newbies that think they are getting everything dirt cheap.
Its just a cheap marketing trick, but the companies continue to do it. Obviously there are NOT regulations in place! It is similar to those sites/hosts you see that offer the "one day deal DEADLINE" and then you discover the sale never ends!

well

i guess unlimited also means
they don't really pressure you by making you see how much space is left

besides
if you read the TOS and policy
you will not really use up that much space
right?

Originally posted by DFG
I use a hosting company that claime to offer unlimited disk space, transfer and e-mails. I have used the company for about two years and I so far they have given me the disk space and transfer I wanted.

Of course, every so-called unlimited provider has a certain threshold with which they'll allow their customers. You probably haven't gone beyond that yet.

I hate to tell you all this, but i have a site up with an unlimited space provider, but the space i use is just for my personal files, and i have used about 50gig (my hard drive is not big enough). I have had that much stuff on there for about 4 years and i keep on adding more and more stuff to it and the are not doing anything about so, some of the providers must actually be true to their word.

Re: good question Lynks

Originally posted by Martie
Obviously there are NOT regulations in place! It is similar to those sites/hosts you see that offer the "one day deal DEADLINE" and then you discover the sale never ends!

As you know Martie, this annoys the <beep> outta me too. I don't know what state/country would allow this, but when I had a business in CT, *and* when I worked for a company in MA, we had to adhere to strict policies regarding 'sales' and 'saving $x off'. The terms were that these could *only* be offered max. 30 days in a row, and for less than 1/2 of the year total, otherwise it was deemed to *not* be a sale, and was misleading advertising.

We had to keep records regarding it, and I can't understand why false claims and these types of offers are *not* illegal in this case.

I know, I've mentioned this before, but it irks me.

why?

mostly because it's hard to catch someone on the internet for doing that. and it's hard to prove. if someone were to try and bust all the people doing it, they would catch one site, and ten others would pop up doing the same thing. that, and who should regulate it? is it in the jursidiction of the place where the person lives, or is it based on where the server resides? the sales aren't occuring where they live. but the business is based there. internet laws are few and far between. best bet is to just to watch out for yourself, and try to not get screwed over too bad.

Back