• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Personal or Professional?

Personal or Professional?

• Personal, and straight to the point...

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • Professional.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Doesn't really matter to me as long as they offer great services.

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Stan

When you go out looking for a web host, or when you are talking to your web host, which do you prefer?

Do you like your host to talk to you in a straight forward, personal manner or a more professional tone?

I personally prefer a host to talk to me in a personal manner. It makes me feel more comfortable with them and i know they are not trying to lie to me.
If my site is down, i don't want to hear some corporate wanna-be telling me 'we are currently experiencing issues with server a, all will be resolved as soon as possible', i want to know what the problem is, what caused it and when/how it's going to be fixed.
This is only an example.

How about you?

A business has to keep a professional facade to it. That does not mean you cannot take a personal approach by giving clients individual attention without the canned responses.

But this also does not mean you can use profane language :)

I like services who provide a personal approach. Makes me feel important to them rather than just another number.

I prefer a host who uses simple explanations, doesn't assume I should know everything he/she does and doesn't treat me as ignorant if I ask questions. They can be professional or personal so long as they meet the above requirements.

Professional all the way. I do not want to be talked down to. We picked our provider this way. We came up with a short list of host based on our needs. We watched a bunch of forums that these hosts post in. We watched how they treated other hosts, other posters, new people ect... We were quite shocked, (but now ever so happy) on how unprofessional some host acted towards them when a negative situation arose. We thought, is this going to happen to us if we have a problem ? Well as luck would have it, 1 and I mean 1 never took part in any topic that was bashing, giving their 2 cents ect... We picked them, And they have turned out to be the best thing we have came accross in 7 years.

Professional all the way

I prefer the personal approach. in this way i (as a customer) won't feel that I am important as a customer and at the same time won't have impression that they're just interested in my money. also, personal approach gives me also an assurance that my issue or inquiry is attended.

I personally prefer the personal approach... I like the feeling I get when being treated like an actual person and not just a randomly assigned customer number.

And with that said, that is how I run my business... I get compliments all the time because we are professional yet with a personal twist...

We try to provide a professional experience for those that treat us professionally... I hope that comes across right. If someone is casual with me, and I feel comfortable speaking with them, I'll be more personal. When dealing with customers, I don't use profane language, and always maintain a good level of professionalism, regardless of whether I'm being casual or not.

That's just the type of person I am though. I give straight forward responses with no stupid responses, and I'm as honest and professional as possible. Treating everyone with respect is easier than most Americans will make it seem :)

I prefer a bit of both.

Im a friendly guy, and talk to people in a friendly respectful manner, until i have reson not to.
Altho everyone has their bad days :p

I can be blunt as hell, and from someone im purchasing services from, i like the same back.
If i ask whats going on, i expect to be told the truth, no matter how "bad" it is.

However i still expect a certian ammount of professionalism.
Just because im on "friendly terms" with someone, doesnt mean they can ignore my emails support emails for 3 days and then get back to me with somthing like "hehe sorry man, i was on the piss for the last few days getting some pussy". If somthing needs to be done, and im paying for your services, then i expect a resonable ammount of help.
Obviously that help depends on what i pay, but the more somthing cost, the better the service should be.

Summary:
Talk friendly.
Service Professional.

I remember one time, when i was hosting at SiteGround, when i was talking to their live support, it was scripted, and made me feel uncomfortable.

You know that, "Hi Mr Jordan, How can i help you". "Okay no problem, sir." that i don't like. Worst thing is, i hate having to leave live chat, because i always think, hmm... they aren't talking no more, shall i just leave, or say something like bye.

So i vote personal. but obviously not saying stuff like "oh well the server is f**ked up big style." but i wouldn't be bothered by it. This is one thing Free hosting offers, personal touch. Well except one free host i've seen, they actually do tell you to f-off if you don't like it, or they will ban/delete you if they don't like you.

Last edited:
It's great to see so many different opinions!
I agree though, personal is always best for me :) then i don't have to feel fake when i am talking to my clients

We try to provide a professional experience for those that treat us professionally... I hope that comes across right. If someone is casual with me, and I feel comfortable speaking with them, I'll be more personal. When dealing with customers, I don't use profane language, and always maintain a good level of professionalism, regardless of whether I'm being casual or not.

That's just the type of person I am though. I give straight forward responses with no stupid responses, and I'm as honest and professional as possible. Treating everyone with respect is easier than most Americans will make it seem :)

I am similar in that aspect as well. I like to be a mixture of professional and personal at the same time in the beginning, and as I get to know the client and interact with the client, then I will either stay the same, or be more professional/personal with that client. It all varies per client, but I do know that for me, I like to get the personal aspect from a webhost as well, with a tad of professionalism, so I know I am not just another number putting food in their stomachs, but that I am somebody that they care about and want them to be satisfied with what they have received thus far from the company.

Personally, I do both. I'm professional when talking in live support/tickets to people about sales, but when they are a customer, I take the time to get to know their needs, what they use their hosting for and address them by their name, use Hi! [name] Hey! [name] and how are you [name], instead of most hosts which will just use Hello Sir. It makes people feel more comfortable and happy within their hosting. :)

Personal and straight to the point = professional?

Just don't go sharing lolz with your client.

IDK, I like a personal approach, I also started using personal approach at my free host, Everyone loves the layed back system, I guess some people may view our ---- and be like ZOMG im not going to them, Eh.. Oh well cant please everyone :D

Personal. Currently TG is a small company, so we are able to attend to every customer's needs. We have a good staff to customer ratio, and we would like to keep it that way.

Being a little of both is great, because the client feels like he isn't always being ignored, and like you guys said, just another number.

Back