• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Please help determine hosting needs - what a mess...

dsimms

I sign up with JaguarPC, their hosting packages look promising.
Unlimited this, that, etc...24 hr support, so it all looked very positive...

So about 3 months go by with no issues...

I am on the $4.95 plan...

All of a sudden, my account is suspended...

I got an email saying I was using too much resources,
and boom, my account is suspended, they would not
even turn my account back on so we could try to resolve the issue,
nor did they attempt to resolve the issue, or even fix the issue....

Now my $4.95 plan is costing me $20/mo...

So with all this data/websites that I have; I can not possibly download all of
this with my slow data plan that I have, so I signed up for another
small account to have them copy backup files over seeing they offer unlimited
disk space, and all; so I make the request..now I am getting the 3rd degree on why
I want to copy the files to another account because they are 2g each; maybe
because they said they would in a previous ticket before I got the new account...

Now I went from $4.95/mo to $29/mo

and I am not making a penny....

I just dont get these hosting compaines...

They promise you the moon, then you end up shelling much more just to stay online
with nothing to show for except for less money in my pocket now....

I am sure they don't want to lose you as a customer. You might want to contact their Customer Service manager and explain that you've been happy with them so far, but it looks like your needs are not being met by the $4.95 plan. Explain what your needs are (and remember that nothing in shared web hosting is truly unlimited). Chances are that they will want to keep you happy and will work with you to find the best solution with the products/services that they offer. You might be better suited with a managed VPS.

Unlimited this, that, etc...24 hr support, so it all looked very positive...

There's the problem right there. There's no such thing as "unlimited" disk space or bandwidth. Do you have an "unlimited" space hard drive in your computer at home? They don't exist for servers either.

You need to figure out how much disk space and bandwidth you realistically need, and purchase a plan accordingly, hopefully from a company with realistic plans that doesn't oversell.

What kind of files are you uploading that are 2GB each? Those are incredibly large files for shared hosting, and it sounds like you might be using the account for storage, backup, etc. Almost every web hosting company does not allow you to use their accounts for large file storage. If you have tons of these 2GB files, it might be time to go with a VPS instead.

What kind of site is being hosted?

How much space is being used?

How much bandwidth is consumed?

About how many unique visits a day are you seeing?

These are questions that you should try to answer, since those are probably the reason why your account got suspended.

Without knowing roughly what your site needs, it's not possible for any hosts here to reasonably offer alternatives or some insight on why your account got suspended in the first place.

Just do keep in mind that unlimited is nothing more than a marketting tactic, in reality there is no such thing. Especially not for that price, they always have little tricks in their terms of service to keep people from ever putting the unlimited to the test. Most hosts that sell finite-resource hosting don't need those cheap tricks, what you pay for is what you get.

Last edited:
It sounds like you need a reliable and honest host, first and foremost.

Beyond that, I think it's a good idea to stay on top of exactly how many resources you'll be using, especially in terms of bandwidth and CPU usage. You can tell this to a prospective host before signing up, to make sure everyone is on the same page and there will not be any surprised further down the road.

If your website is resources intensive (cpu ,memory, bandwidth etc.) then indeed it will create problem on shared server.
It's better to go with cloud vps as it is less expensive than dedicated server. You will get there much more resources as compare to shared hosting and you will not experience service interruption just because of resources usage.

Yup, I agree with the post above, you can start with a shared account, from thenon you decide if you wanted to upgrade your account or stay using the shared hosting account.

Back