• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Please Read Companies TOS

ExileHosting

Hello all,

Over the past few days i have been on many hosting forum sites just like this and i have seen numerus problems reported about webhosts scamming them off or suspending a clients account for no apparent reason, and all the webhost replies with is, Check The Terms Of Service.

I think this is a very important point, and really needs to be expressed, PLEASE COULD ALL OF THOSE LOOKING FOR HOSTING READ COMPANIES TOS, IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT ASK FOR IT. I can guarantee that at least 75% of all accounts terminated/suspended are simply because the client didnt read the TOS and violated one of the rules.

Like i said above, this point is important and really needs to be expressed so please "requestee's" check those TOS before ordering!!!

Many Thanks
ExileHosting
Paid Hosting Department

I would also recommend actually copying the TOS and saving it somewhere, a screenshot would be a good example.

Yes i wouldnt copy to a notepad, etc. however screenshots are a good idea, also another good idea, have the company themselves either mail you or fax you a copy of there policys, terms etc. This way you know there organized.

However the fact that most companies have reserved the right to change a policy whenever they want without notifying there clients, this really wont help much :(.

But that TOS that they read before they order by law should be the one that they have to abide by, either that or they get notified of the changes by the webhost!!!

ExileHosting said:
But that TOS that they read before they order by law should be the one that they have to abide by, either that or they get notified of the changes by the webhost!!!

Well, it is really up to the client to keep themselves updated with the TOS.
If a web host, such as myself, reserve the right to Modify a TOS without prior notification, then the wise thing for the client to do is view the TOS at least once a week to make sure they are updated.

There's too many laws surrounding current policies etc that you can't keep up with them, and as for my explanation of the host letting them know, they can either do that or try and make sure there clients look at it in some way!!!

Actually suspended our first client in the past 6 months this morning due to over 150,000 spam emails being sent out on our server. We have banned the account and we do not offer a refund.

But it is clearly in our TOS that we do not allow spamming and it is cause for suspension.

Now ecsportal, im not sure if your agree with this, however due to this client, burning not only one of us, but two, I personally would like it if you would post his account name, to warn people if he attempts to purchase from someone else.

Just my feelings as i have been banned on these forums from him, and you had to deal with something like this, i hate to see what happens to the next provider :(

Well just to warn everyone, I won't post his name due to our privacy policy but I will say the user who signed up and lied to me numerous times about not sending spam etc...I unsuspended his account to give him the benefit of the doubt and setup logging on his account and he is using a bulk mailer that is connecting to our SMTP server. It isn't anything in his account, so it is hard to detect except for the 2600 Emails I have gotten in less than 24 hours that are rejections coming back to our overflow boxes. His domains are:
wysiwyg-id.co.uk
wysiwyg-it.co.uk
wysiwyg-it.com
highclassglass.co.uk

Be weary as he will provide you with all of his information and tell you to call him if there are any problems etc etc.

He has earned a permanent ban from us due to violation of our spam policy and misuse of services provided. Therefore if he comes here, a heads up. We are not processing a refund due to this. As per, our TOS.
http://www.ecsportal.com/tos.html

Well guys just a hint, look for yabb folder in cgi folder , i had a user which had admin.pl in yabb which was sending 1k emails per hour :). Good thing i caught it within 2 hrs and instead of asking him the reason and suspending i just changed the file permission and strange thing is he never complained.

So if you find issues with a client look at which file is causing it and change its permissions to 000 and user to root so he/she cannot touch or use that file, and wait for the user himself respond instead of trying to convince the user that they were at fault, if no one contacts and moves away you know they knew what they were doing.

Spammers = Bitches = Should be hanged.

Cheers.

Unfair and unlawful post ecsportal

this is a message for ecsportal.

Your post was not only wrong but listing the domain names was also a way of reducing the potential business of the company.

The company owner is my boss and he works hard, every day for his clients, his potential clients and for himself.

This, as I'm sure you can imagine will leave him NO time whatsoever to "spam" people. If you had a problem with the spam then why did you not call him and explain your situation? posting the domain names is not something that should be phase one or two of getting annoyed but left until no other possibility is available.

I expect you to remove the domain names from your post as all you have done is said whats happened but you havent got any proof as such yet.

I urge you to seriously think about the law implications as what you are doing is potentially reducing possible new clients.
If you can find proof then that is when you can start posting names of domains etc. not now though.

I expect a quick response from you.

Well just to warn everyone, I won't post his name due to our privacy policy but I will say the user who signed up and lied to me numerous times about not sending spam etc...I unsuspended his account to give him the benefit of the doubt and setup logging on his account and he is using a bulk mailer that is connecting to our SMTP server. It isn't anything in his account, so it is hard to detect except for the 2600 Emails I have gotten in less than 24 hours that are rejections coming back to our overflow boxes. His domains are:
wysiwyg-id.co.uk
wysiwyg-it.co.uk
wysiwyg-it.com
highclassglass.co.uk

Be weary as he will provide you with all of his information and tell you to call him if there are any problems etc etc.

He has earned a permanent ban from us due to violation of our spam policy and misuse of services provided. Therefore if he comes here, a heads up. We are not processing a refund due to this. As per, our TOS.
http://www.ecsportal.com/tos.html

Do you realize what you've done? You said "I won't post his name due to our privacy policy" but then you gave out his domains and any person could look up that person's name, address, phone number etc etc.

That's pretty pathetic of you really - yes you defied your own policy.

I'd suggest you request your post removed by a moderator.

yeh you are correct anyone can look up information about a copmany but slaggin off a company is not legal and be warned as potentially he could take you to court seeinga s though you have provided no proof.

Heh -- Funny how people dig up old posts.

I didn't defy my policy I stated what was fact and provided a warning to other web hosts. As I no longer own ECSPortal I won't comment on this much. What I will say is that I had and still have 3 days worth of logs and spam emails sent by him. I have all of the emails exchanged between him and I and I also warned him 3 times prior to terminating his account. Not sure why I still have all of this...but it looks like his folder was never removed so files are all still there.

On the other side of this. You can lookup spammer domain names all day long every day and you can whois them all. Most of them have real information. When you submit your information into Internic and do not make it private, you are therefore making it public. As to how I broke a law or mentioned something that wasn't already public record? Please entertain me :) Tell me.

As far as I am concerned he broke our terms of service which stated:
Users may not send unsolicited e-mail messages, including, without limitation, bulk commercial advertising or informational announcements ('spam') in a way that could be reasonably expected to adversely impact the ECSPortal Network, including, without limitation, using an e-mail account on ECSPortal' network to send spam or bulk e-mail, or using the service of another provider to send spam or to promote a site hosted on or connected to the ECSPortal Network. In addition, Users may not use the ECSPortal Network in order to (a) send e-mail messages which are excessive and/ or intended to harass or annoy others, (b) continue to send e-mail messages to a recipient that has indicated that he/she does not wish to receive them, (c) send e-mail with forged TCP/IP packet header information, (d) send malicious e-mail, including, without limitation, 'mailbombing', (e) send or receive e-mail messages in a manner that violates the use policies of any other internet service provider, or (f) use an e-mail box exclusively as a storage space for data (g) Offering for sale or soliciting e-mail lists for the purposes of bulk e-mail.

b. Unsolicited advertising via email and/or 'Spamming' is a violation of this agreement. Such prohibited conduct subjects Customer to immediate cessation of service as provided herein and the termination of this agreement without notice. ECSPortal reserves the right to report such illegal activities to any and all regulatory, administrative and/or governmental authorities for appropriate prosecution.

And!

c. Using a non-existing email return address on a commercial solicitation, spamming (sending unsolicited advertising to numerous email addresses or newsgroups and/or generating a significantly higher volume of outgoing email than a normal user), trolling (posting outrageous messages to generate numerous responses, mailbombing (sending multiple messages without significant new content to the same user), subscribing someone else to a mailing list without that person's permission, cross-posting articles to an excessive number of newsgroups, or attempting without authorization to enter into a secured computer system. ECSPortal reserves the right to determine what is Net abuse.
He agreed to our TOS and that statement upon signing up. As far as I am concerned he was given 3 favors and 3 chances to stop.

Hurting the reputation of ECSPortal and how I treated my customers? It doesn't and if it does, I am sorry people feel that way. Not a single user of ours ever had anything to worry about as long as they abided by our TOS. I would do it to any spammer that lies to me and other webhosts about what they are doing when we have logs showing otherwise. If he is worried about it, don't spam and he shouldn't have these issues.

My customers do not deserve to have their service degraded due to someone wanting to abuse services at any cost. The ECSPortal policy on spam has always been strictly forbidden.

As for the owner of those domains, if he wishes to follow up with this he can contact me here or via email and I will put him in direct contact with our attorney. We have no problem with moving forward if he wishes. I just hope he can explain the 1900+ email addresses we parsed from the logs. I can say that being attacked on a public forum for something that we can provide proof of 2 months later is not the best way bring positive publicity towards "your boss".

Last edited:
Hello all,

Over the past few days i have been on many hosting forum sites just like this and i have seen numerus problems reported about webhosts scamming them off or suspending a clients account for no apparent reason, and all the webhost replies with is, Check The Terms Of Service.

I think this is a very important point, and really needs to be expressed, PLEASE COULD ALL OF THOSE LOOKING FOR HOSTING READ COMPANIES TOS, IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT ASK FOR IT. I can guarantee that at least 75% of all accounts terminated/suspended are simply because the client didnt read the TOS and violated one of the rules.

Like i said above, this point is important and really needs to be expressed so please "requestee's" check those TOS before ordering!!!

Many Thanks
ExileHosting
Paid Hosting Department
Yes no and mabye

Firstly Yes you should read the tos even more so when there offering massive amounts of diskspace
Next No They do not suspend the accounts fairly most of the time they claim something not ture just becuse you used to much harddisk for them to handle
3rd Mabye it is a good idea to not be so greedyand pick a host for ONLY what you need and pay that bit more
:p
theres my input

In most things I agree totaly with this thread Please read there tos better yet dont go with a hole hdd for 20$ P/M ;)

I would also recommend actually copying the TOS and saving it somewhere, a screenshot would be a good example.

Thats not to good. Because as some companies say they can change the TOS at anytime they want. After which they inform their customers of the TOS change.

Back