• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Rep Idea..

Well I agree with you there colin.. people are getting really rep angry/happy lately (and iv been gone for a month haha..) either people giving reps for no reason (even positive) just hating someone so they give negative every chance they can...

its just an system to show how others feel without going off topic to post an response.. So people need to relax and just act like its not there.. Its not an look I got X amount of coloured bars, and you dont.. Theres no medal so people need to do what they came here to do, either be an community, sell there services, look for a service to buy... Not be hear to damage the community!

I agree with Colin. Rep, whether - or + mean absolutely nothing and should mean nothing.

Peo,

Question for you...

You mention that any abuse for rep system will result in the loss of using "-" I have a few questions to clarify my actions using the system...

Please tell me if any of these will result in a loss of rep ability:

1) Negative Rep for replying to an thread (sales offers) after seven days of no answer from OP or other company.

2) Positive Rep for someone saying positive things about either myself or an comment I make in a forum.

3) Positive Rep for helping an member in this community.

4) Negative Rep for going over board, being rude, not offering what was asked (posting under the requests by OP).

These are typically the 4 things I use to if going to rep someone... If these are going to be not allowed, let me know and then ha ha I will try not to do this.

Also note I don't just troll the board for people doing the above, its only if I stumble upon it well viewing a board, (typically the top 5 threads in a section).

Well, the intent of the rep system is number 3) and 4). The other two examples you mention are in my opinion not. I wouldn't categorize those as abuse of the system though, atleast not the way you describe it.

Okay good.. I typically use for 3/4 but there is the odd time when something is just worth the rep for 1/2..

Thanks for clearing that up :)

A better idea would be if the system gave you a -1 rep everytime you give someone else one. I tried to find the hack that DP has in place, but apparently it was coded inhouse.

Thats mean. I try to give positive rep. However I rarely give negitive rep. When its realy deserved.

Thats mean. I try to give positive rep. However I rarely give negitive rep. When its realy deserved.
It would have really only affected those who abuse the -rep option ;) Kinda makes people think twice before firing off their anonymous hate messages.

instead of reputation why don't you use Warn 0%-100 Mods and report posts mods? if your urge to warn until banned.

Don't you ever know? someone can sent fake reputation without real reason like: ....,retard <<<like what I get here. You know those game online mostly cut it out due to members abuse this system by buying add reputation when those who buy get+++ reps. they start to act evil and abuse others like what happen in here. Can you ever say every reps + - in here are pure? I think not.

when I was here I never ever,flood,flame,double,spam nor anythem. You can check all of my reply I'm rarely post here. But visit here a lot. I'm only reply thread that I only interest.

if you don't believe my action then I request you to gamble on my account by disable reps. and banned me whenever I abuse the rule. and as I read all the rules I didn't see what I'm abuse to or some any of my reply are alike of flame<<if there is prove it.

Last edited:
instead of reputation why don't you use Warn 0%-100 Mods and report posts mods? if your urge to warn until banned.

I honestly believe if we used a system like that, where negative rep was a "warning", most of the members here would be banned.

Thats just the truth. This is a competitive, at times brutal forum. Negative rep flies all the time, most of the time it is undeserved. Thankfully, we have a system in place now to keep those whom abuse the system in place.

And you can also disable rep from your userCP if you so choose.

you gotta be kidding .I acess usercp most time I never see any option about disable reps at all. I didn't ever see this option exist in my usercp more than years a half until now and I didn't found any add button reps to other user also.If people able add reputation there should be the measure icons appear to any of users than open but I didn't any of them than only me.

I said it again I never seen it I check all options in usercp again and again but never seen it. I rub my eyes more than ten times a day. My english aren't that week to find them and my eyes are normal. If it exist I already disable from the start. This system going to get me sick shall I have to be silent member as ever when I was?

Last edited:
I have also looked and I have never seen it under edit options either.
I see
Login & Privacy
Use Invisible Mode
Allow vCard Download

Messaging & Notification
Receive Email
Default Thread Subscription Mode
Private Messaging

Thread Display Options
Visible Post Elements
Thread Display Mode
Number of Posts to Show Per Page
Default Thread Age Cut Off

Date & Time Options
Time Zone
Start of the Week

Miscellaneous Options
Message Editor Interface
Forum Skin

Ok, sorry about that. You need 50 posts in order to disable reputation.

Was thinking that as well, I hope I am not, shouldnt be... but would be nice to know how you can tell so you can learn from it.

We've constantly been asked to do something about the members who abuse the reputation system and I think this idea by Jan is a fair way to do it.

If you have lost your -rep power you will receive a pm from me with some short info.

What constitutes -rep abuse?

That's a good question. I won't go into detailing every instance that could be considered abuse though. Mainly we'll be looking into those who have systematicly gone against the purpose of the reputation system. One example is if a member have given bad reputation to someone and then signed it with another members name. Another example is if someone repeatedly gives the same member bad reputation without anything bad in the posts made by that member. The system is intended for users to -rep really offensive posts, not to -rep a member you don't like.

I know that the system isn't to be taken too seriously, but still I think attacking other members using the reputation system as a tool since it's anonymous should not be ok. We've recieved many complaints about the reputation system and I think it's time we try to do something about the worst problems atleast.

Sounds Great, thanks again Peo,

And keagle goes stealing my comment haha but i hope you all had a good christmas and I hope you all have a great new year.

Back