• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Sharing an Internet Connection

Dusty

NLC
NLC
What would be the simplest and quickest way to make two computers (one a desktop, one a notebook, both with 56k modems) share the same internet connection (both of them being able to be online at once)?

If you have Windows 98 second edition installed on either machine, the Internet Connection Sharing feature built into it works really well.
I have 4 computers on a peer-to-peer network and all sharing one 56k dial-up connection. For the most part it's flawless except when my kids start downloading a lot of files at one time... Then it really slows things down but that's a bandwidth issue and not a problem with the connection sharing.
My kids have AIM, Netmeeting, IRC, and who knows what else operating on their computers and no proxy problems at all... The actual use is totally transparent and requires no tricky port settings of any type.
As far as I've been able to discover, the client machine sees connection sharing as a regular dial-up connection.
Basically, all you need to set it up is a NIC card in each machine and some CAT 5 cable between them.

i use

i love wingate but can be hard to configure because it always messes my network up when i use it so i switched to winproxy v1.4 and it is great. I love it very easy to setup and is a very small program. Oh and i use a 56k connection too.

um... get a router.. or just get fiber optics, i have fiber optics 3.5 megs a sec line instaled in all rooms, even the bathroom ;)

it was pre installed when i move in

a router wouldnt work with a 56k modem because the momdem doesnt connect to the router or a network card, and for most cases cat5 is sufficient. You are one of the lucky ones wired for the future though.

I have two computers, one laptop, one desktop (errr actually a server), and I'd like to connect them as well. Now, the server only really has a LAN card connection (has serial ports too, as an option), and I have a LAN card for the laptop as well. I have DSL. I have a crossover cable.

I really don't want to connect both computers at the same time to the net, but rather just htm eto each other. DUe to the DSL needed a certain TCIP (that right?) setting, a network guy who was over my house was confused. So maybe he isn't all that good at networks. Neither am I.

Need step by step for the network impaired on how to share info between these computers. I'd like to unplug the DSL, and use the crossover cable to share data, then plug the DSL back into the server to use normally. Just want to be able to share data between the two computers when I neeed to, not all the time.

router

with dsl a rouer is the best, and 56k can use a rouer if you have a ppp account. They are modem routers. Well a router for dsl is great and yeah Mhr0ax i am rewiring my house right now.

To elaborate: The notebook is running WinME and has no NIC card but I can get one, the desktop WinNT 4 and has a NIC card. Both, as I've said, have 56k modems and the connection is a dedicated dial-up with a static IP (if that matters, I have no idea). Since the desktop is being used as server (nothing public, just for me and a few others) I like to leave it connected all the time, but occasionally I want to access something on the internet using the notebook. Currently this means I have to disconnect the desktop and re-dial with the notebook. The notebook doesn't need a permanent connection, this is only on occasion. So, what now would you suggest? Keep in mind that I know very little about networking.

get a card

Get a usb networking card (very easy inexpensive and plug&play) then use a crossover cable (local computer store will have one) then just connect the two devices together with the cable and on the server put the program located here http://www.lanprojekt.cz/winproxy/ . then go to the laptop and open internet explorer and under tool, internet options, then the tab connections, then lan setting. Say use a proxy server. put in http://(name of the server) then port 3128. This is the easiest way. And e-mail me if you have any questions at epgs1@hotmail.com.

an easier way would be to connect the two computers together via network caards and cat5 cable then enable file and print sharing in windows. (start-->settings-->control panel-->networking). Hope this helps.

but

you can't use a straight cat5 cable you need to use a crossover cable if you do not want to use a hub.

Back