• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should we do something about the abuse within the (free) hosting industry ??

Okay. Roger :) And no problem.

I'm slightly confused on what you want doing. From what I understand; Your creating a system/database that hosts can use to scan their servers, which will cross-check with the database of known info used by bad, bad, bad people? :p

Or,

Will it allow the host to scan their servers, with a set checklist, and see if the account's owner has accounts elsewhere, if their domain is hosted elsewhere, and stuff like that?

I'm completely confused now. What's all this about an API key? Why does it need to be so secure? :s

Joe - if you have GTalk, AIM, whatever, could you add me? AIM - keaglerr GTalk: kurtispoole@gmail.com MSN: I know you wont go on it, so don't worry :p If not, no worries. PM'll do.

eh, just PM me when the project gets started and we have something for me to do... it is raining like mad and i can't program when it is raining (the tapping drives me insane).
Chris

The reason I suggested the checks is because I thought you said that people would be adding the abuser info to the db.
BTW Kurt, your not on AIM.

Last edited:
Okay. Roger :) And no problem.

I'm slightly confused on what you want doing. From what I understand; Your creating a system/database that hosts can use to scan their servers, which will cross-check with the database of known info used by bad, bad, bad people? :p

Or,

Will it allow the host to scan their servers, with a set checklist, and see if the account's owner has accounts elsewhere, if their domain is hosted elsewhere, and stuff like that?

I'm completely confused now. What's all this about an API key? Why does it need to be so secure? :s

Joe - if you have GTalk, AIM, whatever, could you add me? AIM - keaglerr GTalk: kurtispoole@gmail.com MSN: I know you wont go on it, so don't worry :p If not, no worries. PM'll do.

The list of things starting with /scripts in my initial post are all hooks in whm to execute certain actions at certain times, some are on account creation or suspension or termination, which is useful for us, because it will allow WHM to send a request to the database everytime someone signs up to tell the database firstly that domain is hosted on another server and or check if its hosted anywhere else, see if it's ever been involved in illegal activity ( haven't sussed that bit yet, but I will ), then when action is taken on the account ( termination or suspension ) the database will be updated ( automatically ) with the reason ....

The reason it needs to be secure is because you're collecting personal data from people about the accounts they have on their server and also personal email addresses, the api key will be used to cipher the data before whm transmits it back to the applications database so that plaintext sensitive information is never transmitted

So, it won't be a site you can sign into yourself, rather a site that you signup at so that whm can use the sites database to make informed decision when accepting new clients, and also help to build the database when taking action on those clients you accept .... so except for the signup form, it doesn't even need to be interactive, just informative and clear .....

The list of things starting with /scripts in my initial post are all hooks in whm to execute certain actions at certain times, some are on account creation or suspension or termination, which is useful for us, because it will allow WHM to send a request to the database everytime someone signs up to tell the database firstly that domain is hosted on another server and or check if its hosted anywhere else, see if it's ever been involved in illegal activity ( haven't sussed that bit yet, but I will ), then when action is taken on the account ( termination or suspension ) the database will be updated ( automatically ) with the reason ....

The reason it needs to be secure is because you're collecting personal data from people about the accounts they have on their server and also personal email addresses, the api key will be used to cipher the data before whm transmits it back to the applications database so that plaintext sensitive information is never transmitted

So, it won't be a site you can sign into yourself, rather a site that you signup at so that whm can use the sites database to make informed decision when accepting new clients, and also help to build the database when taking action on those clients you accept .... so except for the signup form, it doesn't even need to be interactive, just informative and clear .....

Thank you! :D I get it. Is this okay for you? http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7940/logojf8.jpg

So you just want a simple site, with a signup page, support, stats, and help?

yeah that's well cool, thanks .... you got it, just a simple site, can you include in the css some different/constrasting text styles please ??

I know you're not supposed to do this but .... BUMP

Next time I see a thread where someone is moaning about how crappy free hosting clients are and how much they take the piss, I'll be straight in there telling you all you don't have the right to complain because when presented with the opportunity to actually do something you sat there and picked your nose ..... present company excluded...

Grrrrr......

I'll tell ya what I do need, a privacy policy as suggested earlier, that's something I can't do .... any suggestions anyone, is there an online generator anywhere ??

IANAL (I am not a lawyer). I will not get it checked by a lawyer (It costs too much), but I will create one. If someone here is a lawyer, than by all means, go ahead and write one for us.

Thanks, anything is something, when I got some cash I'll get one, so long as most of the bases are covered we'll be okay for a little while .....

My mother does some legals work - I wont ask her to right it, as thats a bit much. But ill certainly ask her to look over it if thefreewebhost would like. :)

OK, I am done with writing the Privacy Policy. It complies with OECD standards. For it to comply, we need to write a script that will send people the data we have on them by means of looking up the domain name they used. The script must send an email to admin@thedomaintheused.com.. or better yet, usernametheyused@domainused.com.
Where should I upload the privacy policy so you guys can look at it? The privacy policy does not allow for removal or editing of the data, just completing it. Also, the privacy policy currently has my address and phone number, because I could not find Joe's in the Whois database. I am fine with leaving it that way, but if someone else wants to have their address / phone in it, let me know so i can change it.
Chris

Last edited:
OK, I am done with writing the Privacy Policy. It complies with OECD standards. For it to comply, we need to write a script that will send people the data we have on them by means of looking up the domain name they used. The script must send an email to admin@thedomaintheused.com.. or better yet, usernametheyused@domainused.com.
Where should I upload the privacy policy so you guys can look at it? The privacy policy does not allow for removal or editing of the data, just completing it. Also, the privacy policy currently has my address and phone number, because I could not find Joe's in the Whois database. I am fine with leaving it that way, but if someone else wants to have their address / phone in it, let me know so i can change it.
Chris

I'll pm you give me 10 minutes ... and thanks :)

Hey can I help krakjoe? What needs to be done at this point?

The (front of the) site is pretty much done now, the only slightly large hurdle left is that not every server has the same software, so can you write classes ?? anyone else ??

I just made a thingy for TheFreeWebHost's privacy policy that can take in mail, no idea what to parse yet...

Write classes for what? Within the hook or on the information server's side? I don't know Perl (usually cPanel's scripts are in Perl) but I do know PHP

I'll write hooks for as many auto-account-creation scripts as I can find. AMFR / whmCS (IF I can get my hands on a copy) / My Post4Host Script. We cannot only include free hosts with a dedicated server..... this would be pointless, as it would only cover 1-10% of the free hosting industry.
Chris

PHP classes, actually the hooks can be php, they aren't executed by perl, they are executed by the system, using perls equivalents to php system( ) ....

I gotta do quite a lot of code before I can collect information to send yet, so not just yet for that, I was aiming at some sort of generic socket, that uses fsockopen or sockets where available, and an xml2array class using the best functions available or custom methods, also have you ever used prototype ??

Back