• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should we do something about the abuse within the (free) hosting industry ??

The only personal data we collect is their email and their domain name, as both of these peices of information are publically available, theres not really a need I don't think, although it might be good to include something anyway .....

Don't change the banner.php and badge.php again, I'm happy with the way they look now, that'll do ....

Theres really no need for anyone to keep the images on their site, I'd rather they didnt' actually ....

Done. I only did that to allow people to link directly to a server instead of saving the image file to their server. Should I write a TOS that states that the host must have a Privacy Policy that allows us to collect data on their clients?
Chris

Couple of things on the Privacy Policy, if you would ....

There is information that we collect personal data all over the place, I'm not sure if that is absolutely necessary, the only names we actually collect are the hosters, the users information we collect only ever constists of an email address and a domain name, that's it, we never collect IP addresses, not even on the website ....

Also, all the things that you entered an email address for, would you mind changing all those to an internal link to /privacy/{whatever} and I'll have a look later on and write forms for all those things ...

A secure SSL connection is available actually on that domain, so "Confidentiality / Security" might be wrong ... dunno what to do about that ....

Wow, this is the fastest I have ever seen a good looking web site go up (front-end and a lot of the back-end). Its even a for a good cause!
Chris
EDIT: I will make the proper changes to the Privacy Policy and... wow joe.. find the edit button.

Joe, what do you mean you don't collect IP addresses? You don't have any statistics software on your server? You don't keep access logs?

Last edited:
But then I have to mince about quoting people and I can't be bothered already, if the mods are that bothered about it then they can merge the posts ... one last thing, I didn't know that whoisguard was enabled on that domain, I disabled it but I'm not sure what address it'll give, when it changes from that whoisguard rubbish I'll update it to that address ... it'll look better ......

Last edited:
OK, I updated it. Check it out. Feel free to edit it.
BTW: when I kept uploading banner.php and badge.php, I thought I was going insane because my changes were reverting every 2 seconds.... but it was you who was editing them :).... we need to get on the same program... do you have AIM?

Can you make us a favico ??

Also, can you upload the psd for the badge.jpg and 468x60.jpg to a /www/psd so people can download those too ...

I sure can. I'll do both.

Wow, this is the fastest I have ever seen a good looking web site go up (front-end and a lot of the back-end). Its even a for a good cause!
Chris

Pfft, me and Joe worked on the site like all day yesterday. :p:ninja: And thanks for the "Good-looking" compliment :p

EDIT: Who removed the indenting for the <ul>? I thought it looked better with.

EDIT: Something's overriding the style.css sheet, I'll check the other two css files today. Also, someone has messy coding, and there's loads of useless bit's of code I'm getting rid of. :p Otherwise, it's coming together nicely. I've done the favicon, which is simple because I tried making a HI one, but it looked crap. :D

Last edited:
eh, its 3am, 8 hours before i have to leave for work.......... so i am going to bed.... its a 8.5 hr shift :-(.
Good nite.... or morning or whatever the ---- you call it.

check me out using quotes....

Pfft, me and Joe worked on the site like all day yesterday. :p:ninja: And thanks for the "Good-looking" compliment :p

Yeah we ----in did .... and ...

Dunno, please put it back, it does look bettter, also can you make an image that is the dimensions of the lightbox make it transparent slightly so I can use it for a background for the lightbox .....

eh, its 3am, 8 hours before i have to leave for work.......... so i am going to bed.... its a 8.5 hr shift :-(.
Good nite.... or morning or whatever the ---- you call it.

It's morning for me still, thanks for all the hard work, and goodnight :)

I couldn't be bothered to edit the last post again...

EDIT: Something's overriding the style.css sheet, I'll check the other two css files today. Also, someone has messy coding, and there's loads of useless bit's of code I'm getting rid of. :p Otherwise, it's coming together nicely. I've done the favicon, which is simple because I tried making a HI one, but it looked crap. :D

Which useless code are we talking about ....

I don't have aim, I'll pick an im client today and hand out the address to as few people as possible ....

Stuff in the header/footer. I think it's the remainder of when we tried NiftyCorners. ;) Will do with the image etc. What dimensions do you want it?

That'll be for lightbox, that was chris, we need that for /install

I think it's 500x300 .....

Oh, can you re-upload it then? I already removed it :s Okay, will do.

EDIT: It's the default.css that's changing the <ul>/<li>, but I don't get why. Both have completely different ID's.

Last edited:
I can't suss it either .... but love the lightbox thing, so leave it for now and come back to it with a fresh head ....

Now I know what I need from programmers, I decided that restricting the API to cPanel/WHM will do exactly that, restrict it, so instead of aiming at cPanel, I'll write a generic API that can recieve and transmit certain account data and carry out commands on data it recieved, and what I need other people to do is write the packages that will allow the api the most interaction it can get from their favourite server software / signup script, I once the api and site are written I will provide a generic signup script and also the cpanel one, but some others are needed to maximize use ( and the data we store ) .....

The API recieves data by POST or GET and sends back a well formatted XML document with the results of the request ..... you have SSL available too ....

When I have a list of functions you can carry out and have written some docs on the site, I'll post again and update, in the mean time though, is anyone up for doing anything, please post what you plan to write for so that we dont have a load of copies of everything .... or if you're up for doing the generic one or cpanel package that would be great ....

Last edited:
Yeah they did, I swear. I added in some new ones. And they've gone again. :S The mystery of the disappearing margins. I'll sort it out tomorrow.

You can remove Default.css There is no need for it anymore. I removed the need for that formatting.
Chris

@Programmers should start to study ... http://hostinquest.com/usage that location ....
I fail to see how most of this will be used if it is "silently" integrated into cPanel. By silently I mean that is should require no extra user intervention.
Chris

Back