• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Should Youhosting resellers be banned here?

Disallowing a user for have little to no knowledge of hosting is scary to me.

Rather than Disallow new hosts, create a graded WhiteList of more established hosts. Not Rep, that's all about post tone, but something like Milestones. I've been doing Longevity. Other ones are somehow proving you are not a Reseller.

So then the "1-star" hosts can do their thing, but it will be clearer.

Main problem is the hosts that have the same offer, basically from the same provider.

if you remove the resellers with free domains and with out a decent unique design you will see that there is less than 10 youhosting hosts

and from them some offer unlimited or unmetered quotas, some offer the youhosting clasic 10GB/100GB
and my own who offer 2GB/10GB (i like to be different)

if you like we can start posts domains and count them

You dont see many youhosting sites advertising now since most were deleted. As for a host with a free domain name, personally I dont wish to see them around either, as if you cannot afford the few $$$ for a .com, you shouldnt be offering hosting to anyone. Als you arent likely to see many "Unlimited/Unmetered" hosts posting either, as those sites are against forum rules and are deleted as well.

Hosts using free domain names should not be allowed period, whether they are youhosting or not. What "company" can't afford $7 per year for a domain name? It's ridiculous.

what makes a reseller

Other ones are somehow proving you are not a Reseller.

So Resellers are not a good hosting provider at all or just the ones from youhosting? You starting me to worry. Maybe I should ask what is it that determines a reseller. I thought the thread was about youhosting making it so easy for those with little or no experiences jumping in and resell.

I got a little lost on your statement. I have been trying my hand at resell since 2009. That is not to long. I have kept the .com. I agree a free domain is not showing to much for a host or a hostee. I worry if they won't spend $10 on a domain they will not care about there website. I hope you guy's don't band me.

ttb

If you have bought a reseller package and then give out free hosting on that supported by ads or whatever, then it is something different than cobranded free hosts.

From Wikipedia said:
The key difference between co-branded and reseller services is the level of customization afforded to the individual setting up their own free hosting service and the level of autonomy afforded to the individual service owner.

You dont customize any plans from youhosting, they give you/clients 10GB space and 100 GB transfer

I don't know. YouHosting is offering you free hosting to give away to other people and it's clearly cobranded. We can't have 100's of people posting offers for the very same thing here. It wouldn't be fair to real free hosts. But I'll take a closer look at their current setup since it might have changed since I last checked.

I have in the past suggested we allow serious cobrands to post offers in a subcategory to Free hosting offers. The way I remember it members didn't like that suggestion.

Peo and Sain Cai,

Youhosting does have a paid upgrade you can get...two plans in fact. One offers 20GB and 200GB for every user (instead of the 10/100), and the other is...wait for it...unlimited everything for every user. Byte does the same thing. They have paid upgrades as well. All junk as far as I'm concerned.

My question is what is youhosting's compensation.

It honestly sounds to me like they are going to go the way of the bulk reseller hosts, ultimately proving to be a sufficiently large money pit that at some point in the future they will abruptly shut down and leave all of the hosts and clients that were using them stranded.

Their plans to me strongly suggest extreme overselling, because even under ideally-shaped traffic having a high page load to bandwidth ratio it still seems like they would not reliably earn back the resource usage- especially with 50% overhead going to the reseller level.

Ultimately, anyone using them will be hard to compete with in direct resources and power until youhosting hits a stability limit. The only way an honest free host doing the same kind of thing I do would be able to hold their ground is in support and flexibility of configuration- something that a reseller has no control over at all.

I'm honestly not sure if they should be blocked, and don't want to enter a standing that strongly suggests putting my own interests before market fairness. But at the same time I view a lot of these free resellers and cobranded hosts to be scam operations due to their notoriously high failure rate, and their tendency to undermine the trust of the clients who end up forever fearful of smaller hosts because their trust was shaken by a reseller's collapse.

Overall though, resellers are considered inferior to hosts that operate their own equipment. The reason being is that a host using their own hardware has more complete control over the process, which has been linked to higher reliability and longevity. Reseller providers often resell too much of their capacity and go out of business as a result of the money pit produced. When they do not only does the reseller provider go under, but all of the hosts using that reseller source are also sent scrambling often with total data loss.

Last edited:
Actually, there is possibilities to check if the host is a Youhosting reseller or not.
Just check their domain's DNS and see if they are using Youhosting nameserver or not.
Even if they are using their own NS name, you can still see the IP of the nameserver is Youhosting's nameserver's IP.

My question is what is youhosting's compensation.

There is none, aside from the paid upgrades. An in fact, at $40/mo. or whatever it is to upgrade to "unlimited" everything, it only takes 4 or 5 of those to pay for the server...or possibly around 3-4, since they are hosted at Burst. So I have no doubt that youhosting is making sufficient money to be around for a while. Unfortunately, their servers seem ridiculously overloaded, and are obviously ridiculously oversold.

You dont customize any plans from youhosting, they give you/clients 10GB space and 100 GB transfer

this is not true, its up to the reseller to choose how much space and bandwidth will offer
plus youhosting have paid upgrades

I have in the past suggested we allow serious cobrands to post offers in a subcategory to Free hosting offers. The way I remember it members didn't like that suggestion.

this is a good solution, if the members accept it

think about
Free Host 1: Have a sponsored reseller account or buy one for $10,$20,$30 a month. Put a script for manage the signups or a forum and create the accounts manually and start to offer free hosting, this setup allowed to post offers here
none knows how good is the service, if there is any support and how much overselling but is welcome to post offers

Free Host 2: Is a cobranded host, its some years old, its custom, have 1000s free users and 100s paid clients but is not allowed to post offers here

i do not see how this is fair or how this help the forum quality

Free Host 1: Have a sponsored reseller account or buy one for $10,$20,$30 a month. Put a script for manage the signups or a forum and create the accounts manually and start to offer free hosting, this setup allowed to post offers here
none knows how good is the service, if there is any support and how much overselling but is welcome to post offers

Free Host 2: Is a cobranded host, its some years old, its custom, have 1000s free users and 100s paid clients but is not allowed to post offers here

i do not see how this is fair or how this help the forum quality

It's not fair to the other hosts in that cobranded based hosts end up competing against each other with offerings out of the reach of the stand alone startup, and many of these cobrand operations are coming from the same providers creating a situation where a failure affects several entire hosts at once.

Really if it's going to come down to a question of cobrand vs reseller, then perhaps it would be in everyone's interest to simply disallow resellers entirely. If you can't afford at minimum a VPS to host yourself with you aren't allowed to advertise here. It would certainly do away with the ever-annoying problems of hosts using free domain names because they haven't the startup investment to buy a real one.

I've seen enough co-branded resellers messing around with the same offer.
It not only caused those who take out their own money to run the real hosting suffer lost, these co-branded reseller also usually have no responsibility on their client.
Perhaps there are some of them who really did check the support tickets regularly, but most of them didn't, as they think that they didn't spend money to get the reseller account, they didn't do their work properly and caused frustration to a lot of the users.
Furthermore, I've seen some of these co-branded fighting each other and causing a lot of unnecessary issues among the communities.
So forbidding these co-branded host to post offer here, is a wise choice.

Really if it's going to come down to a question of cobrand vs reseller, then perhaps it would be in everyone's interest to simply disallow resellers entirely. If you can't afford at minimum a VPS to host yourself with you aren't allowed to advertise here. It would certainly do away with the ever-annoying problems of hosts using free domain names because they haven't the startup investment to buy a real one.

Completely agree. Free domain names should be disallowed. Resellers for shared hosting should be disallowed. If you're going to run a business, run a business properly.

- No free domain names even under premium TLDs (.in or .info for example).

- No cobranded offers.

- No (free) resellers.

If someone is paying $9.99 per year for their domain and $39.99 per month for a reseller account at HostGator, they should not be banned from advertising here.

the problem is that many members feels somehow a big and unfair competition from the free resellers/cobranded hosts

i do not like too to see 10 or 20 NEW youhosting or cobranded host to make offers here but there is also established resellers/cobranded hosts who cant make offers here now

event if they are for some years online, have create a brand name for them and host 10.000s accounts

i believe that some resellers/cobranded hosts must be allowed to post offers

i believe that some resellers/cobranded hosts must be allowed to post offers

Let them pay for it then. If they believe that strongly in their cobranded services, the premium advertising rates here at freewebspace.net shouldn't be beyond their reach.

Back