• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Subdomain question.

CrazyaZnBoii

How do you make a sub-domain pointing to another nameserver (not the same as the main domain)

Example: My main domain is on SERVER1 to it's pointed to ns1.server1.com and ns2.server1.com. But I want to point my sub-domain to ns1.server2.com and ns2.server2.com

I wonder how do you do it. I use name cheap by the way.
Thanks in advance.

You cant as far as i know.
you have to create a subdomain and redirected it or use that account,but you cant change the name server.

How do you make a sub-domain pointing to another nameserver (not the same as the main domain)

Example: My main domain is on SERVER1 to it's pointed to ns1.server1.com and ns2.server1.com. But I want to point my sub-domain to ns1.server2.com and ns2.server2.com

I wonder how do you do it. I use name cheap by the way.
Thanks in advance.

This can be done through hosting account and not by domain registrar

it is easy when you have a reseller account but not the cPanel acconuts ,

If you have cPanel accounts , You have to contact your admin !

If you have your domain on SERVER 1, Your admin or reseller can add a

sub-domain and can change the name server for the particular sub-domain to

NS1.SERVER2.COM and NS2.SEVER2.COM

If you would like to have a subdomain that points to a different server than the main server, you would need to create a A name entry at the registrar for that subdomains so that you can point it to a different server.

There's this DNS record thing named NS records. You basically go like:

subdomain.server1.com. [TTL] NS ns1.server2.com.
subdomain.server1.com. [TTL] NS ns2.server2.com.

You can either add this to the appropriate file in /var/named or just use cPanel's Edit DNS feature.

When I said "like" I meant like, not exact. You probably need to put an "IN" somewhere in there....

Back