• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Tables vs. CSS

What do you use for making layouts?

• Tables

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • CSS

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • A WYSIWYG editor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <div>'s, <p>'s, and such

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Uh, what?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tree

Hrm?
NLC
Many people use tables to create layouts, and many are very opposed to using tables for that. They argue that tables are for data that needs to be displayed in a table. Personally, I use tables.

While CSS is very precise and always accurate, I find it is tedious to script.

Which do you use?

Last edited:
Well, I use a little of both actually. I make tables and customize things with CSS. So I don't know what to say.

CSS all the way. I dont even think i learnt how to do tables. something like <TABLE><TR><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>, but i dont know what they all mean.

I meant using CSS for absolute positioning. I use CSS for colors, borders, etc. But for the layout's "bones" I use tables.

Good to hear. I often see all sorts of "purists" who claim that tables shouldn't be used for layouts...but I say if it works, go for it.

Sure, standards would be nice. It is quite a mess that we have gotten into, with regards to browsers rendering pages differently, and all the shoddy code out there.

I don't really know the answer, but I don't think that following the standards to the </T> will make everything better.

Tables suck.

They are NOT DESIGNED FOR LAYOUT.

Join the anti-table (for layout) movement.
http://www.workingwith.me.uk/tablefree/

btw css and div are the same thing, in the sense that they're combined as one layout method. CSS doesn't do anything, niether do DIVs. It's when you combine them that they handle layout.

And they handle it good, nothing is more precise, nothing gives us much control.

Tables are so inferior to CSS it's downright ridiculous to use them!

I personally think it is all a matter of what works for the specific designer. I say, use what you are good at. I use whatever gets the right look fo a particular site.

In some instances, I will use tables combined with css, and in others, only css. Some people like Starcraftmazter think css is the best thing to ever happen to the web desing world, and I would agree to a certain extent. Others hate it and wouldnt use it for the simple fact, they dont understand it, or know how to impliment it. I love it, but, I will continue to use whatever works best for the particular site I am designing.

Using Pure CSS, it is difficult to obtain proper horizontal alignment. Another problem with CSS is ensuring a proper page footer. If your site design requires complex horizontal alignment or a reliable page footer, I would suggest minimal tables could help you to remove complex browser incompatibilities. If you are going to try CSS and encounter a problem of major browser compatibilities, you should move towards CSS with minimal tables used. Table needs many more refinements, so it will done by CSS.

Yes, setting each table's cell to a CSS class is what I do. Looks great, and minimizes browser complications.

CSS for layouts, tables for tabular data.

I won't shoot you if you don't follow this, but I may consider it. :p

tables <-- mess after making it
pure css <-- mess while making it

all in all, if you want a quick way to do layouts, tables are fine. if you want a "clean" way to do layouts that is editable within a single file at a cost of "longer" and arguably "complex" coding, then do CSS.

martin ewing said:
Using Pure CSS, it is difficult to obtain proper horizontal alignment.

How?

martin ewing said:
Another problem with CSS is ensuring a proper page footer. If your site design requires complex horizontal alignment or a reliable page footer, I would suggest minimal tables could help you to remove complex browser incompatibilities.

What in god's name are you talking about here?

martin ewing said:
If you are going to try CSS and encounter a problem of major browser compatibilities, you should move towards CSS with minimal tables used.

By browser incapabilities, I assume you mean IE's lack of being capable to actually work as a browser.

It can still display basic css which you use for layout.

I hate that word ''CSS'' < It makes you go crazy when building a website even tho it is cool :), but I also love tables.

Starcraftmazter said:

Starcraftmazter said:
What in god's name are you talking about here?
I think you need to learn CSS and tables. You should go through the article provided at w3schools.com It is really good web learning center. You should also go through this review to know more.

Starcraftmazter said:
By browser incapabilities, I assume you mean IE's lack of being capable to actually work as a browser.

It can still display basic css which you use for layout.

Capability and Compatibility is different thing IMO. :wink2:

Well, because of all this hype about CSS, and I'm getting increasingly pissed at this layout that I'm making with tables, I'm trying it with purely CSS. We'll see how it turns out.

I know CSS is better, but the divs are the most confusing part for me for some reason :S. Can't lock those down :/ So I'm forced to use tables.

Back