• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The AJC is stupid...

foo2thabar

NLC
The AJC (Atlanta Journal-Constitution, a newspaper) publishes a Personal Tech section on sundays. This is a small, very windows-biased section on computers and the occasional small technological development. I was scanning the section for anything interesting and came across a small, three paragraph article talking about networking.

Pay attention to the last sentence.

One computer can be a network
If you havent yet installed a home computer network, you probably will soon. It's one of those trends that seems to have good legs. Most often, it's an easy job, even for a beginner. However, a little help can come in handy.
PCWorld has some good help available at www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,102492,00.asp . You will find some advice that speeds a routine installation. But more important, you'll find help for times when things don't go right.
Networks are a good idea, by the way, even in one-computer families. The network adapter serves to shield your computer from hackers when you are on the internet.

Now, if anyone can tell me how something which isn't connected to the internet in a one-computer home unless under certain circumstances (i.e. one of those special cable/dsl modems) and which has no firewall capabilities, can protect your computer from hackers.......

These guys have no grasp on the concept of computer security.:confused2

The network adapter serves to shield your computer from hackers when you are on the internet.
Dear lord. They just stated that anyone with a NIC installed is protected on the internet. Ugh. I can't believe someone got paid to write that. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Miller
But not even close to a large majority. :rolleyes:

Of course not, but I'm just saying that there are some.

But for the price of a NIC with a firewall, I can get a gigabit NIC card...

I didn't know there were NICs with hardware firewalls built in, but I doubt the author of the article knew that either. I'm not sure what they were talking about, hehe.

That's nothing, last week the Help Desk section recommended WinXP Home Edition to a local fire station to run the emergency alarm system.....they were using Win98 before......

Originally posted by Miller
Dear lord. They just stated that anyone with a NIC installed is protected on the internet. Ugh. I can't believe someone got paid to write that. :rolleyes:
And nearly all of Atlanta gets that paper (10 million people) too...that means almost 10 million people will think that....:nervous:

Back