• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

ThE LongesT ThreaD EveR

That's what Milich's daughter whispers to Bill in the back room of the costume shop. It's very low; you can't hear it unless you turn the volume way, way up (or turn on the subtitles, but then that's not exactly hearing it).

Ermine is weasel fur. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, it was fashionable among the ruling class to dress in these furs. It was thought ermine somehow represented morality and valued tradition. Thus, this quote could be saying one of two things: She is making fun of Bill. Though without he appears a respectable and upstanding doctor, within he boils over with lust and deceitful passions. He is only lined with ermine. I prefer that theory, but it could be more simple, perhaps she is merely informing him of the dress code for The Party. Either way, it reveals to us conclusively that she knows of Bill's connexion to Nick, she knows what Nick has told him, and she knows of what Bill intends to do. Her knowledge of this means she is more than just a daughter of a costume shop owner-- much more. She has intimate relations with the unseen class above Victor's, perhaps in more ways than one.

Could she be the masked woman who may have sacrificed herself for Bill after he's discovered? (Was he discovered, or was he known all along?) I don't believe so. However, I don't believe the next likely candidate, Amanda, was the woman either. Perhaps no one was killed at all. Perhaps Victor was telling the truth in the billiard room. We know one thing, though. Victor knew Nick. Nick performed at The Party. Victor says he recommended Nick to "those people", but we don't know that. Victor had Bill followed after The Party, as he have have done before. Victor could very well have been at The Party, but he and his wife surely were not those that nodded to Bill from the balcony. Two items become a bit of a puzzle if he was a guest, however. Milich's daughter knew well in advance Bill's had the password and planned to use it. Her superiors must have known the same, if not more. If Victor is as high-ranking has he presents himself, why did he not know until after? He also makes a fatal mistake when explaining what "really" happened in the billiard room: when speaking of Amanda, whom Bill thinks to be the masked woman, he said she was a drug addict (no problem there), that she over-dosed (perhaps), and that Bill saw her when she over-dosed in his bathroom the night of his Christmas party. He's confusing her with Mandy, which is excusable in itself, but in saying this he's in agreement with Bill in naming his savior. He's fully contradicted himself. He doesn't know, he's only taking Bill's leads and running with them. I don't think Victor was at The Party at all, or if he was, he was just one of the many cloaked guests on the floor-- in the know enough to say they're in the know, but totally excluded from the inner knowledge of the organization. Then nothing Victor says is to be trusted as true and the dialogue in the billiard room only exposed him as a liar.

Then was the masked woman Amanda? You can make the case, but the facts just don't fit. If you consider the event and then look at the very distinct classes already setup, you start to believe that Victor knew about at least one thing. Five clear classes are portrayed in the film, Bill resides in the middle (an apt place for his character). There is the class of Domino, a prostitute, working the streets, living from day to day. There is the class of Nick and Milich, who you might call regular people, working regular enough jobs for their slightly less than comfortable lives. There is the class belonging to Bill, the doctor, who lives very well but must work hard for his keep. There is the class of the Nathansons, who need not work as they come from inherited money, though most of it fairly new. There is the class of Victor, of old money, living a life filled with fine things but one that is unhappy, as pleasure overdone is no longer pleasurable. Those are the five clear classes. Above them all is the sixth class, a class so far removed its very structure is clouded in mist. It is a class of limitless wealth and unchecked power. A class so very high above all the others that its members are faceless, nameless... invisible, but ever present, ever pressing. They go beyond the opulence Victor surrounds himself in to feel powerful-- theirs is true power. The Christmas festivities Bill was invited to was Victor's party. The ritualized orgy of this class, of these people, was The Party. Those invited to it were, as Bill was to Victor, only pawns in a game bigger than any of them understand. Is it not reasonable to assume they would prey on the classes that would serve them most and with the least chance of advancement or will of it? Victor used Bill for his services alone, not because of his class or character, Milich used his daughter likewise, it is only logical they would do the same. We should look for the masked woman in the ranks of the proletariat. She was, as Victor said she was, a hooker. Not only does it make sense, it binds the uppermost and lowermost classes and turns society into a beautiful ring.

Were you to think of the upper and lower class as extremes and not as two sides of the same coin, then you have many similarities to contend with. The most obvious of these is clearly that both have the virtues of invisibility. The upper because they have shed the empty opulence of their contenders like Victor, the lower because they never had it. They can disappear and no one will question where they've gone. If Victor was lying, and Bill's savior was, in a sense, martyred... who better to kill than one who will not be missed? Who better to kill than a prostitute?

What became of Domino?

(Not only that, but you can compare the shape of their pubic hair (the only identifiable characteristic, the others having been masked). Mandy was definitely not the masked woman, nor was Amanda. Milich's daughter never appeared nude, though from what you could see through her rather sheer undergarments, it wasn't her either. Process of elimination points to Domino, but many others warrant at least discussion, and we cannot forget the dream aspect-- the woman may very well be an amalgamation.)

I'm continually drawn to scene in the hotel lobby. Something about that setting and exchange strikes me as immensely important, though I can't say exactly why or what it could be saying... much like the picture book scene in Barry Lyndon.

Unless you were looking for a more simple reply, like "it's a quote from a movie".

Never really understood that. Seems as though that would only bolster the fur industry, all the paint-ees would have to buy replacement furs.

"As you can see, we don't think fur is murder-- but paying for it sure is! Heh heh heh heh heh."

Yeah, but I'd take them over the bomb-weilding nutcases that follow a fat man carrying a little dead baby around. "Abortion is murder", yeah, blowing someone up is murder too-- ever try chanting that?

But pointing out these extremes does no good. Liberals have their good sides, and I'm sure conservatives do too... buried deep in them somewhere, pale from never seeing the sun... but I'm sure it's there ;). Nah, you don't want to go too far left or right, that's where the crazies live.

Maybe politics has nothing to do with it, maybe all our problems come from religion... same difference, when you think about it. I don't suppose it matters much. Extremes are still, well, extreme, whatever the excuse.

I will agree with you on condemning the tree-hugging environmentalists, though, at least the ones that take it beyond good taste. A little tree-hugging environmentalism isn't bad. In fact, it's needed. Besides, trees are good huggers... unless they're pointy like hawthorns or prickly like spruces or inordinately sappy. The sap problem extends to people, too, but tree sap is easier to wash off.

- Do you wear boxers or briefs?
- Nope.
- What religion are you?
- You know, the one with all the well-meaning rules that don't work out in real life... um... Christianity.

Originally posted by Dusty
Yeah, but I'd take them over the bomb-weilding nutcases that follow a fat man carrying a little dead baby around. "Abortion is murder", yeah, blowing someone up is murder too-- ever try chanting that?
what the hell are you talking about? are you defending the murder of helpless human beings or what?

Back